PDA

View Full Version : HELP - what did I do to my shoes?

Onan the Clumsy
28th Sep 2003, 00:26
I just purchased a good pair of Johnson and Murphy shoes at a yard sale and bought them home to polish. I used Kiwi Parade gloss black and I couldn't believe how well the first one came out. I got the toecap shiny enough to see up a schoolgirl's...I mean I got it very shiny.

The problem is, the second one looks like the surface of the moon. What did I do wrong?

I think I slapped on too much polish and it went all lumpy, but how do I smooth it out/get it off and start again.

Call me a geek, but I just wanted a nice pair of shoes and I bet you guys know all the secrets.

Onan the Geeky Shoe Shining Fool :(

Aerobratic
28th Sep 2003, 00:36
Spray Bay + 6Pack=shiny shoes
:E

Onan the Clumsy
28th Sep 2003, 00:42
Thanks for the prompt reply...

...erm, anyone got anything helpful to add?

;)

country calls
28th Sep 2003, 01:10
Was the surface pitted before you had started? If it was, you can apply a thick coat of polish to the toecap and use the heat from a candle to melt it into the pitting, melting further layers in until you have a smooth base to start on. If you have applied polish and its started to pit, you need to get it all off (heat and kitchen roll) and start from scratch, after having thoroughly degreased the surface with nail varnish remover. The problem arises in that you will never get the same shine on each shoe so it may be worth your while starting both from scratch.

Spray paint, flexane and floor polish are all for idle types afraid of a bit of work!

(CC sits in the corner waiting for a thousand different methods of shining shoes to be posted!)

Oggin Aviator
28th Sep 2003, 01:37
Try here, some useful tips

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=96991

Enjoy!

Oggin

Captain Gadget
28th Sep 2003, 02:04
This needs balls, but...

Take a tablespoon (not a teaspoon, the curvature's too tight - and don't pinch Mrs Onan's best either, this spoon will be trashed and you might never live to see another dawn) . Heat the spoon in a gas flame (NOT over a candle) until the handle becomes pleasantly warm to the touch. Now dip the bowl of the spoon into Kiwi - it will hiss and steam - don't worry. IMMEDIATELY rub the back of the spoon, with a circular motion, into the leather, pushing down HARD all the while. As the spoon cools, dip it into the polish as often as necessary to give the leather as much as it needs into its open pores (you are NOT trying to cake it in polish, rather to impregnate it with the stuff).

Eventually the spoon will become too cool to melt the polish. Repeat this heat treatment until the leather is smooth and black - if you haven't put enough polish in to be soaked up, the leather will be grey-white and stink because you've burned it. Don't despair, just keep working at it until it looks right. Don't expect a shine at this stage, just smoothness and blackness.

Then leave the shoes overnight. Next day, start bulling. My own slant on the bulling thing is that spit builds up a coating, water builds up a shine. Having said that, there are as many variations on that theme as there are pairs of shoes. Take it from me though, black ones are easier than brown ones...

Now, is the Bendcules J better than the K, or what?

(Ducks)

G'night

Gadget :ok:

Onan the Clumsy
28th Sep 2003, 02:34
Thanks everyone. I read that other thread and am left asking "What's wrong with me?"

btw, I managed to level off the surface of the moon. It took a lot of heavy breathing and strenouos rubbing, but Onan the Clumsy is used to that. That toe cap is now slightly two tone, but at least I can build on that.

I'll go and iron my bed now :)

WASALOADIE
28th Sep 2003, 03:28
I haven't heard of anyone doing that since my dad told me he used to do it during national service.

Runaway Gun
28th Sep 2003, 03:55
What's that Wasa? Did your Dad make you do 'heavy breathing and strenuos rubbing' ???

Captain Gadget
28th Sep 2003, 03:57
Old enough to remember ammo boots that had pimples on the toecaps as well as on the uppers, until you learned to sort them out!

Incidentally, the spoon sorted out the pimples on the uppers, too - this emphasis on toecaps is sooo modern!

Gadget :{

Onan the Clumsy
28th Sep 2003, 12:17
I would never have made it in the military.

Shame really.