PDA

View Full Version : Go Around records

slingsby
29th Sep 2003, 16:42
Just a query, do NATS and other ATC bodies have any or keep records of go-arounds and their reasons.

bagpuss lives
30th Sep 2003, 03:06
Put simply, yes :)

When an aircraft executes a missed approach or is commanded to "go around" the exact details are recorded on a proforma by the ATCO.

These are collated by the Safety or Ops departments (depending on the unit) and stats and reasons recorded. I'm sure too that these stats are passed along to HQ somewhere along the line for the number crunchers and safety bods to go over.

I'm sure the airport authorities also get an account (in our case at EGCC via a weekly report detailing go arounds, incidents, that sort of thing)

Hope this helps :)

vector4fun
30th Sep 2003, 22:18
slingsby,

In the U.S. it depends. If it was an air carrier go around, then we would probably report that to the regional com center, just as a courtesy in case they get a phone call from a Journo seeking a headline. Don't know what they do with the records.

If it was an actual safety problem such as an incursion, then a QAR (Quality Assurance Review) would be filed, probably more paperwork later.

If it was simply a marginal sequence, or somebody slow to clear or roll, and didn't involve an air carrier go-round, then probably not.....

Spitoon
1st Oct 2003, 00:40
In the UK the answer is that yes, go-arounds that were not planned will normally be recorded in some way if there is an ATC unit there. niteflite describes what happens at NATS run units but not all airport ATC units are operated by NATS.

Unfortunately the information can be misconstrued or misinterpreted and can have safety or commercial connotations so you'll usually find that the airports are reluctant to share it.

GT3
1st Oct 2003, 01:57
Go Around records

Im sure i hold one or two

FWA NATCA
1st Oct 2003, 02:06
Slingsby,

In the US it depends on the facility, at mine we don't keep a record unless there is a specific reason.

Mike
NATCA FWA

slingsby
1st Oct 2003, 02:24
Thanks guys, just curious as to whether records are kept. We were discussing it during line training some newbies the other day

Max Angle
3rd Oct 2003, 01:23
Most airlines also require the crew to complete a report for every go-around regardless of cause and reason. This is filed with company safety officer and a record is kept on a database.

separator
5th Oct 2003, 11:38
I once managed to send around the same DC-10 twice within 7 minutes, once my stuffup, once his. What put it in into possible record contention was the fact that both times the crew did not comply with the instruction and tried to cleanup the same poor innocent lightie.

When it was all over, both the lightie pilot and I required a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down.

sep