PDA

View Full Version : UK to US..More routes?

transwede
25th Sep 2003, 04:11
I have read on another aviation discussion forum that Continental Airlines are officially studying a route from a selection of UK airports to EWR, initially with a 757.

Favourites are NCL, LTN or resurect the STN service. Others being looked at are PIK and CWL?

Whats your favourite? All have no transatlantic links....:O

BAe 146-100
25th Sep 2003, 04:15
Hi,

Hopefully Newcastle :ok:.

BAe 146-100

LGS6753
25th Sep 2003, 04:33
There was a rumour some months ago that CO were considering Luton. Only problem is short runway - anyone know whether a 757 could uplift an economic load for a transatlantic flight from LTN?
Monarch have operated to Bangor direct with A300 and 757 in the past.

MerchantVenturer
25th Sep 2003, 05:01
In 2001 BRS management were saying they were in serious negotiation with an airline (believed to be Continental) for a daily EWR service. They then said at that time that they had missed out to another UK airport but allegedly were that airline's next serious UK contender.

Then came September 2001 and all moves were put on hold. However, with the recent announcement of EDI's Continental route to EWR there may be some credence to the BRS statement in 2001.

Their latest pronouncement is that they are very confident of securing a daily 'New York' service (undoubtedly EWR) within two years. They have carried out an in depth survey (they say) that suggests there are enough pax for a daily 757.

However, the problem as I see it is the runway length - 6,600 feet and 600 feet above sea level. In response to my questions the airport management has assured me that a 'fully loaded' 757 could get off the Lulsgate runway for a non stop run to New York. Perhaps those on this board with technical knowledge and BRS knowledge could confirm or deny this, because I am still sceptical.

I would think that in the west/south Wales region it would be a toss up whether the route would be from CWL or BRS: the former's longer runway versus the latter's probable capacity for generating more pax.

MD11FAN
26th Sep 2003, 05:55
Prior to Edinburgh announcement, I would have gone for Newcastle. Bristol seems more likely to me now; larger catchment area that doesn't overlap with any other airport currently served.

Golf Charlie Charlie
26th Sep 2003, 06:29
Wouldn't Continental be more likely to resume their aborted Stansted service, than operate out of Bristol or Cardiff ? Not sure, but the Bristol runway sounds a bit on the short side to me to guarantee a year round non-stop, despite their RR-powered 757s. I imagine Continental really want Heathrow when the rules change.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
26th Sep 2003, 16:32
Manchester with COA become a B777 route again next spring

Golf India Bravo

Confirmed Must Ride
26th Sep 2003, 17:32
just built 757 leaving OGG which has a 7000ft rwy. According to figures with 20 flap its RTOW is well over structural so I would not have thought BRS a problem. Have not got BRS in my system so cant do exact figures.

Buster the Bear
26th Sep 2003, 17:57
Monarch operated a B757 across the Atlantic stopping at Bangor Maine for fuel/customs/Immigration with 235 potential passengers. No way would Continental have that many seats.

In the late 80's Monarch planned a series of charters to Boston and New York from Luton. These however, did not actually operate as the charterer went bust. They were due to be flown by a B757.

Continental have a maintenence contract with Monarch which sees a B757 at Luton very regularly anyway. The flight usually postions in and out to Newark empty.

How about a low cost all economy operation from Luton to Newark, or even an all business layout?

IanH
27th Sep 2003, 09:36
Does it have to be to New York/ Newark ?

Continental have a hub in Houston amongst others.......... That could be a good move for residents of Scotland and the North of England....

My vote would be for PIK - IAH ........ I will dream on though......

Ian H

richardnei
28th Sep 2003, 02:18
Any chance of Continental starting a EWR route from Belfast soon.

Im sure we could fill a 757 on a 3 or 4 times weekly service.

Aer Lingus have managed to operated from BFS to JFK in the past via Shannon.

Richard

Tom the Tenor
28th Sep 2003, 03:04
I am sure Belfast to NYC would fill bums on seat no problem just like Cork - NYC would ;) but, again, it more likely to be an issue of yield with the likes of Continental looking for higher fare biz passengers and maybe from thinner routes like Belfast and Cork the number of higher yield pax does not add up. Give it another two years or so and hopefully things will be better. :8