PDA

View Full Version : Hour building in S Africa

strafer
30th Sep 2003, 20:25
I've done a search on this, but a lot of the info's a bit old - so, can I have some recommendations of where to go/not go for 2 weeks hour building at the end of Nov? Also, what are the current licensing requirements for people with JAA PPLs?

I realise that I'll be coming just after England win the World Cup, but I'll try not to mention it too much;)

Dank je wel

Vortex Thing
5th Oct 2003, 05:17
You can fly on a validation but you cannot add any rating s to a validation. I.e if your JAA PPL doesnt include night then you will not be able to fly night there.

If on the other hand you get an SA medical sit the very easy PPL exams and get a SA Student licence and then do the SA PPL skill test. You are exempted all the training as your JAR PPL counts as a contracting ICAO PPL and then you get an SA PPL.

You have flown the same test and can now add ratings such as night IR etc if you wish whilst you hours build which will enable you to convert your IR (for instance) when you return only having to do 15 hrs in UK rather than 55hr IR. Good eh.

As for where to go go anywhere except FTC unless you really really really want to fight every day for every aircraft and pay for your own fuel, get yourself out of any trouble and possibly risk your life.

Good luck.

VT

Propellor Head
30th Oct 2003, 14:35
Dear Strafer,

I would agree with some of the past coments regarding FTC but..... Alpine Avaition has acquired 100% of the old FTC. I'm down in SA now and I can tell you that everything has changed for the better.

You won't get cheaper rates anywhere else in the world and despite FTC's chequered past - the Pheonix has arisen !!!

New company is controlled by a very creditable organisation and I am sure that you would enjoy your experience there - just give it a try. Nothing lost, but a great deal of money saved.

Just one thought - a great many of the comments previously entered onto pprune where from disaffected wannabee JAA CPL's & ATPLs who were just too bloody idle to settle down and study........spent too much time at Teasers revue bar and Giovannis p...... it up all the time - I know, i've seen them (not a pretty sight)!!

Flying surfer
13th Nov 2003, 03:04
Strafer,

I have just returned from SA so you can fire any quetions you want at me as I flew all over the place. send me a private mail if you like

Vortex Thing
19th Nov 2003, 01:16
The dissaffected that you refer to were mainly not residential ATPL studes. They were people like my good self who had gone out there with all the JAR ATPL exams finished and only required to fly.

The flying was what was complained of. Most did not say that the FTC notes were poor or the ground instruction poor.

They merely complained about the fact that their lives seemed to be secondary to FTC cashflow worries and HOTs eyeshadow budget.

This aside as noted FTC now under new ownership and as long as the former MD, CFI & HOT are now nothing whatsoever to do with FTC, Jo'burg or Africa there is a good chance that seeing as the location is good and the opportunity better that they may be a successful school once again.

Unfortunately memories and therefore reputations are long and they would be better of with a new name as many will take some convincing that anything with the name FTC in it can be something not to run a mile from.

Just a thought IMHO,

VT

Skaz
20th Nov 2003, 02:50
as long as they change the ground school lecturers too...

George Tower
21st Nov 2003, 01:58
I'm in the UK at the minute much to my disappointment - reading through November's edition of Flyer didn't do much for my mood either. There is a big feature on a SA flying. It answers all your questions regarding licences and such like.

If you want a copy of the article send me a private message and I'll email it to you. (I checked their website and it doesn't seem to be on it.)

GormanInkarnati
21st Nov 2003, 02:24
Is there any truth in the rumour that Alpine has pulled out of FTC recently?

Cardinal Puff
21st Nov 2003, 03:55
Do you want to operate coastally or inland? With summer coming up the hot and high conditions on the highveld may be what you need to keep you on your toes. If so, may I suggest Wonderboom near Pretoria as an operating base. The owner of the restaurant (brilliant pizzas) has a few rooms overlooking the apron that are available. There are two schools I can suggest, with similar price structures and both are willing to arrange a validation of your UK PPL. Please pm me for more info if you're interested.

Wonderboom is situated around 4 minutes flying time from the Training Area and is close to shopping facilities and restaurants. The Hatfield entertainment precinct is about 15 minutes drive into town and crawling with nubile university tottie. Game farms/camps and other destinations are within easy reach of the field by air and Botswana is 1.5 hour's flight time to the west in a C172. There are a number of skydiving clubs close by that are quite happy to have someone drop in on a Saturday afternoon for a barbecue (braai) and a few beers then sack out in the bunkhouse overnight and continue to destination on Sunday morning. A gliding club lies around twenty minutes to the West and another is around an hour to the SW if you'd like to drop in for a visit.

There are around 5 or 6 fields within an hour's flying time from Pretoria/JHB, all with FTOs but as far as I know W/boom is the only one you can actually stay on the airport.

Good luck.