PDA

View Full Version : Course Date Info?

pintail
27th Sep 2003, 04:13
Hello there,

I went through the second interview at the start of August, and was thankfully successful (Second Officer). Cathay told me then that they would like to offer me a course date right away but could not at that time because of a backlog in the training department and said that I should be called no later than Jan 2004 to begin. Just wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat, or has any information on how quickly the training is coming along? My 1st interview was in April, and I know there was a group of new hires for Second Officer just before me. Any of those gentlemen care to comment or share if they have started training? Anyone else?

I know it doesn't seem like that long but I'm looking forward to joining and any info about dates would be appreciated. Kinda feels like limbo.

Thanks,

pintail

nike
29th Sep 2003, 11:02
I know what you mean, but don't fret it'll all get under way in due course.

Might aswell sit back, relax and enjoy your last days where you are now. At least that's what I am trying to do....

P.S. Congrats.

pintail
30th Sep 2003, 02:25
Since I am getting quite a few PM's wondering about my own qualifications, timeline, and thoughts on the process, I thought that I could answer them all here.....

NOTE: Please remember this is just my opinion and experience, I am sure that there are many different experiences out there as there are opinions - I'm just trying to help out.

I have:

2400 tt, 1700 multi turbine, 480 pic tt (not turbine), and experience is piston instructor first, then a couple different turbine aircraft in the 19-50 seat area.

In my humble experience and opinion -

Applying:

I have been applying to Cathay for two years, and started before I had their min. qualifications. I sent cover letters and CV's by email, fax, courier, mail over that time and same for the application form. App is tough because you have to put your best foot forward in the space allotted so it is worth to take time and make use of each word. I definitely agree with other posts that talk about squeeky wheel gets the oil - polite but regular contact shows both your interest and maybe makes you more than a name on a piece of paper. Throughout the interview process I got a feeling that a lot of emphasis and focus was on what kind of person I am - ie. could I spent 15 hrs on a flight deck with this person, are they going to fit in with the expat community in HKG, at Cathay, etc., as well of course as technical knowledge. Contact with them gives them the personality that there isn't so much space for on the app. (These are just my thoughts remember, I am not an expert, I just did my best and feel very lucky to get on)

The interview:

I did a 30 question quiz covering airmanship, jet theory, met, regs, and general knowledge and had 30 minutes multi-choice. I wrote it before the interview.
The interview was pretty much as published in all the books and advice that is out there - good cop bad cop, approx half heavy technical (do not bullsh*t them, they will prob. ask about a subject until you don't know anyway) and half human resource personality and stress testing. Be honest, use common sense, listen carefully to what might also be being asked in the question, and be efficient with your words - all pretty much standard interview stuff. Both interviews were the same, 1st one was 1.5 hrs, second about 1.1. Don't get rattled, upset, angry, frustrated worried etc. - some interview tech. and questions are designed to do that. Other then that - the interviewers were excellent gentlemen who I realized, once I/when I had brief glimpses of getting over my nerves, were really working with me rather than against me.
Handling the Big Jets mandatory - lots of questions practically right out of it, Fly the Wing, Turbine Pilots Flight Manual, Captain X,Y,Z Prep for CX Interview, Captain A,B,C Interview Q's explained, and other normal met, reg, tech books, as well as the tech post in pprune, and boeing and airbus sites (and others I am sure) I would know it better than just the answers to prep questions, they go deeper than just one question to see if you really know or understand what you are talking about.
Be professional, business-like in dress and behaviour, treat it like you are going to a business meeting to make an important presentation - on yourself.

The Sim:

As advertised, pressure packed and busy. I highly recommend esp. for those with no jet and/or larger heavier a/c experience to rent an hour in a 747 sim. A lot of guys wash out because of the sim. It is enough pressure without feeling that much momentum, weight, powered controls (super touchy - easy to overcontrol) for the very first time. That being said you can still make it with a rough sim, they are looking for improvement over the eval, even with an hour or not they don't expect you to know how to fly a 747 well, just react to what it is doing and show you know what to do when an airplane does those things.

Cocktail party - a nice time, no games that I could see, just getting to know me a little as a human being. That being said, I couldn't believe some things I heard a couple candidates saying. Definitely not the time to be opinionated or controversial. Polite, friendly, likeable, relax and be yourself. Have a nice time - they are.

That is it. Hope it helps at all. I know the feeling of applying - Cathay is where I always wanted to go, and seeing the operation in Hong Kong just confirmed why. Good luck to everyone and anyone, hope to see you there.:ok:

9M_JON
30th Sep 2003, 06:55
Once again congratulations on your successful entry into CX.Thankyou so much for your comprehensive write up about your application & interview process.It is so helpful and with such an attitude no wonder you can make it.
It would be great to work for a company with the
likes of you & those that you mentioned.So happy flying mate & cheers.Hope to be there too.

ronnie123
30th Sep 2003, 17:02
PINTAIL

THANK YOU FOR ALL THIS INFO. YOU WILL MAKE A GOOD CAPTAIN ON CX ONE DAY.