PDA

View Full Version : helicopter meets car??

deeper
26th Sep 2003, 06:09
rumour has it that on thursday morning, while filming for a television commercial for an automobile company out of a longranger, that the two machines involved had a coming together when they were travelling in different directions.

the commercial was being produced at the outback location near leigh creek 300 k's north of adelaide in south australia.

apparently the skids or a skid of the 206l were ripped off and the helicopter rolled over later when trying to land. (unsubstatiated).

as far as we know nobody was injured.

it has not appeared on any news bulletins as yet.

stay tuned.

trimpot
26th Sep 2003, 16:42
Apparently flown by a very well known, Sydney Based, film pilot:eek:

helislave
26th Sep 2003, 16:44
If a a helo and a car come together , wouldn't that be an Autogyro? Been done before me thinks! :D

Hope everybody was ok though...:ooh:

trimpot
26th Sep 2003, 19:25
Update.

Mostly true, except machine not rolled over.;)

John Eacott
26th Sep 2003, 20:47
Hopefully not the same one that took the skid off a longranger at Ballarat filming a car commercial last year :eek: Or maybe the owner of said skidless machine :rolleyes:

Red Wine
27th Sep 2003, 07:19
If this is the machine from Australasian Helifilm, then its fitted with the STC 206-706-064-105 12 & 15, it may have just had its wheels retracted.

From memory, its a silver machine with red narrowing stripes towards the rear of the fusalage.

imabell
30th Sep 2003, 05:31
......gt.......

trimpot
30th Sep 2003, 12:03
imabell .......sure was.......

Apparenlty 5 months pregnant woman in the car (why I don't know) who's husband is a lawyer, very, very messy:E

hughjarse
7th Oct 2003, 09:12
just heard that a helicopter flew so low that the skid was torn off it after contacting the vehicles windscreen that it was filming and nearly decapitated the driver. Is this true, anyone shed some light. I havent read any reports, I heard casa have already swept it under the rug, whats happening to our industry?:ok: :rolleyes:

trimpot
7th Oct 2003, 14:07
see thread entitled "helicopter meets cars??"

Yes, it seems to have been swept under the carpet. :rolleyes:

sprocket
7th Oct 2003, 18:00
Just saw this thread thanks to hugjarse.

Oh dear that would be the black "L". Just goes to show that people in cars shouldn't drive at helicopters. They'll have to amend the road rules.
Low skids as well!:eek:

Genghis the Engineer
7th Oct 2003, 22:01
SH1t happens!

Some years ago, a rather younger Genghis was working at a small outfit in England called Westland Helicopters. I wasn't involved in this (phew) but saw the aftermath. They had been doing IGE hover performance testing in a Merlin prototype. For conditions measurement they borrowed an airfield fire engine (a long wheelbase Range Rover I think) which drove in formation with the helo on the airfield and had been fitted with suitable instrumentation.

So picture the scene - 2 pilots in the helicopter, one heads in, the other watching horizon references. 2 Flight Test Engineers in the Range Rover, one watching instruments, the other watching the helicopter and driving. Nobody was watching the terrain.

So, very calmly, the helicopter hovered over the hedge at the end of the runway, and the two FTEs followed it through the hedge, over the main road, and through another hedge before stopping up to it's axles in a freshly ploughed field. The airfield fire section were I understand rather unhappy!

G

Straight Up Again
8th Oct 2003, 06:19
Genghis,

I thought there was one that went through the fence at the other end of the runway? The FTE in question has a little diorama involving vehicles and hedges that somebody made for him. The fire station Range Rover was an ancient heap of cr@p, but thats no excuse for poor situational awareness. Wastelands now has a nicely kitted out Mitsubishi Shogun, and we preferred to use RNAS Merryfield for that sort of thing when I was there (the chef there did a mean curry once...).

Genghis the Engineer
8th Oct 2003, 07:29
Ahh, Royal Navy curries - you make my mouth water just with the thought.

Well, the Range Rover was certainly a mess when I saw it, but I can't vouch for it's condition prior.

G