PDA

View Full Version : Concorde kevlar tankliners

Kerosene Kraut
17th Jan 2001, 12:39
BA currently fits their Concorde fleet with kevlar "liners". Having read (well, tried to) the french accident report I understand that the tank rupture did occure due to a series of shockwaves from the exploding tire.
My question is: Would the new kevlar lining prevent the tank from rupturing in the very same scenario? Or is this more an improved general protection against sharp objects like that fatal metal-part?

enntwo
17th Jan 2001, 13:04
Kraut
Why not just be pleased that, after detailed consideration of all potential problems by those who do understand technical matters, and extensive research into appropriate modificiations, the BA Concordes are likely to be flying again in the near future.
Wonderful news!
What's your interest, Kraut?
You don't give your occupation.

Mungo
17th Jan 2001, 14:12
Yes, it will be great to see Concorde back in the air again.
What is the weight penalty associated with this mod and how does affect the volumetric fuel capacity.
What will this do to the range?

Kerosene Kraut
17th Jan 2001, 14:32
N2
I would certainly love to see Concorde flying again asap too. I just wondered about my personal interpretation of the findings, which might have been a language problem like I mentioned. If one has a question one should be allowed to ask, right? And I did not critisize anybody so why do you sound so unfriendly?

enntwo
17th Jan 2001, 15:59
Kraut
Concorde was grounded because of politics, and Press trouble-making did not help.
Journalists will happily distort anything for a story, regardless of the consequences, and I have no doubt will try to find something to "expose" ( :rolleyes: ) about what ever modifications are made.
I don't fly for BA, and I've no ambition to do so, or to fly Concorde - but I'd like to see it fly again as soon as possible.
N2

Cuban_8
17th Jan 2001, 16:17
All,

In answer to some of the earlier posts, I understand that, from what I have read, the Kevlar liners have been designed to fulfil the following fuctions:

1) In the case of pressure waves travelling through the fuel tanks (the so called "shockwaves" within the tanks), the liners have been designed to dissipate and damp the forces.

2) In a situation that the fuel tanks were breached, the liners would help to stem the flow of fuel from the tanks.

I read that initially, it was hoped that testing trials could begin in France on the 18th Jan (tommorrow!) - I havent read anything recently so that date might have slipped. Does anyone know anymore?

Cheers,

Cuban_8

Kerosene Kraut
17th Jan 2001, 18:38
Thanks Cuban_8!
Flight to Istres still should take place on thursday. There is more info at Reuters about it:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010116/wl/britain_concorde_dc_1.html

About kevlar it says the following:

A First For A Civil Airliner

The Kevlar-rubber that will line the Concorde fuel tanks has never been fixed on civil planes before. Used in flak-jackets to shield wearers from bullets, it is also regularly fitted in military helicopters and Formula One racing cars to resist fire.
The liner is made up of tailor-made sections -- between four and six feet long and between one foot (35 cm)and 18 inches wide -- that fit into the wing tanks. Strong but flexible, its aim will be to protect the Concorde
tanks even if they are punctured.

"Should the underside of the tank become punctured, the tank liner is sucked down into the resulting hole. Because it is flexible, it plugs the hole,'' Bannister said.

(edited to spell cuban_8 correct)

[This message has been edited by Kerosene Kraut (edited 17 January 2001).]

Juliet November
17th Jan 2001, 19:08
I hope, oh I hope she'll be up and flying again shortly. Even though I'm not one of the lucky few who's got the mullah to spend on a Concorde trip (unless on ID basis) the world is a sadder and more boring place without them around. The sound alone makes guys like me get, well, ...... aroused could be an appropriate word since we're not in Jet Blast .

Tcas,
With you all the way mate, just say the word.

Buffy Summers
19th Jan 2001, 03:55
Previously, was there no lining in the wing tanks? Having never seen the inside of a fuel tank, or wing, is there an inner skin of metal or some other "protection" at all, between the fuel and the outer skin? (ie. before the new kevlar inners)
I apologise now for my ignorant question :)