PDA

View Full Version : Windsocks

squall
2nd Oct 2003, 09:04
Jut wondering if anyone could tell me the reference point for finding info on windsocks.

There is some limited info on the primary and secondary windsocks in the AIP. I just want to know about wind strength and fully inflated windsoks and windsocks at 45 degrees.

I can't find any info officially written anywhere about how to interpret the windsock.

ANy help much appreciated.

SQUALL

splatgothebugs
2nd Oct 2003, 11:10
Depends on the type of windsocks in use, the NZ socks are generally 25kts max (90 deg) so therefore @ 45 deg you are looking around 12-13kts. :ok:

cjam
2nd Oct 2003, 16:17
Splat.....the wind speed is the sine of the angle x the max of 25kts, ie at 45 degrees it would be about 16kts. 12 to 13kts would be when it is at 30 degrees (sine of thirty equals 0.5).
Same as when you work out cross winds.
How confusing was that?

splatgothebugs
3rd Oct 2003, 06:04
Yeah right, if you can work that out using your noggin every time you sir are a legend:)

I only gave a rough figure for him to use off the top of my head.:ok:

cjam
3rd Oct 2003, 08:45
yeah....good point splat, i think i need to get out more, I'll ask the nurse.

Bonza!
4th Oct 2003, 17:16
UUUMm, whats a sine?. how owuld anyone work out that stuff in their heads...... unless they're real clever....... and if thats the case, what are they doing anywhere near an aircraft?. :}

currawong
5th Oct 2003, 14:48
AIRMANSHIP stuff that should be in big letters on the front page of Flight Guides/ERSA etc.

Wonder why it isn't..........

OzExpat
5th Oct 2003, 15:17
No, no, no Bonza!, ya gotit all wrong... it's just a sine of the times...:p Therefore the windsock gives ya a sine of great portent... :} It's really just that simple! :D

ITCZ
5th Oct 2003, 23:13
What the hell is someone who DOESN'T know rough ratios for sine of common angles, doing taking good money off someone to fly an airplane?

Applications?
Drift, enroute and in the hold
Headwind and crosswind components
Effect of bank angle on climb performance/load factor S&L
Propellor theory
etc

Maybe we have found the reason that pay and conditions are slipping in this profession. Instead of getting the top half of the class that understand what their aeroplane is doing, we are getting dimwits that think maths and aeroplanes dont mix (er... hello?) need to punch 2+2 into calculators to get an answer and whinge about how hard the (multiple choice!) ATPL exams are to pass.

Young people these days.....

splatgothebugs
6th Oct 2003, 08:10
ITCZ, bit up yourself aren't you.

If you sit on short finals or on the ground for that matter and work out the exact wind component using sine or cosine, I'm thinking your mind isn't where it should be.

If you are such an educated person like your post reads, perhaps you should read all the other posts and see what is blindly obvious.

''They are in good humour'' :ok:

cjam
6th Oct 2003, 10:53
Uh ohhh....we're not going to fight are we?
The funny thing is with things like this that for the first week or so (ie when you're at some stage of your cpl) that you start calculating crosswind components and wind speeds , drift etc it takes a bit of mental effort but from then on it is reeaal easy man.
I am amazed at how many people can't quickly work out a cross wind componant accurately, if you get a good rule of thumb it takes about 2 seconds, literally, to work it out. I was always 'average' at maths so for you bright sparks it must be about 1 second!

P.S. Mr Convergence Zone,

I am just a spring chicken......old people now days....always so quick to judge! heh heh heh

dogcharlietree
6th Oct 2003, 20:47
Limp - 0-5 kts
1/4 up - 10 kts
1/2 up - 15 kts
3/4 up - 20 kts
Full Up (Horizontal) - 25-30 kts (min)

Source: ASD #135 page 22.

nike
7th Oct 2003, 04:39
If you sit on short finals or on the ground for that matter and work out the exact wind component using sine or cosine, I'm thinking your mind isn't where it should be.

What is wrong with sitting on the ground and working out the XWC?

Where should my mind be when I am sitting on the ground?

I think it is important to know a few simple 'methodologies' about trigonometry. And just because someone is CAPABLE of making these quick mental calculations does not mean their mind is wandering.

Oh, and to make sure this thread was all in jest,

KNOCK, KNOCK..............

cjam
7th Oct 2003, 07:17
.........who's there?

Thump & Go
7th Oct 2003, 11:01
nike I think we were sitting on the ground working out the head wind from an erect, flaccid or otherwise windsock in squall's first post, not the XWC. In any case, the old add 20 method always works well (roughly) when in a hurry for XWC or knowing basic cos/sin for 30/45/60 degrees for any other head/crosswind calcs in flight.
ITCZ, seems a bit of mesoscale activity is brewing in the zone!;)

There was an Englishman, an Irishman and a Maori...........:p

splatgothebugs
7th Oct 2003, 12:20
Alright, I admit it wasn't the finest bit of writing.

All I was trying to get @ was we all know how to work out wind components and we all have our own little techniques. However what I was trying to get @ was pulling out the calculator on short finals.

Nike, sorry there is nothing wrong with doing it on the ground :D

Now can somebody help me out I'm having trouble with a question. What is 2 + 2 = 22 ?????????????:O

cjam
7th Oct 2003, 15:41
oohh come on nike....who's there? aahh well, I'll tell one;

A dyslexic walks into a bra........