PDA

View Full Version : crime in Grand Centeral

rich49
30th Sep 2003, 01:35
Hi all,
I am planning on doing my PPL at FTC in Grand Centeral next summer, but I am little concerned about the crime there? What is it like? Will I be safe? I can deal with pick pockets (London Undergrounds not much fun) but I have heard worse stories. What is it really like?
Thanks.
Richard

B Sousa
30th Sep 2003, 04:52
Actually Grand Central is now overgrown with Jungle. You will need a Machete just to get into the terminal.. Most all the Aircraft there are STOL as the runways have reverted to dirt and larger Potholes exist.
Satellite phone would be good to have, all the phone lines have been stolen and the dial up phones are not compatable with modern technology. Gangs of people are the concern, dont walk near crowds.

Wait.......Im sorry, I thought you were asking about Grand Central in New York......disregard all the above. Grand Central in South Africa is a pretty nice place.....in comparison

Actually the folks you do business with there will give you good advice. Your probably safer there than in London. Just keep your eyes open and listen to those there who give the advice.

30th Sep 2003, 12:09
he he he
funny one Bert:ok:

Sultan Ismail
30th Sep 2003, 14:43
A valid question, provided you keep an eye over your shoulder at all times you'll be ok, much like any city in the UK, and I'm not being facetious.

Where you stay is important, any of the residential areas to the West of Grand Central offer reasonably secure accommodation, don't go looking for accommodation on the Eastern side of the Airport, it is inhabited by the nations less privileged citizens.

Now you mention training with FTC, they have a serviced house for accommodation on ............. oh dear! :ooh:

If you would like some personal advice please PM. I live a few minutes from Grand Central, when I am not in KL.

Sultan Ismail

rich49
1st Oct 2003, 03:48
Thanks for your help, Sultan chek your PM's ;)
Sousa, ya had me laughing there for a while!!!

Vortex Thing
5th Oct 2003, 05:12
Sorry my mistake it's just that I thought you said you were from the UK and wanting to do a PPL with FTC. Have you gone quite mad because there appears to be a problem.

If you want to go to SA to do your PPL then I suggest that you type in FTC in the PPrune search engine and have a read of a few articles out there.

If you have already read the articles and still want to go thier then you shouldn't have a medical as you must be insane. WHy don't you just take you money put it on a horse or even better buy a gun and bet on yourself in Russian roulette as you would have more chance of finding aviation professionalism and living in those instances.

VT do your research mate you are gambling with your life.

VT

Go to South Africa its lovely but just don't go near FTC

silverknapper
8th Oct 2003, 01:20
Listen to VT mate. The only crime you'll have to worry about in midrand is delaing with them!!!! Do a search.

Skaz
8th Oct 2003, 16:02
tend to agree with these folks, recently had some dealings with an individual connected with FTC and a couple of people are not happy.
you would be much happier and better off from the outset going to 43 rather that FTC

Irv
8th Oct 2003, 16:48
Some 'hindsight' and advice on SA PPL Schools should be available onthe UK-SA Flyer Community (http://www.uksa.flyer.co.uk) website.

Propellor Head
30th Oct 2003, 14:27
Listen chaps,

Not everything you hear about SA is true, of course you have to be circumspect regarding safety - but no more so than you would in downtown Birmingham or Fulham etc..

Grand Central is a throughly modern airport with every amienty (except you can't do a JAA IR ratign there....at the mo.) It certainly beats wanging around the British skies from one grotty UK airfield to another and diving into the only greasy spoon cafe withyin say a ten mile radius from where you land and take-off (Compton Abbas excepted).

Even those of you who have a PPL or CPL you should experience 'hot & high' Jo'burg is already 5300' amsl and that's before you get going.

Rand versus Pound is great at the moment so everything - ESPECIALLY THE FLYING - is incredibky cheap to you Brits.

Stop knocking us - give us a try....you never know, you might actually like it.

GormanInkarnati
30th Oct 2003, 20:29
"Listen Chaps" and "Stop knocking us - give us a try....you never know, you might actually like it."

Mmmm... Propellor Head (hot??) sounds awfully British and like an FTC spokesperson to me:E

Sultan Ismail
30th Oct 2003, 20:45
GormanInkarnati

Suggest you get your head out of your arse and pop over to the "FTC Sold" thread, where you will learn something to your advantage...

Please read the post by Neilfraser

GormanInkarnati
31st Oct 2003, 16:10
Thanks Sultan , you are a true professional... You should be a doctor - I thought I was blind!

But serious though: I thought Pprune frowned upon free advertising???

GI