PDA

View Full Version : low altitude Lions

Lord Beaverbrook
29th Sep 2003, 07:18
Can anyone confirm the story on the Channel 9 Footy Show yesterday that the flight carrying the Brisbane Lions to Melbourne for the Grand Final was cleared to fly at a lower than normal altitude. Allegedly this was to minimise travel fatigue for the players.

The_Cutest_of_Borg
29th Sep 2003, 07:27
Twenty two super-fit guys get fatigued by 1.5 hours in an aeroplane?

Well if the footy show said it, it must be true!!!

Keg
29th Sep 2003, 14:40
Nigel Lappin has a punctured lung and so this creates hassles when travelling in an aircraft so maybe a request was put in to keep the cabin at 0 feet for the trip home. This would have required a lower altitude. Whether that happened or not I have absolutely no idea.

I'm with the Domestic Zen Master on this one. I can't see a couple of hours at 8000' stuffing around with AFL footy players.

the wizard of auz
29th Sep 2003, 15:03
of course it would, they're a bunch of fairys.
should be made to go and get a real job.

Lord Beaverbrook
29th Sep 2003, 15:04
From The Age this morning - "The club chartered a plane from Brisbane to fly the team and their families at only 18,000 feet above sea level, more than 10,000 feet lower than most commercial flights, to reduce cockpit pressure and the stress on the players."

puff
29th Sep 2003, 15:05
Probably was more to cope with the level of alcohol consumption!

bush mechanics
29th Sep 2003, 18:30
Hey OZZ,sounds like you are a collingwood suporter?
Next year you might get another chance at the FAIRYS!!!!!
Go The Lions!!!!!

Islander Jock
29th Sep 2003, 18:49
"The club chartered a plane from Brisbane to fly the team and their families at only 18,000 feet above sea level, more than 10,000 feet lower than most commercial flights, to reduce cockpit pressure and the stress on the players."
I thought flying at a lower altitude would increase the cabin pressure.:confused: :confused: :confused: Maybe my Trevor Thom books had it all wrong. :p
Looks like good old dumb ar$e ignorance by the journos - again!:rolleyes:

Farcome
29th Sep 2003, 19:07
keg

They flew low level bn to ml before lappin got the dicky lung!

Apparently there is some 'unfounded' evidence that flying at altitude messes with the physiological makeup of the human body that is used to being at sea level.

Well it worked for them.

:D

Dogimed
29th Sep 2003, 19:44
up there kazali (but not too high)

Ahh, I kill me...

That mark was so high a low flying lion coulda caught it...

damn.. hot tonight..

Spend squillions on a pressure chamber then fly low....

man I wish I was rich enough to be that stupid....

Dog

(maybe you dont need to be rich)