PDA

View Full Version : flat feet?

Heeed
25th Sep 2003, 19:50
I have been asked a rather strange question (by a good family friend who wants to join the RAF) and I don't know the answer, so I thought I would throw it out to you guy's.

The question was: "can you join the RAF with flat feet?"

I would have guessed yes but I thought I best see if anyone knows the true answer.

Cheers in advance,

Heeed

Lukeafb1
25th Sep 2003, 20:35
Heeed,

Don't know if the rules have changed over the years, but flat feet used to mean an immediate return to civvy street. Had two or three chaps in my entry, who survived less than a week, or so.
But as I say, that was years ago, so better to get a current definitive view. Best of luck to your friend, anyway.:ok:

Mr C Hinecap
25th Sep 2003, 20:36
when I went through IOT the head Physio there was doing some research on this subject. He recorded an image of all our feet and gave us a traffic light code - red for those he thought would have lower limb problems.

Seems flat feet disperses the load placed on them better - therefore less prone to lower limb injury! Those with V high arches etc were more prone to trouble.

Saying that - could the RAF be up to speed with top research carried out by its own? I'd rather not answer THAT one!

polyglory
26th Sep 2003, 01:54
Joined the RAF in 64 with flat feet no Problems, The RAN and RAAF were not impressed at all .:cool:

RedOnCut
26th Sep 2003, 05:34
At Aircrew Medical, CME circa 1967::
Venerable old chappy in white coat with wide blue bands on shoulders says
" ya got flat feet fella, ya gonna find marchin abit painfull"
Said::
" not joinin to do marchin 'n stuff, just wanna fly things 'n kill people!!"
Just retired after full term , didn't do any marching, but there again, didn't do any killin either!!
:D

flyboy007
26th Sep 2003, 06:36
What about webbed feet?Or 6 fingers?

Mr C Hinecap
26th Sep 2003, 14:18
Then you're a local and you've managed to blag your way onto Coningsby by confusing the chaps on the gate!

tony draper
26th Sep 2003, 14:40
I had flatish feet when I was a nipper, doctor told me mum to make me excercise by picking marbles up with me toes, still a mean shot with a marble thrown by me right foot.
Dunno why really I never had any intention of even joining the cubs.
:rolleyes:

Heeed
26th Sep 2003, 16:25
Cheers for the input guy's, not sure about the marbles though... but i might suggest it to see if the dumb fool falls for it :ok: