PDA

View Full Version : Starting A New Airline

dfearns
29th Sep 2003, 05:14
I am seriously considering starting a new airline, but have absolutly no idea where to start! The airline is going to aim for the Frills and No Frills markets, and we are going to start operating with the A318 aircraft, then as we expand move onto the 19/20/21

I was looking for general advice of where to start ect ect

thanks in advance

jetstream7
29th Sep 2003, 05:56
dfearns... I don't wish to sound rude or negative, but do you really think you've any chance ?.....

Mad-Air
29th Sep 2003, 06:24
.....You could always start a Spares service first........
Start by going down to your local airport (Liverpool John Lennon), put The Orange Companys a/c on jacks and start nicking the wheels.........
SORRY HAD TO SAY IT!!:ok:

Frankfurt_Cowboy
29th Sep 2003, 06:31
Welll, "No idea where to start" you say. Have you thought of working for "Now"?

VIKING9
29th Sep 2003, 15:54
Frankfurt_Cowboy obviously on the same par as jmc-man :p As for starting an airline, why is this guy asking the question on Pprune ?? I would have thought maybe first find a business partner and then build a plan would be a sensible place to start :mad:

Cyrano
29th Sep 2003, 16:31
Dfearns:

Suggest you go and read Simon Calder's book "No Frills". There's a chapter in it along the lines of "So you want to start an airline?" which sketches out some of the basics (aircraft selection, route selection, financing, etc.). Very basic, but I think that's where you're at, or - no offence - you wouldn't be posting the question here.

C

LGW Vulture
29th Sep 2003, 16:56
You can start if you have US$5 million in cleared funds then it might be worth taking it further. If you haven't, forget it!

G-AZUK
29th Sep 2003, 21:33
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=999582#post999582

LGW Vulture
29th Sep 2003, 21:46
dfearns....

Go straight to the back of the class and put your hands on your head. Tomorrow morning I want to see 500 lines of the following sentence:

I must not waste other Ppruners time by spending my bunking off days dreaming of what I might be when I get older.

:* :* :*

JB007
29th Sep 2003, 23:00
I laughed out loud when I read the first line of dfearns other posting.....this is a classic!!

Well, he/she had some of you.....

jetstream7
29th Sep 2003, 23:06
Well... I did make 'that' point about dfearns in my posting above, but it was edited out

( Hawk...you're the mod.. I accept that you will do as you see correct, so no criticism of you there..!)

:ok:

dfearns
30th Sep 2003, 00:04
yes, ok had some of you there....but there was a reason behind the post.

I found it quite interesting to see what an absolute bunch of t*****s there really is on PPRUNE

So, someone had the idea to start a new airline, and you all completly mocked me, untill you found out i was actually 15.

Well, you know what, i seriously hope none of you have anything like this done to you, because...yes, to own my own airline is somethin i want to do when i become older, but to be completly mocked and rideculed is juat an absolute disgrace!

if you had somebody who had never been on the website, and this was the first bunch of ppl they saw, imagine what they would think!

well, lets just say...as sum1 sed on the topic, you all have 2 go one above each other and PPRUNE is nothing more to you than an ego-boost!

well, i hope the lot of u are proud as you have completly shattered my dream!

THANKS ALOT

LGW Vulture
30th Sep 2003, 00:40
Not for the faint hearted I'm afraid.

By the way, shouldn't you be thinking about the opposite sex or your spots?

Danny_R
30th Sep 2003, 01:08
ouch.... usually do come in a pair though do they not.. with the interest in the opposite sex, comes the interest in loosing spots... but when I saw 15.. i believe aviation still played an important part...

DB6
30th Sep 2003, 02:14
I don't normally post on threads such as this but......HAW HAW HAW HAW ...ah say HAW HAW HAW HAW! :rolleyes:
Life's hard, then you die :E .

bmibaby.com
30th Sep 2003, 03:47
I think a good idea now is to go for the low cost/regional market.

There are loads of markets where fares are still really high because only regional operators are flying on those routes, because there is not a big enough market for multiple 737 or 320 frequencies.

I think taking a smaller plane like a CRJ family, but using the basic principles of a low cost operation would work.

LGW Vulture
30th Sep 2003, 04:16
Dear, dear me....Thank you and Goodnight!

Frankfurt_Cowboy
30th Sep 2003, 17:27
If only "Jim'll fix it" was still going!!

P.Pilcher
30th Sep 2003, 17:54
So - can we be a bit constructive: dfearns has now had his confidence knocked a bit as he used the internet to bounce another career idea off the people who (should) know more about it than any other - the workers!

Like many others here I have seen many stupid, illogical management decisions waste millions of pounds in investors money and many jobs ( including mine). On the other hand I know of at least one young man not too much older than dfearns who has played a very large part in starting a British airline in the not too distant past which is still trading most successfully.

A little knock like this is not going to discourage a true entrepreneur who has started his possible potential airline management career by talking and listening to the workers, so he has already learned a lesson unknown to most airline managements!

Good luck to you dfearns - I for one wish you success in what ever career you eventually decide to persue.

P.P.

dfearns
1st Oct 2003, 00:49
P.Pilcher

thanks very much for you backup, good to see at least one person has some sense...

U/S President concerning your post...u were nearly their with the number of days, u just need to add another year onto the number...as it clearly says in the post:

posted 27th October 2002

and as far as i was aware, we are in 2003, you were nearly there with your smart a**e comment tho!

ne1 else wanna have a laugh on my behalf?

GustyOrange
1st Oct 2003, 04:07
Reading your posts dfearns I was thinking of running a book on you passing A Level English.

Right now we are looking at 150-1.

Gusty

:D :) :D

U/S President
1st Oct 2003, 04:17
dfearns: I am seriously considering starting a new airline
We might have taken you intention to start this fabulous new no-frills/full-frills airline more serious if you hadn’t also used PPRuNe to announce you wanted to be an ATC operator controller here (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70937); to ask how many passengers you could carry with your PPL here (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102788); and to ask for help with you GCSE homework here (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104053).
dfearns: So, someone had the idea to start a new airline, and you all completly mocked me, untill you found out i was actually 15
Yes we mocked you for being so clueless. But, in fairness, once we realised you were 15, the mocking didn’t stop. :p
dfearns: you have completly shattered my dream
Chin up: you’ve still got your GCSEs to look forward to. :{

dfearns
1st Oct 2003, 04:41
well GustyOrange...firstly i will just let you know i am predicted to pass all 11 of my G.C.S.E's, 5 of which are predicted to be A*'s, and rest A's.

and on the business front...if any of you have ever heard of the 'young enterprise' program, i have done that and sat and passed the exam with 97%, and also won the award for the most promising entrepeneur. (the young enterprise is where you open up a business for a year and run it, and the aim is to make money and survive). just to let you know the exam is worth 2 GCSE's, so if all goes well...i should come out with 13 G.C.S.E's and 4 A-Levels, as well as a B-TEC qualification....

now GustyOrange just tell me how many GCSE's you got?

ah well...it was worth asking ppl who were supposidly in the know...but then again, thats why you are working for somebody and have a boss...not got the get up and go to start up yourselves. as they say 'u dont get rich by workin 4 sum1'

GustyOrange
1st Oct 2003, 16:03
fearns,

it was worth asking ppl who were supposidly in the know

I'm predicting an English failure, at the very least.

I hope last nights homework wasn't too difficult.

Gusty

:D :D :D