PDA

View Full Version : Self Study / TAFE / UNI ???

zendj
29th Sep 2003, 18:41
I am up to GFPT(along way to go!) in my flight training. I need to make the decision, continue to self study all the way up to ATPL? Or go to UNI or even TAFE and get an Aviation Degree / Diploma.

I know that the UNI Degree(aviation) would probably be most favorable, but what about the TAFE Diploma(aviation)?

Should I wait until I get the CPL(self study) then get a job in GA, then maybe get some exemptions in the diploma/degree.

Also, how do I go about getting a job with an airline in another country - i.e. Dubai?

I currently have a full time job in the IT industry and am studying at TAFE for an IT Diploma.

Any suggestions / opinions welcome!

ZenDJ

high talker
1st Oct 2003, 16:09
My thought on the issue, go get your commercial/ diploma then enjoy the flying. after 2 years of working in the industry then do the degree part time, a number of uni's offer it part and credit you for your experiance.

My best tip at the moment stay in IT somedays you wish you were doin something else. sorry about the negativity bad day:*

sako
2nd Oct 2003, 14:43
i studied at tafe about six years ago up to atpl and found it to be a really good course, in 1 year we went from scratch to cpl and irex as well as basic gas turbine. i think the uni course takes a lot longer but u do get a degree, however i dont think a degree gets u a job at this level so tafe may be a better option in giving you some qualifications quickly so that u can get a job. its also good to do a course like tafe so you can ask lots of ? and get some of the basic concepts squared away in your own mind, i think this helps latter on. although as high talker sujested IT is probably a good place to be, there are a lot of well qualified girls and guys out there who are finding it tough to get work especially here in the top end.
one other thing to consider a 25,000 dollar cpl is again only entry level stuff, to really put your self in the game you probably have to spend as much as 40 to 50 ie. cpl,twin endors.,ifr rating ,instructor rating.

tafe didnt teach me to spel very well, sorry

best of luck

spike007
8th Oct 2003, 14:28
Spike.

Go take a cold shower for the next seven days, whilst you learn to grow up! :*

Woomera

penetrator
9th Oct 2003, 11:25
:p Spikey now what does it really matter to you if this this person is in adel or darwin unless your a disgruntled skydive pilot who has now been put in the **** for doing the incorrect things. It would appear that you are a dim wit, ever heard of a charter or ferry or private flight. I would also imagine you saw or posted the bogus job the other day that wasted peoples time, for a personal attack on someone that you think maybe this person that you have a gripe with, so would you be taking sako up on the offer to meet over a beer & clear this up, so that this crap is not put on here. If you know this person as you allegedly seem to know so much about him/her why not ring or catch up with them personally & sort it out, so other users of these forums dont have to deal with your personal issues. THANKS FOR READING THIS JOEY. E :ok:

your facts may not be very factual.

eddy dumski
9th Oct 2003, 16:00
spike you are a sad sad looser, if sako has p!ssed you off so much why not take it up with him personally rather than stealing other peoples forums. or conversly just send him lots of strange text messages on his mobile. someone did that to me once, can get verry bizzar in the middle of the night.

Now back to zendj original post, i personally would stay doing the IT degree and do your comm theory by a self study corse or one of bob taits corses over the uni holidays. dont really think that a degree in aviation is that helpfull as is is not a pre requesite for an airline job and not many charter opperators seam to give a **** about them.

No. 15
12th Oct 2003, 14:25
I did a degree, also went to TAFE to do the ATPL subjects, and finally did the ATPLs through Nathan Higgins correspondance course. Bear in mind theses are just my experiences and may not be valid anymore - and not that I'm overly biassed either!!

1. The Degree.
Great if you accept that it won't get you a job but is just another notch in your belt. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it's not for everyone. The subjects studied go into far more detail that is required for your ATPL (especially met!!). Some guys who dropped out are flying for QF and CX, that I know of; as are those who graduated. I just wanted to learn more about my vocation. Person choice but in my opinion there are only positives (outside of the HUGE HECS debt).....Possibly 3 years full time study will put you 3 years behind others in experience don't forget. Big decision to make........ I have no regrets. One post mentioned to do it part time after getting your foot in the door. I reckon that is good advice. That way you get the best of both worlds.

2. The Diploma (at Sydney - S.I.T.)
Was granted first year credited due to uni degree and flying experience. The greatest waste of time in my avaition career. I opted for it as it was the cheapest way I could see as to doing my ATPLs. Lecturers didn't give a damn, were never on time, syllabus not kept to, many students only there to get their Centrelink cheques sent.....Don't go if you hope to learn and value professioanlism in the workplace. Again just my experience. Others who did it at a different time to me I know thought it very worthwhile.

3. Nathan Higgins
By corresspondance. The man is a legend - almost scarey how he takes a personal interest in helping you succeed. Call him any time and the help is there. You need A LOT of self discipline to lock yourself away for 8-9 hours a day for weeks on end when studying some subjects (flt planning and systems especially!).

My advice......There are many ways to skin a cat. I personally think you can study up to CPL part time. IREX and ATPLs are another kettle of fish. My degree gave me a great grounding and good study habits. Note that I did this some years ago now and am sure much has changed. Each to there own and best of luck with your choices.