View Full Version : Concorde at Lyneham 30/4/74

LynehamVillage
28th Sep 2003, 23:31
RAF Lyneham has been announced to close by 2012 and in search for history of Concorde too. We understand that Concorde made some testing flights to RAF Lyneham on the 30th April 1974.
Does any one have any info on whether Concorde overshot/landed/diverted to Lyneham at at time.
Any info would be grateful.
We have a happy snap of Concorde in circuit around that time, but any other facts would be great, especially that the queen of the skies will soon stop public flights.

adrian mole
29th Sep 2003, 01:16
LV

I was a very young Sgt on MAMS at that time having just moved across from Abingdon. I remember the period as I had to do my month's stint as Sgts Mess Barman 30 Apr - 30 May but don't recollect Concorde landing. It may have been a 'touch and go' as I also know that you need the 'hi-rise' steps to gain access and at that time all we had were mediums for access to VC10/707s.

Also had the privelege of an 8 hour ride in G-BOAC in August the following year when it came out to Singapore on hot weather trials. Paya Lebur-Kuala Lumpur-Bahrain-Bombay-Paya Lebar in a day with lunch in the Gulf, what a trip.

The Concorde still hadn't gone commercial in 1974 so it may be worth speaking to the Bae people at Filton or even starting with the Bristol Aviation museum at Kemble as some of the Filton 'Old Boys' still frequent the place. Good Luck.

ICT_SLB
29th Sep 2003, 11:14
Lyneham,
Adrian's right - at that time all British Concordes (002 & 01, the only UK ones built by then) would have been flying out of RAF Fairford. Around that time I remember our bit of BAC, Hurn, being treated to a fly-by of 01 in thanks for getting 01 & 02 flying. I beleive they beat up just about any base that had had anything to do with the programme up to then so that may be when you got your visit.

Airbedane
30th Sep 2003, 03:07
LV,

Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust at Filton should be able to help you. They'll have a diary somewhere of all the flight's on which they participated, which I believe was most, if not all of them.

I've sent you a private message with telephone number and a contact name.

Good luck with your search,

Airbedane