PDA

View Full Version : Dam ATPL flight planning exam

otta here
30th Sep 2003, 10:28
I am comming up to my third attemp for this exam. Each other time I have known my material but have run out of time. Does any one have any tips that may save before I have to give ASL more $$$

Thanks in advance

Otta here:ok:

34R
30th Sep 2003, 11:39
I failed my first attempt at FP. I then locked myself in a room and did all of Nathan Higgins practice cyber exams under exam conditions for the next 2 weeks and re sat with a much better end result.
I felt comfortable with content knowledge but similarly had to organise my exam time a little better. Doing the practice exams under strict exam conditions helped tremendously. I figured out roughly how much time I should be devoting to certain questions, based on their mark content and used that as a guide for time spent in the exam. I can roughly remember leaving myself about 20 - 25 minutes per question for the last 4 questions. The last thing you want is to rush those ones when they will yield the most marks.
Dont panic, just RTFQ and work as steady as you can....Good Luck

Titan Driver
30th Sep 2003, 13:29
You've probably been told this already but...start with the big questions at the bottom of the exam first. From memory you only need to stuff up three of these and any other question and it's all over.

I recommend doing Nathans full time course as he teaches you a few little tricks which may make the difference. In the end the cost is worth it. :ok:

Ash767
30th Sep 2003, 13:34
Otta

Have a look at your exam technique.
Do what 34R said and allocate time to each mark. For example I think I worked it out to be around 3 - 3.5 min per mark so that is close to 20min per Flight plan.

A technique that I used was to start with a one marker and then one or two, 2 markers to get the brain into gear. Then I would launch into the five mark q's and then the four Mark q's and so on.

I did this so I had already got the big marks on the board first and then I was not under pressure whilst doing the 5 mark (10% of the exam questions).

It took me a few goes to get it, which is nothing unusual for most people when it comes to Flight Planning.

Ash767:ok:

OBNO
3rd Oct 2003, 17:58
Practice - Practice and yet more practice until you are sick of spinning your whizz wheel and looking up figures. Know the Performance manual back to front.

The procedure for answering the questions must be so well rehearsed you shouldn't be wasting time thinking about how to work it out - you just do it. There is not a lot of time available for faffing about, you need to work quickly and accuratley, which is why you need to do so much practice. Try not to get flustered if you see a question you are unsure of, come back to it later after you have warmed up on the ones you can do. This exam has "FA " to do with Flight Planning in this day and age but all to do with exam technique.

Good Luck - Stick with it.

Denalisilver
4th Oct 2003, 13:02
Otta, my advise to you is,
When you sit the flight planning exam, start at the beginning and finish at the end. You will be suprised at how relaxed you will be during the exam as it is a test on management and stress not really on skill. If you start at the beginning you will slowly work your way through the exam, the key is to not stress about the time. If you do, it will cost. You will find that you will complete the exam, if not then that is ok as your accuracy in the completed questions would have got you over the line.

Good luck.

Raingauge
4th Oct 2003, 14:52
I did the 4 and 5 mark Q's first, then the rest after. It was a bit weird having an hour go past during the exam and only having 3 questions done, but it worked for me. Got it first time.

Ash767
4th Oct 2003, 22:06
OBNO

I like your last sentence. Exam technique has a lot to do with it!!

Ash767:)

Prop's ????
5th Oct 2003, 19:35
Otta here,

I had five goes at this one getting 68% each time. Only on the last go I talked to Nathan at AFT. He sold me some exams and the rest was history.

I studied hard for one month. Between flying and home duties I passed with 96%.

Give it a go.

PS: The first four attempts I started with the big makers. On the last go I started from the top.

:ok: :ok: :ok: