PDA

View Full Version : ops in Niamey, Niger, Africa

NOSIGN
1st Oct 2003, 12:54
G'day,

Has anyone any local knowledge of facilities/ conditions at Niamey aerodrome , Niger? i.e. who has hangars and how many? weather/ climate history, security etc

Any light shed is greatly appreciated in advance,

cheers

:cool:

Zeke
1st Oct 2003, 15:43
Niamey aerodrome , Niger information (http://www.worldaerodata.com/wad.cgi?airport=Niamey)

Z :ok:

Treetopflyer
3rd Oct 2003, 03:22
- Weather: rainy season roughly July to Septembre, the rest is dry season with good possibility of harmattan and poor visibility.

- Condition: if you are talking about the runway/tarmac/ATC, good, ASECNA standard.

- Security: locals in uniform letting anybody with a pilot shirt on the airport surface... same old story...

- Hangars available: you need to contact one of the two local operators, Nigeravia and Niger Air Service. I advise you the last one, the boss is an unusually reliable local named Abdoulaye Kabo. I don't have his number anymore, but you can find it in the JP Airline Fleets or when you get to DRRN as everybody knows him there. He will sort out your needs in exchange for a reasonnable amount of money. You can also try the Nigerien military on the other side of the field, they have huge empty hangars and the right equipment. You can strike a deal with them, maybe not as far as hangar space is concerned, but certainly as far as borrowing (renting?!?) maintenance equipment from them is -- I actually did it for some time when I was stuck there and it worked!

- WHERE TO DRINK (you forgot to ask but I will correct this for you...:E): La Cloche, next to the old Air Afrique ticket office in the centre of town is the coolest bar. The trendy night club where to go is in the Sheraton Gaweye Hotel nearby the river -- S**T, I forgot the name... :* My amnesia must have something to do with the amounts of JD & coke I drank there...:rolleyes: :yuk:

Other than that, not much going on there... Have fun anyway.