PDA

View Full Version : Speed of Light - c

Icarus
16th Aug 2001, 11:21
A couple of weeks ago there was a thread regarding the speed of light/relativity/special relativity etc. that was becoming quite a promising & interest conversation/debate.
It was most unfortunately closed off by a moderator as it was deemed to be nothing to do with aviation. I for one was quite disappointed as I had missed a few days and could no longer respond to some of the things said in response to one or two of my posts.
However, the jist (gist?) was that most people agrued the 'c' was a constant; which I agreed to under certain environmental conditions.

This is to be published in a scientific paper later this month:

New observations from the world's biggest telescope indicate that one of nature's supposedly immutable constants has changed over the 15 billion-year history of the universe.
Physicists were shocked at the discovery, but pleasantly so because it suggests that new theories about how the universe works on the subatomic scale may be correct.
The team found that the fine structure constant - a number that determines the strength of electromagnetic force and thus the speed of light - may have been ever so slightly smaller billions of years ago. If true, then current theories are incorrect because they maintain that light's speed and other fundamental properties do not change in either space or time.

The debate surely must be allowed to continue!

Prof2MDA
16th Aug 2001, 19:08
Just want to point out that if this type of discussion is desired but the moderators don't want them here, Avsig on Compuserve does have a place for them and several physicists who love to get involved in such discussions. Issues such as the relativistic roots of gravity, magnetism and even the reason matter appears to be "solid" (all related to relativity) have been the subject of some great threads there. I believe if you go to www.avsig.com (http://www.avsig.com) and join for a nominal fee your cravings will be satisfied.

PPRuNe Dispatcher
16th Aug 2001, 19:11
Icarus, this site is for discussions about commercial aviation, not cosmology. :rolleyes: