PDA

View Full Version : A Caribbean and Latin America Survey

Panama Jack
26th Sep 2003, 19:30
It is sad to note that this forum is one of the least vibrant of the many PPRUNE sites. I say that this is sad simply because Latin America is where I call home, and it is an area of intense passion for me. Aviation is unfortunately not as active as in North America, Europe or Asia, but it is interesting and has some of the longest history (note that Avianca (Colombia) is America's oldest existing airline). It makes me wonder how many visitors here actually live, work, or have worked in the region that could be classified as Carribean and Latin America and if you wouldn't mind "Squak Identing?" I appreciate the desire for anonymity and privacy, and so you can be as detailed as you want.

So since I am soliciting, I guess I should go first. I live in Central America and have worked there in the past. Currently I fly in the Middle East though (makes for a very long commute).

Anyone else?

And while I am asking, are any of you aware of other Latin American or Caribbean pilot forums in English or Spanish?

Hope to see more than two replies. Saludos! :ok:

ferrydude
26th Sep 2003, 23:38
err, ahhhh, Are you sure of your claim about Avianca? Is Chalks not the oldest existing American Airline?

crack up
27th Sep 2003, 01:55
Been living and working in Central America for the past 14 yrs. Africa(Nigeria, the SH of the universe) for 1 1/2 yrs before CA.

I am a US citizen but you can't beat Central America and the people, cost of living, quality of life, all that. I've got kids, I think they are safer here, I know they have alot more freedom and fun than their US counterparts, I know I do.
Panama Jack, I see you live in Nicaragua,
I did some work for a Nicaraguan co. A guy can have a whole lota fun in Managua.
Chao

tropical wave
27th Sep 2003, 03:29
OK then...I fly from the Caribbean to North America, also based in the eastern Caribbean.....i also enjoy another web site called caribbeanalpa.com .....good local info

Panama Jack
27th Sep 2003, 04:24
err, ahhhh, Are you sure of your claim about Avianca? Is Chalks not the oldest existing American Airline?

Uhhhh, I don't know. I see Chalks started in 1919 and so did Avianca-- you may well be right. What month did Chalks start in? Fair to say that Avianca is the oldest operating major airline in America?

"Avianca Colombia can trace it's history back to December 1919 when it began flights as Sociedad Colombo-Alemanos de Transportes Aereos (SCADTA). First flights were with Junkers F-13 aircraft with regional flights to Ecuador and Venezuela using Junkers W34s. In 1930 after Pan American gained an 80 percent interest in SCADTA the German aircraft fleet was replaced with American types.

The airline took the name Avianca after a merger with SCAO in 1940. It's full name was Aerovias Nacionales de Colombia. By 1947 Avianca was flying to Miami using leased DC-4 aircraft with a service to New York in 1949. By the early 1950s Avianca flew services to Europe using a fleet of DC-4s (Frankfurt, Paris and Lisbon) although this fleet type was replaced on these long-haul routes by Lockheed Constellations.

By 1962 Avianca had re-equipped with Boeing 707s and Boeing 727s with Boeing 727-100s introduced in 1966. The wide-red cheatline livery (shown below) was introduced by 1970. The mid 1970s (1976) saw Boeing 747s and Boeing 757s in the 1980s. The 747s were supplemented with Boeing 767s.

FLEET: Boeing 767-300ER, Boeing 757, Boeing 727-200, Fokker 50, MD-83."

Panama Jack
28th Sep 2003, 22:58
Soooooo . . . . . any more people want to make a post on this thread?????

Capt. Greaseon
29th Sep 2003, 08:56
Fly Dash 8s in the eastern Caribbean. Been doing that for about 3 years now. B4 instructed in the US Virgin Islands, also flew the infamous Islander for a little while. Love the Caribbean great place to live and work.

Don't mind the name they usually know when we "arrive"!!!!!!!

Captain Stable
29th Sep 2003, 17:21
I'm no longer in the region, unfortunately. I lived in the Eastern Caribbean for a few years. Flew a mixture of machines - mostly the "infamous Islander" :ok:

neil armstrong
29th Sep 2003, 18:30
I lived in Miami for a while flying to the Bahama's.
These days it's Europe again.
But i love CA and i've got a lots of friends there.
Might start a non aviation related business there soon and if im lucky spent more time there.

Neil

xdc9er
29th Sep 2003, 21:19
HI all, Living in the Eastern Caribbean,formerly based in Aruba ,flew to East coast US , and Venezuela , Colombia etc, now hopping islands in the corner of the Caribbean in a DHC6.LOL

B Sousa
30th Sep 2003, 12:15
Never done the "Central American " things, have done a few seasons in the Virgins and do hope to be there again this Xmas.......
Helicopter types just dont have the range of all those big airplanes......
Im sure living there with a few extra pesos can be very nice, but I have found that South Africa is also very nice and I guess in this lifetime I wont be making it to Belieze or Costa Rica. Maybe on the other side......
keep the forum alive, many wonderful people down there......

BajanIslandHopper
30th Sep 2003, 23:31
Hi

Left the Caribbean about 5 years ago, now flying B747-400 in the UK. Born in Barbados and I have lived and worked in several of the islands. Types flown, DHC-6, DHC-8, BAe 146-100.

BIH

bumboclot
1st Oct 2003, 01:15
originally from canada, i've been flying in Belize for the past 3 years and i love the place!

S. Dumont
1st Oct 2003, 04:42
Hello

I'm building those hours in order to take my CPL. Originally from Rio de Janeiro, now living in Porto Alegre, Brazil.

I agree that this forum could be more popular. At least for Brazil, we have a great amount of pilots around with two majors airlines and a few regional carriers.

AeroBoero
2nd Oct 2003, 08:46
Back in Brazil since January and still looking for a job.:{ Came back from Holland.

Panama Jack
3rd Oct 2003, 02:43
Welcome back to this part of the world AeroBoero-- hope you find something soon-- hang in there!!! :ok:

broadreach
5th Oct 2003, 11:47
Welcome back indeed, AeroBoero. Impeccable timing! Have you $100 to spare so we can get a PP-RUN reg?

RRC
6th Oct 2003, 00:05
Regret I haven´t been here for a while and agree that our Forum ins´t the most visited. Let´s try to turn this around and Panama Jack´s initiative is a very welcome one.
I´m currently flying B767-300F for ABSA based out of Viracopos to Miami with stops all over S.Am. With a lucky twist of fate, I came out of Transbrasil just before it folded as a copilot and I have just completed my upgrade to Capt. For those who are aware of the situation with the airlines here, this is really LUCK!!!
There is a new venture popping up in Natal, northeast Brasil, where BRA will be flying B767´s to Europe. Hope this will bring back some old friends from the bushes to the cockpit again.
Aeroboero, good luck in your search for a flying job and welcome back from AMS

winglet21
6th Oct 2003, 21:22
Lack of participation in the discussions may be related to the challenge of do it in english so as everybody can get trough.
I lost my job after Varig management decided to sack the Board of APVAR (Varig Pilots Association). After many years flying from DC3's to B747's I have now a different approach with this profession. Still believing in justice, honour, solidarity and true friendship among pilots I live now with the support of my fellow pilots who stayed in the front lines of APVAR.
BRA / ROTATUR is a branch of Fundação Ruben Berta. As any other ventures owned by FRB, the costs (maintenance, despatch) are shared by Varig and the bonuses among the smart investors (guess who).

yachtpilot
7th Oct 2003, 22:47
I worked on a survey project in Guatemala....got to really like the area...the city has its problems but nothing too serious... people were fantastic...they love life.. something I seem to find in the worlds poorer areas strangely enough...
Tried hard to find a permanent position somewhere in Central America... no luck even with 7000 hrs most of which is Turbine time...if you hear of someone in need... let me know I won't even wait to pack my bags.. !

AeroBoero
9th Oct 2003, 05:10
$100:eek:? Not now…but always open for new possibilities.

RRC congrats on your command, long time no see (or better - hear) from you.:ok:

skyrocket
10th Oct 2003, 15:39
Did some flying in Belize for Maya in 88.
TCNA in the Turks and Caicos in 89.
Metro In San Jaun 90-92.

Now A340 in the Indian Ocean, must say I miss Caribbean. Memories Memories

Skyrocket.
:\

4144r
13th Oct 2003, 21:40
I flew cherokee 6 from 95 to 98, based St Martin FWI, then Navajo from Bahamas.
Now in Africa on Van and B190 since 3 years and really want to see again my islands. I miss Caribbean...
I somebody heard about something...email me
Soft Landing. :ok:

Panama Jack
20th Oct 2003, 20:02
Been away on vacation for the last few weeks (fun and sun with the family :cool: ) but I am happy to see that my post seems to have struck a chord.

Excellent point by Winglet21:

Lack of participation in the discussions may be related to the challenge of do it in english so as everybody can get trough.

I don't think anybody would have a serious objection to having someone say what they need to say in Spanish or Portuguese if that is the only way he can say it, seeing that it is also the lingua franca of the region-- better to have someone say it that way than not say anything at all. As for me I am fluent in Spanish, and I can stumble in French-- I think most of us here are multilingual. Having said that it seems that most pilots can speak some level of English. I recall having seen something about a sign at some restaurant in Southeast Asia:

"We speak broken English fluently."

I admire your noble dedication to furthering the fraternity amongst pilots, winglet21.

Still believing in justice, honour, solidarity and true friendship among pilots I live now with the support of my fellow pilots who stayed in the front lines of APVAR.

I feel that this forum, as well as any is an aid to helping us understand each other. Yes, I wear rose tinted lenses (Serenghettis), but seriously, this is one of the things that attracted me to the profession when I was in my teenage years. Recently, the greater competition, the one-upmanship, and the "me me me" attitude that we see with increased frequency threatens our profession and the conditions of our careers. I no longer look at a pilot group as one from a certain airline or a certain country. The worldwide trend is globalization-- if we are to survive we need to have that kind of outlook also.

Captain Stable
21st Oct 2003, 20:06
Sorry - at present the only language permissible here is English. The odd phrase (easily translatable by someone with only a smattering of Spanish) has crept in once or twice, and I've let it go - no big deal.

If anyone wants this Forum to go Spanish-speaking, then I feel it would be a pity since many readers of this Forum clearly don't speak Spanish (Portuguese is, I think, not an option) but also the Forum would need a Spanish-speaking Moderator. If anyone would be willing to volunteer, I would need some details to present to Danny for his approval.So, not saying no, just saying there are implications.

I'll put up a ballot for people to register their opinion.

Domincan
22nd Oct 2003, 09:11
Well guys I live in the carribean now for the past 13 years, and its been great. I've been lucky enough to live and work here. I flew for Dominicana de Aviation as a FE. When it close I when to work for a local charter company. Then I when to work for Alas Nacionales on the B767 & B757, then that company closed and I went to work at my persent employer. I fly now as captain on a GV for Allied Caribbean. This job is great fly worldway and good pay, a nice boss and good coworkers. I've tried to get back to the airline but there aren't may good jobs out there. LanDominicana is hiring but, the pay does not come compare to what I get paid now.

I pray that aviation in Latin America starts to grow and we can get a flying job for all who need a steat. Saludos :ok:

Pilocol
28th Oct 2003, 16:38
Panama Jack

Hello my friends....
I've flown in S.A. for a long time .... US for 5 yeras and now ... Midle East ... based in the sand pit ...

Panama Jack ... send me a personal M. will like to talk to you ...:)