PDA

View Full Version : EMA Name Change

egnxema
29th Sep 2003, 16:25
What is your opinion?

bmibaby rocked the boata little by advertising EMA as Nottingham in overseas press ads.

IATA list the city as Nottingham. The OAG list all EMA flights under Nottingahm in their Travel Agent's "Bibles".

Should the airport just go for it?

Nottingham East Midlands Airport
Nottingham International Airport

Any thoughts?

egnx

almost professional
29th Sep 2003, 16:27
should be Nottingham International-but dont hold your breath for change any time soon!

JB007
29th Sep 2003, 16:57
Isn't EMA in Derbyshire ?!!??:hmm:
Castle Donington International sounds better...or better still, i'd name it after the Nags Heads on Dono's high street...a marvellous pint of Pedigree!!!!

egnxema
29th Sep 2003, 17:03
East Midlands is in Leicestershire. It has a Derby address & phone number. But the nearest internationally known city is definately Nottingham. And the airport is only 14 miles from Nottingham City Centre, so it would hardly be a Ryanairesque airport name.

Have to agree about the Nag's head though, the airports best local!!

egnx

FlyboyUK
29th Sep 2003, 19:32
Suprised no-one has suggested London East Midlands Airport yet!:}

Seriously though, they tried this quite a few years ago when I lived in Leicester (well someone has to live there!). The local newspaper got involved and stirred up a load of local rivalry such that the idea got dropped.

As egnxema pointed out the airport is stuck in the middle of the three cities, each of which could claim name to the airport, so not an easy one to sort out.

P.Pilcher
29th Sep 2003, 19:55
Well - I suppose that by some stretch of the imagination it could be considered to be Manchester's second airport!

MAN777
29th Sep 2003, 21:14
Why not Manchester East Midlands, it is owned by the tax payers of Manchester !!

Pirate
29th Sep 2003, 23:43
How about Heart of England Airport?

Golf Charlie Charlie
30th Sep 2003, 00:14
Whatever it may become, please don't let it become (as with the fashion of the times in re-naming airports after people these days) Robin Hood International.....

LGS6753
30th Sep 2003, 02:30
It's between the three main cities of the East Midlands.
So why not call it 'East Midlands Airport'?:D

Avman
30th Sep 2003, 02:49
I would have thought BIRMINGHAM EAST would have been the logical choice. Certainly would make more sense than Manchester and/or London.

chiglet
30th Sep 2003, 05:38
The "Main" user [BMA] used to be known ad Derby Aviation [aka Derby Flying club] so why not "Derby[shire (for our transat fiends) International
we aim to please, it keeps the deaners happy

U/S President
30th Sep 2003, 06:00
If you go to bmibaby.com (http://www.bmibaby.com) and choose a foreign airport in the ‘From’ dropdown menu, you’ll see that in the ‘To’ dropdown you get a choice of:
East Midlands
Nottingham (East Midlands)
Derby (East Midlands)
Leicester (East Midlands)

I guess they’re trying to cover all preferences. BTW, ‘Central England Airport’ would be my choice.

TimS
30th Sep 2003, 17:21
I seem to remember an expensive investigation of a name change some 20 odd years ago which came up with a shortlist of two .... 'Nottingham International' and 'M1'

And then nothing happened

FEBA
30th Sep 2003, 22:16
possible names
1) Kegworth International
2) Junction 21A Intl
3) Diseworth Airport
4) Long Whatton Airport (specially for the lady from 42 High St who complains about the noise)
5) Sherwood Intl Airport
6) 3 Castles Intl

FEBA

frb98mf
30th Sep 2003, 22:17
There's already a vast and hugely under-used airport just the other side of Nottingham called oh yes Nottingham Airport.

Besides which you can't call it "London" anything because there's a special and secretive clause in all airport-building or expansion for London that at least 2 of the following considerations must be ignored: historic buildings, thousands of homes, protected wetlands, SSSI's, legally-binding moratoria, local councils, airlines, airport operators, economic sense.

Unfortunately EMA is a sensibly-sized, located and operated airport, and cannot therefore be given the "London" brand-name.

egnxema
1st Oct 2003, 18:42
The current airfiled named Nottingham Airport can hardly be considered "huge and underused", even the best of us would have difficulty dropping BY's 767's on their grasss strips!

TimS
2nd Oct 2003, 04:38
Nottingham/Tollerton has (had - in my dim and distant memory - having done much of my PPL days (sh*t - 25 years ago) there) a typical war time 3 runway A configuration (although perhaps one has been disused for a long time) - not enuff for 'real airplanes' but definitely not grass

unwiseowl
2nd Oct 2003, 05:08
FireflyBob should have an opinion......................?

symphonyangel
2nd Oct 2003, 06:12
MAN777 - If you are right and its owned by the Councillors of Manchester, then it could follow the example of Anchorage Ted Stevens Airport who was a Councillor too - there must be a Manchester Councillor worthy of such a distinction,afterall they won the Commonwealth Games

FEBA
2nd Oct 2003, 16:54
Nottingham Airport ! ; you mean Tollerton International of course.
It has an assortment of concrete runways that are about the length of my index finger. OK for kite flying but nothing else.
Why doesn't anyone develop the airfield at Hucknall. It has a huge east west runway, right by the M1 and almost in the pocket of the city of Nottingham.
FEBA

FlyboyUK
2nd Oct 2003, 18:47
Yes but Hucknall just happens to have a large engine test-bed built slap bang in the middle of the old runway (At least I presume it's still there!)

Navy_Adversary
2nd Oct 2003, 21:33
On Radio Leicester this morning a listener suggested EMA should be re-named The Bill Maynard Airport:D

As SLF why change the name? We all know where EGNX is; and, I am sure any of our European friends thinking of visiting England surely have some idea of the airports location given it's name.:8

I feel that the people of Leicester and Derby will feel aggrieved if the airport does become Nottingham because they already have one airport, plus the drive along the A453 to Notts is a nightmare, whatever would our new found friends from Europe think of that!:O

ps. Whilst driving to Lincoln on the A46, I have not yet spotted any aircraft on finals to Newark International Airport (EWR);)

egnxema
2nd Oct 2003, 21:45
According to bmibaby's research the whole problem is that our fellow europeans DO have great difficulty in knowing where EMA is. As they can't find a dot on the map.

Interestingly - today the airport has announced that they are conducting an extensive survey with regard to a name change, so must be quite a serious proposal.

www.eastmidlandsairport.com/news

With regard to Derby and Leicester residents - surely they would rather have a nearby airport called Nottingham that results in more flight connections and a boost to inbound tourism, rather than an airport with a vaque name that european LoCo's don't touch because they have difficulty marketing it.

I wonder if the residents of Dudley, Solihull and Wolverhampton feel agrieved that BHX is named Birmingham and not....well West Midlands Intl.

egnx

newswatcher
2nd Oct 2003, 21:55
the airport is stuck in the middle of the three cities OK then, Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI)! :p

WHBM
2nd Oct 2003, 22:09
Orange County, California doesn't seem to have any difficulty with it's name. That's not a "dot on the map" either.

Plenty of other examples.

Sir George Cayley
2nd Oct 2003, 23:20
Florida Southwest Int'l nr Fort Myers

Sir George Cayley

plantzzman
3rd Oct 2003, 09:12
Which ever name is chosen if it contains just one cities name you can bet there will be touble and local people may vote with there feet.
I would hate Nottingham international or somwthing like that.Why should an airport be named after a city who's most famous thing is a mythical man who robbed the rich bla bla bla-you know Robin Hood.
What with Nottinghams current levels of gun crime its like the wild west over there-who on earth from Europe would want to go there with recent gun related murders?
The AA state Derby is infact the closest city to EMA so who decided it should be Nottingham and who for that matter at IATA etc decided EMA should be reffered to as Nottingham when it isnt the closest.
Myself I like the name "three cities international" or "EMA three cities"
Either one indicates the local three cities without focusing on any one of them.
Or to be controversial how about "DERBY ROLLS ROYCE INTERNATIONAL" Rolls Royce has been linked to Derby and the aviation industry for decades.As many of the worlds airlines operate fleets powered by Royces engines this could be a fitting tribute to a major player in the aviation industry.
Or maybe they could just name the airport after which ever city gets the most low level overflights day and night.

egnxema
3rd Oct 2003, 15:31
Plantzzman,

No doubt you also support Derby County, and during your school holidays you like to go to the aeropark to spot the big planes!

:ok:

As touching as your loyalty to your home city is, and as caustic as your tongue is regarding other local cities I'm sure you do understand that airlines fly for one reason...to MAKE MONEY!

They couldn't give a :mad: about the historicity of My Hood. But one thing is sure that on a European or International level Robin Hood is a known story, people have heard of Nottingham because of the story ( and films) and knowledge helps marketing.

Robin Hood = Knowledge of Nottingham = A good name for the Airport = more passengers = MORE MONEY = more routes planned = more aircraft = more for you to spot on a Saturday afternoon.

plantzzman
3rd Oct 2003, 19:33
EGNXEMA support Derby County come on you may not agree with my post but do you think iam stupid enough to support a team who often play like they have their legs tied together.Footy has never been an interest to me-never really floated my boat.
As my school days are just a distant dream (or should that be nightmare) cannot really comment on the aeropark other than EMA and the people who support the park should be commended for what they offer maintaining some pretty important aircraft.
As for the big planes yep there the only ones which even give me a glimmer of interest-has to be a 747 or AN124 to even make me think about taking a look.Couldnt stand and make notes on yet another BMIBaby 737.YYAAWWNNN
Didnt realise I had a caustic tongue-must have been licking the soda again.All I pointed out was Nottingham relied on a mythical character which neither Derby or Leciester do and also suffers badly with gun crime which tourists just wouldnt like.To be honnest if I was a tourist I couldnt see any reason to go to Derby (Derbyshire-yes) cannot comment on Leicester.
For me it can stay East Midlands Airport.If Europeans are that ignorant of the British Isles that they cannot work out where the East of the middle is do we really want them and do they really want to come here.
I fully support the airport in its growth from a community point of view as its good for local jobs etc.
More than anything I feel its a pointless thing the airport are doing when they should be focusing on improving the facilities which recent threads have indicated are far from good.
One last thing name wise-from what people tell me and so this is very second hand the councils of Derbyshire put a greater amount into the airport than Notts and Lecis each did when it was first built-that is why many people in Derbyshire feel strongly about its eventual name.
This is something which will rumble on.
May I assure you of my best intentions at all times.

almost professional
3rd Oct 2003, 19:52
plantzzman
I have to agree with egnxema that the name Nottingham does mean more to the average inbound european than anything else-I have first hand experience of times when that lack of 'visibility' has led directly to passengers going to birmingham or manchester when we were more convenient
the airport does need to grow the inbound passenger market and maybe a name change can help-as for derby putting more money in!-all that council were interested in was taking the maximum amount out of the airport, they had no interest in developing the facilities, it was not until privitisation that the airport really took off

Navy_Adversary
4th Oct 2003, 01:00
Has anyone asked ATC up that big tower what they think? I can just imagine the scenario,
"Eastflight 31 pass your flight details"
"Eastflight 31, Jetstream out of Aberdeen inbound Nottingham"
"Eastflight 31 , is that Nottingham Tollerton or Nottingham International?"
Could be fun with those Eastern European ad hoc freight charters, I can just imagine one of those An124s on short finals for Tollerton:D Well you did say Nottingham.........:eek:

answer=42
4th Oct 2003, 02:47
name it after a famous son of the region:
D.H. Lawrence International Airport

hmm. Or why not an acronym combining all three cities:

NoDeLe International Airport

answer=42

plantzzman
4th Oct 2003, 03:10
Answer 42 where was D H Lawrence from?shows what I know about the East Mids :confused:
Navy Adversary an AN124 into Tollerton eh-that would mess a few pants and dependant on who is piloting the aircraft could happen I guess.:eek:
As I said Almost Prof I dont know anything about what happened in the olden days with the councils-thats why I indicated so much in my post.
Still think they need to improve facilities alot before pushing the airport further-it would be better not to get a bad name for the service they offer if flights increased without the services.
Iam still interested as to why IATA chose Nottingham as there official airport name when many in aviation would note Derbys links to Rolls Royce with operating aircraft with their engines and so maybe have a good view of where Derby already was.
At the end of the day still think East Midlands is perfectly ok.

FlyboyUK
4th Oct 2003, 15:13
And what are they going to call the proposed airport near Rugby if they ever build it? West Midlands Airport??:}

fireflybob
4th Oct 2003, 15:52
I would go for Nottingham (after all they used to call it "Queen" of the Midlands and if you go up town on a Saturday night this isn't far short of the truth!!).

Rename EGBN Tollerton - that's what it always was - I know this might offend some people but the idea of calling it an "airport" well - nuff sed on that one. By the way, en passant, it is a great GA airfield and it does have two good tarmac/concrete runways plus a very nice cafe (end of plug).

crab
4th Oct 2003, 15:55
How about NottsDerby airport.Similar name style seems to work for LBA-every body knows where it is.I realise that it may disappoint some people in Leicester but anything longer would be cumbersome and Derby and Nottingham are the nearest cities.

still fishing.

Navy_Adversary
4th Oct 2003, 19:24
Whilst driving along this morning an idea came into my head. Whichever City or County council puts their money where their mouth is, and puts a financial package together which would fund a 21st century passenger terminal, complete with walkways, they could have the airport named after them.
This has already happened to a lesser extent in sport with the Walkers Stadium, AMP Oval etc.
I realise that because the airport is privately owned there would be difficulties with this, but if all else fails the owners can always call it Manchester South.:hmm:

6000PIC
4th Oct 2003, 21:19
..how about Central England Airport ?

EMACargo
4th Oct 2003, 22:42
MAN777, i am sorry and if this gets me banned then so be it because of how strongly i feel about it.
BOLLOCKS YOU ARE FULL OF ****. MAN plc may own the airport but how many of the ****s from Manchester come and fly from EMA????? i bet not many at all if any. EMA has got a Derbyshire address, post code and telephone number and is situated in Leicester so whats the connection to Notts. There isnt one apart from Notts council, along with Derbyshire and Leicestershire councils help with funding for the airport, so that means us local tax payers help with the funding to.

Either leave the airport as it is 'East Midlands Airport' or call it 'DLN International'

Get your facts sorted first before blowing sunshine out your own arse.

almost professional
5th Oct 2003, 01:26
emacargo
the point is the airport needs an identity overseas and lets face it nobody outside of the derby ringroad has any idea where that town is and East Midlands means nothing AT ALL , when I am talking to people on holiday I always use nottingham as a reference and I live nearer to leicester than the other two cities

chiglet
5th Oct 2003, 01:50
Possibly the "old name" "Castle Donnington" :rolleyes:
It just happens that there is a "World Famous" racetrack not a million miles away.....or am I being too clever?:confused:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

hanger35
5th Oct 2003, 02:18
Never mind the name of the airport, how about a more fitting memorial to poor souls who were killed there in the Kegworth M1 disaster. The only memorial there is, is a small plate (approx 10' x5') on the motorway bridge going into Kegworth with no names on or maybe it never happened!

almost professional
5th Oct 2003, 03:35
is there a memorial at manchester for those on the Beatours B737?

plantzzman
5th Oct 2003, 03:35
I tend to agree with Chiglet as regards a name if it isnt East Midlands-well maybe knock the castle bit off to give you Donnigton International (unless there already is one) -many millions know the race track.
I still think a name change is abit short sighted.
Who books a flight to an airport and then builds a holiday around it (unless its costing £9.99 and 5 sweet wrappers). Generaly people think oh I would love to go to (insert area of world here) and then organise the airport or book a package.
As an example I went to Venezuela :cool: a few years ago.While there I flew to Canaima Airport but as I got off the aircraft I didnt then say right now iam here is there anything to see -OH LOOK there's the highest waterfall in the world-well what a coincidence. I wanted to see the waterfall and it was like-well where is the nearest airport?
Likewise with business passengers if they are coming into the UK to meet a company the likelyhood is they will ask the company in advance details about travel and hotels etc and not give a hoot about what the airports called as long as its close to where they are going.
Almost prof- as for Derby ring road would that be the inner or the outer?Dont ask me cus I dont know myself. :confused:
You know in all truth I would have expected masses of tourists by now wanting to see Derby Bus station as there is such a hoo haa about knocking it down because its such a fine example.Sadly once people remove their rose tinted specks they realise its just a manky cold place that smells of wee :yuk:
Hangar35 good point-never been close to the accident site other than on the M1 if its as you say its very sad and should be put right.

EMACargo
6th Oct 2003, 03:08
I agree call it either East Midlands Airport or Donnington International. Nothing to do with Nottingham.Whats famous from Nottingham other than Robin Hood and the castle???? Not much. The worlds oldest Football club is another but then what.
Derby has the 6th oldest football club in the world. Rolls Royce and as nottingham and Leicester, shopping centres and hotels.

egnxema
6th Oct 2003, 23:33
Hangar35

RE Kegworth Memorial.

If I remember rightly, after the sign was erected on the M1 motorway bridge near where the British Midland 737 crashed there was also a Memorial Garden set out in the village of Kegworth including a permanent memorial/monument/stone. The M1 has been widened and altered arround the crash site and I think the original bridge re-sited, did the plague get replaced?

egnxema

newswatcher
7th Oct 2003, 16:27
egnexma, here is a picture:
http://www.kegworthvillage.com/images/airmemrl.jpg
See also - memorial site (http://www.kegworthvillage.com/history/air_disaster.php)

hanger35
8th Oct 2003, 05:35
egnxema, newswatcher,

I stand corrected my apoligies but where is this memorial?is it far from the crash site?. I know there was a crash in stockport in 1967 but it took 35 years to create a memorial and recently heard that somebody wanted to build flats on it !

Almost Proffesional

No there is no memorial to the KT/BA B737 perhaps there should be one

newswatcher
8th Oct 2003, 15:45
hanger35,

If you open the "memorial site" link, you will see a title bar across the top. Select "map", and you will get a map of Kegworth. Towards the bottom, and you will have to scroll down a couple of times using the buttons at the top left, you will see the cemetery arrowed, just off Whatton Road. It's less than a mile from the crash site and almost directly under the flight path.

egnxema
14th Oct 2003, 17:40
Well the airport has announce that it is asking the public for reaction over the name change.

Has the airport been tuned into our forum?

Remember...you read it here first!

All will be revealed before Summer 2004! :p

bmibaby.com
14th Oct 2003, 23:55
I live in Leicestershire and so would not be overly thrilled if the airport changed its name to just Nottingham (although if I was EMA the amount the people of Leics complain I wouldnt be surprised if they didnt want to mention Leics at all!)

However, as someone with many contacts in Spain, I can fully appreciate the fact that very few people actually know what "east Midlands" is, as this is a phrase only used in the United Kingdom, elsewhere this phrase is little known.

But, if you do mention the name "Nottingham" people know what you mean. It is a place many Spanish people visit (the first thing I always say is "why!?") because of Robin Hood, the Forest, the team, the forest, the castle and apparently "its amazing shopping centres"

So ... from a tourist perspective it might be a good idea to include Nottingham in the name.

Maybe a Leeds/Bradford type thing: Nottingham/East Midlands, Nottingham/Derby/Leicester, East Midlands serving Nottingham ...