PDA

View Full Version : How widespread is this rain

Ozgrade3
1st Oct 2003, 22:29
Finaly it rained in Sydney today. From lunchtime today at YSSY an almost constant drizzle, good enough to give the ground a good soak but not so hard as to run off and be wasted. Some FA's I spoke to today said they had good rain in Canberra, Orange and Dubbo. Hope fully some fell in the Sydney water catchment area and further out west. Our farmers could really do with a good soak.

Anyone else around the state see good rains?

luna landing
2nd Oct 2003, 00:02
Enough rain to close the roads around Broken Hill - Tibooburra - White Cliffs - Cameron Corner and lots of other 2 horse towns around there. Also heavy rain at the moment in Gundagai.

jerrry
2nd Oct 2003, 05:51
Yes OG3, Billy Whitworth said that he didnt have to put the sprinkler on out the front ............

Torres
2nd Oct 2003, 06:41
Good rains in central and south west Queensland. Yipppeee!!! :ok: :ok: :ok:

Time Out
2nd Oct 2003, 06:51
You may know the BOM site, but it does have some interesting rainfall bulletins, including daily and weekly in each state. Just a thought. Queensland Eg (http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/qld/observations.shtml)

Transition Layer
2nd Oct 2003, 08:00
Another good chart from the BOM website is this one -

Rainfall and River Information (http://www.bom.gov.au/hydro/flood/)

Looks quite widespread indeed!

Cheers,
TL

quarter hr pack
3rd Oct 2003, 02:06
Sure is good to see some decent rain around, though remember it isn't going to do much at this time of year for everyone who put in a crop around May/June, and hasn't had any rain since! :{

Torres
3rd Oct 2003, 04:32
Had around an inch in central Queensland. :ok:

But it's a clear blue sky today. :{

Bendo
3rd Oct 2003, 06:03
Send it to Scone, Bob, and you can have the rain.

I know its good for the farmers but I would prefer the drought broke AFTER the airshow...

Torres
3rd Oct 2003, 08:28
Bendo. G'Day mate. Nice rain the past couple of days, but fine and cool today.

8 8ths blue - would be able see Perth if the earth was flat!

Have a great air show!

gaunty
3rd Oct 2003, 14:35
Torres

It is flat, the only reason YOU can't see Perth is because like the Emperors clothes thing, only those who DONT drink XXXX Gold are able to. :=

Mind you that baby pink elephant who was circling my bed last night after that bottle of rough red was cute.:rolleyes:

Bendo

Hope you have a great show and please don't lead my man Daniel astray. :p

Woomera
3rd Oct 2003, 15:06
Gaunty's been sniffing Tarzans Grip again! :yuk:

Raingauge
3rd Oct 2003, 20:00
No rain in the gauge yet.

OpsNormal
3rd Oct 2003, 21:19
ROFLMAO at the image of old Bill out there in the rain...."Whoar, look at this rain, eh, EH? WHOAR!!!!"

OG3, are you still around down that way? Whatchoo doon these days? Still getting them "hot dates"?

We had 16mm officially in Alice, and it seemed to mainly fall out of the trailing edge of the system. Followed up by a very strong wind for the next day or so, relieving us of much of the moisture on the ground and depositing it back into the system from which it came.

Geez W, that's a nasty thing to get 'stuck' on!!

:ok:

the wizard of auz
3rd Oct 2003, 21:29
the earths not flat , strewth,......... when did this happen?????????? ;)

we had a big issue of rain out here over the last couple of days, its a real bugga, makes all the easy big mobs of goats into hard to muster small mobs.

OpsNormal
3rd Oct 2003, 21:33
Oh, Monday, tuesday. Mostly tuesday night from memory for us.

Didn't you get any?
;)

Ace on Base
3rd Oct 2003, 22:13
When are we going to get some blue in South Oz, Been nothing but rain, approaches, rain, approaches, rain, approaches, rain, approaches, rain, approaches, rain, approaches here for what feels like months!!:{ :{ :{

quarter hr pack
4th Oct 2003, 19:53
Nice change from last year then!

Wizard of Auz, where abouts are you mustering those goats? Ive heard in some places that have been having a bad run for quite a while now, that the wild goats can be just as useful as the sheep/cattle in terms of earing a dollar for the farmer, what do you reckon?

the wizard of auz
5th Oct 2003, 16:39
Mate, I am mustering the goats in the bush to out of the bush.
your quite right though, some have had it particularly hard this year (as my bank balance reflects) and the old billy goat (and nannys) are actually bringing better money than sheep at times. last look was around the $58.oo ph on the property for 15 to 25kg animals. some of the bigger stuff is bringing better money and if you were clever and forward sold, some of the 5Kg+ are getting + $50.oo.
It seems that this year, the goat was the only animal that thrived on the dry and hard conditions.