PDA

View Full Version : atpl(a)

dac
29th Sep 2003, 01:01
About to apply for my ATPL(A) long after I did the IRT etc. All appears in date except my CR which expired over a year ago. Presently in a ground post. Any ideas on what extra work this will entail? The paperwork etc almost makes you consider staying in!!

Ta

BEagle
29th Sep 2003, 15:27
“About to apply for my ATPL(A) long after I did the IRT etc.”

Hopefully not too long – the IR(A) is valid for 12 months from passing the test and the theory exam(s) for 36 months..

“All appears in date except my CR which expired over a year ago.”

No way to sweeten the pill, if you cannot produce logbook evidence of having been CR in the 12 months before licence application, then you do not qualify for a ME Type Rating credit and will not qualify for a JAR-FCL ATPL(A). However, you may be able to qualify for a JAR-FCL CPL(A)/IR as follows:

“Presently in a ground post. Any ideas on what extra work this will entail?”

1. Are in current flying practice on anything? You need 12 hours experience in the 12 months preceding licence application – on either civil or military aeroplanes – including 6 hrs as P1C and a dual flight with either a military QFI or a civil FI(A). You don’t need to hold a PPL to log the P1C time in civil aeroplanes so long as you do it under the supervision of a FI; you won’t be permitted to carry passengers on such flights though.

2. Assuming that you are in current flying practice and don’t have any other civil licence, you will then have to pass a Class Rating Licensing Skill Test (LST) on a Single Pilot Aeroplane (SPA). Not as daunting as it might sound and can be flown with a PPL Examiner, rather than a CAA Examiner.

3. Now for the bad news. You will have to pass a JAA Single Pilot IR on the same Class of SPA as you passed your LST. That you will have to do at a civil Flying Training Organisation (FTO) with a CAA Examiner.

4. Having passed your civil IR, you can now apply for your CPL(A)/IR with frozen ATPL knowledge.

5. Once you have the CPL(A)/IR, to upgrade to ATPL(A), you will need:

5.1 To have completed (or, more likely, have achieved exemption from) ‘Multi-Crew co-operation Course’

5.2 A multi-pilot Type Rating and multi-pilot IR.

5.3 500 hours multi-pilot time (which you’ve probably already got in any case)

“The paperwork etc almost makes you consider staying in!!”

YGBSM!!

If you want to chat about this, PM me and give me an e-mail address. If you’re not too far from the Covert Oxonian Aerodrome, come over to the Flying Club and we can go through all this.

Wrong Sisters
30th Sep 2003, 23:21
dac - BEagle has it spot on and that was the route I took 2 years ago. Did my ground stuff with Bristol Groundschool and the flying with Bristol Flying School. Both come highly recommended and send me a PM if you want further info.