PDA

View Full Version : ground school at OAT

italianpilot
1st Oct 2003, 18:15
Hi guys!!
After i have got my PPL i'm looking forward to achieve the ATPL theory at the ground school at OAT..
the best is the ground school at OAT or the distance learning? The reason that maybe i would prefer the distance learning is that it permits to me to continue working here in Italy untill the ATPL's exams, and if successfull i will than go there in OAT to continue for the CPL skills test.But on the other hand i would like to prepare myself in the best way possible, so which is the best route?
The next and last question is: do you think this could be the correct way to get a good training:
1)PPL in Italy 2)ground school at OAT or distance learing 3)Hours building (about 100/150) in USA (i would save a lot of money with this route...) 4)CPL/ME/IR/NQ/MCC/JOT in OAT?
Thank you and apologize for the very long post..:)

FlyingForFun
1st Oct 2003, 18:32
Only you can answer that question. Obviously studying full-time, being around people who are doing the same course as you, having instant access to instructors if necessary and constantly being pushed to complete work on time is preferable to being left to get on with it. But only you can know how likely you are to be able to complete a distance learning course, how good you are at studying alone, how motivated you are to keep going when it all seems too much, and whether carrying on working is important enough to be worth the effort of doing a distance learning course. Some people are more capable of doing this than others. A small number of people actually claim to prefer distance learning, where they are not forced to study at the same speed as everyone else. We're all different.

As to your plan, it all sounds fine, except that there used to be a rule that whatever country issued your JAR PPL, all further JAR licenses must be issued by the same country. If you hold an Italian PPL, therefore, the CPL and ATPL would have to be issued by Italy (but not the IR, ME, etc etc etc, which are ratings and not licenses, and so can be done in any country). I think this rule has been relaxed, if not completely removed, recently, but I don't know the details - but it might be worth checking with either or both of the Italian and British CAA to check that your plan is ok with them before you go too much further.

FFF
---------------

VORTILON
1st Oct 2003, 20:13
ItalianP,

FFF's right, i'd be very careful about doing an Italian PPL then JAA licences in UK. The uk might not issue an applicant a flight crew licence,who's carried out other training in another member state.This is where the word 'Joint' in JAAseems misleading to me!
Definitely do some research with the JAA, Italian & UK CAA. Best of luck.

italianpilot
1st Oct 2003, 21:00
Thank you for your replays!!
I think the PPL as to be necessarly ICAO, not important where you take it!!
does someone else can confirm me this?!
:)

Send Clowns
1st Oct 2003, 21:07
You are right italianpilot. It is, in the end, only the CPL and IR training that is required to be in the country of initial CPL/IR issue. I would however recommend you have some flying experience here before you take the CPL course as all flying environments are different. You might like to do some of your hour building post-PPL for example. Of course you should be able to get a UK-issue JAA PPL on the strength of your Italian-issue licence, though the fees at the CAA can seem shocking.

Send Clowns
Instructor, BCFT groundschool, UK

italianpilot
1st Oct 2003, 21:15
i agree with you send clowns! In fact once i've done the PPL here in Italy, the major of the hours building in USA, i would start and finish my fATPL there in UK...and of course i will do some hours building also there in UK!!
thank you again!