PDA

View Full Version : Flying on GB Airways

Wannabe Flyboy
27th Sep 2003, 15:01
Hi,

I am intending to make a trip on a GB Airways A320 to Montpellier for my Summer 2004 holiday, but before I go ahead and book I wanted to ask you all about any experiences you've had on GB Airways?

What is the food like, what is the seat configuration, is there any in-flight entertainment etc.?

Also, what is the chance of a family of 4 (2 adults, 1 kid and a teenager) blagging a free upgrade at the check-in desk? Not high I would've thought, but it can't hurt to ask!

Thanks in advance. :)

Wannabe Flyboy
28th Sep 2003, 00:17
Oh, and another question; if I was to take my airband scanner on-board would I be able to use it? It's just a receiver, not a transmitter (Maycom AR-108 if anyone is that interested).

surely not
28th Sep 2003, 00:31
Flew with them to CMN on the 737 several years back and they were fine. Good service, reasonable food.

Forget the airband though!!!

BAe 146-100
28th Sep 2003, 00:44
Hi,

Some GB Airways flight reviews http://www.carsurvey.org/air/airline_GB+Airways.html.

BAe 146-100

Wannabe Flyboy
28th Sep 2003, 04:30
Thanks Surely Not & BAe 146-100 :)

I presume the no-airband is a post-9/11 thing?

Wannabe Flyboy
29th Sep 2003, 01:22
Has anybody got and ideas on the in-flight entertainment, and what kind of food would be served in a 1h45min flight from LGW - Montpellier?

Oh, and what are the odds of an upgrade if we smile lots? ;)

Globaliser
29th Sep 2003, 06:59
It sounds like you are on a franchise flight operated by GB for BA. As I understand it, in essence the cabins and cabin service should be substantively indistinguishable from BA mainline European service.

As you are in economy, the cabin will be 3-3 in an A320. The Club Europe section is 3-2 or 2-3 using the standard convertible seats. (Some GT 737s were in 2-2 in Club which was very nice, but they are being phased out.)

Assuming that there are no more changes to the catering on European services between now and next summer, chances are you will get an All Day Deli bag, with a sandwich and a piece of cake (or something similar). There should be a complimentary bar service (except champagne) and tea/coffee.

It is said that GT staff are more consistently friendly and welcoming than BA mainline staff, but I haven't flown them enough to be confident about saying so.

As with all BA services, the chances of a group being upgraded for free are very very slim. BA are not generally in the habit of giving away expensive services for nothing, although sometimes they are forced to and some very opaque systems come into play in deciding who does and doesn't get upgraded.

I'd always thought the use of radio receivers was strictly forbidden at all stages of a flight, even if they don't intentionally transmit.

Wannabe Flyboy
29th Sep 2003, 20:07
Cheers Globaliser, that's answered all my questions. :)

Wannabe Flyboy
1st Oct 2003, 22:15
Well, nearly - I've thought of another one!

Having not flown on a commericial airliners since the 1990s I apologise incase I ask the most basic of questions, but what are the chances of being able to get onto the flightdeck for a while? Post 9/11 I'd imagine that it'd be no access during the flight but I am not sure. If not, would it be possible on the ground before/after the flight?

Thanks, once again, in advance.

Globaliser
1st Oct 2003, 23:01
Nil chance in flight.

Visits are certainly possible after the flight, as SSC's flight deck is "tourist open house" after almost every flight now. The main considerations will be the crew's workload. If they only have a short turnaround before the next sector, they're likely to want to get on with their work. If you're on the last flight of the day, they may just want to get home. It can't hurt to ask, though, as long as you're polite and obviously prepared to take no for an answer. Be sensitive.

I normally don't think of before flight as a good time, because by the time pax are boarded it's usually quite a high workload time for the crew. The only exception I made was once in the US when we had a significant tech delay after boarding and we were kept on board. While we were waiting for engineers and parts to turn up, I did get an opportunity to go forward and have a chat.

Wannabe Flyboy
1st Oct 2003, 23:54
Cheers Gobaliser, that's pretty much confirmed what I thought. I'll be sure to pop back with any more questions!

HolyMoley
2nd Oct 2003, 00:51
You'll not find any inflight entertainment and a free upgrade is very unlikely if you've got kids. You'll probably have no trouble in getting a peek at the flight deck but please have some intelligent (but easy) questions!

Wannabe Flyboy
2nd Oct 2003, 01:03
Intelligent questions? Blimey HolyMoley, that may be a struggle ;).

Does 'what kind of fuel consumption do you have compared to your average family car?' count?

HolyMoley
2nd Oct 2003, 23:17
I was hoping for something better than 'do you know what all those buttons do?' (no) or (a genuine one, this) 'is tha' your 'at?' (yes). Just something to start a conversation really, 'cos I got stuff to do if you're just going to stand there looking blank! :rolleyes:

Sharjah Night Shift
4th Oct 2003, 01:53
Just got back from Malta yesterday on one of their A321s.

Very nice cabin with blue leather seats but let down by a lack of cleaning in some places, most seats showed signs of the table being folded away with the meal still there! Hot edible meals both ways and a good drinks service if you like a G&T with your breakfast.

Chances of an upgrade are slim as they use convertible seats in the forward cabin with a moveable divider. If they do upgrade somebody it will be to fill the odd seats if economy is full and they need an extra row in biz.

Wannabe Flyboy
4th Oct 2003, 20:02
OK, thanks to everyone who has replied; I think I have been told everything I need to know :).

Man Flex
10th Oct 2003, 20:20
Just to add my 2ps worth. The Montpellier flights under GB have been very succesful and nearly every flight is full. So, no chance of an upgrade and it is likely to be an Airbus 321. As from the New Year all flights under 3 hours will be served with the standard deli-bag as opposed to a hot meal in order to bring the company in line with mainline BA. As for the crew they are all excellent and I doubt you'll be disapponted in the service. Pop up to flight deck as you leave the aircraft and say hello by all means but remember that pilots are practical people and most probably don't have a clue as to how the fuel consumption compares with a family car. The difference is that we work in kilos and tonnes not gallons! The air band is a definite no-no as was recently highlighted when a gentleman was identified as trying to record the PAs using a tape recorder for some 'home' project.

P.S. It's a beautiful part of the world down there and in the summer you may see dozens of pink flamingos as you taxi past on the runway!

Wannabe Flyboy
10th Oct 2003, 23:51
Man Flex, I presume that having the scanner out in/around the airports will be okay (i.e. I won't get is taken off me by security?), or does it have to go in my bag?

I'll keep an eye out for the flamingos as well!

Globaliser
11th Oct 2003, 01:01
Man Flex: ... as was recently highlighted when a gentleman was identified as trying to record the PAs using a tape recorder for some 'home' project.If you want to see/hear "record the PAs", try http://www.travelscholar.com/concorde/index.shtml - the links to the recordings start on the second page but the entire report is a class work, whether or not he should have been taping!

Have to try not to :{ when reading though.

The Scarlet Pimpernel
11th Oct 2003, 05:38
Wannabe,

I really do hope that you enjoy your trip to the south of France - MPL is a fantastic area! Having seen them work, the guys down the back are fantastic - very friendly and professional. As you may have gathered, before 2004 you'll get a hot meal - although from experience, the flight time can be such that it's all a bit of a rush to get everything done. This may be one of the many reasons that we're going to the deli-bag....

Do feel free to come up to the flight deck for a quick chat once you're on stand - it's nice to see the occasional passenger to have a natter with, but don't feel aggrieved if we have to crack on with the turnround as sometimes time is of the essence!

GB is a great little outfit that works well...I hope your trip's enjoyable!!

TSP:D

PS. Sharjah....have to agree with you on some of the cleaning, particularly at LHR. The amount of times we have to call the cleaners back for the state of the tables and seat pockets beggars belief. Having said that, some pax treat the aircraft as a portable dustbin - I've seen less mess at feeding time at the zoo!!