PDA

View Full Version : FAA requirements & conversion in the UK

Capt. Manuvar
24th Sep 2003, 22:58
I just got my JAA PPL and i want to convert to an FAA PPL and do the Instrumnet and commercial written exams in the UK, b4 going stateside to do FAA CPL/MEL/IR.
1. If i do my conversion here in the UK do i still need to go through the new 90-day security procedure?
2. I was reading the FAR's :yuk: and came across the 3hrs night, 3hrs IFR requirement. Do i have to meet these requirements or do i just have to do the FAA written and the checkride?
3. Does the 3 full stop solo TO&landing at a ctrl'd arpt apply?
All info appreciated.

flyer75
24th Sep 2003, 23:13
**** man,sorry 4 my english...but first of all where do you want to work?live?
Dont bother getting an FAA licence if you plan on coming back to europe,,,airlines dont want to see you did cpl in the USA..even if jar approved.

About the 3 t/o and landings...go under FAR AIM 141 in integrated classes in the USA or FARAIM61 if modular way....in Europe just check the CAA web site and check 4 CPL requirements etc..
Tailwinds,

Flyer75

Capt. Manuvar
25th Sep 2003, 03:54
According to a popular survey, airlines don't give didlysquat about where you did your training. Most of the airline pilots i know flying in europe trained in the US,including a BA captain!
I've checked the FAR's on the website and it doesnt say anything about converting.
The reason i want an FAA license is i have more contacts outside europe and have a better chance getting a job with them than in europe.

flat-tire
25th Sep 2003, 06:53
Best thing to do is to call the FAA and see what their advice would be. If that doesn't help then call a school in the states and have them get the info for you. They will do anything to get your business. I know for a fact that you will not find much on conversions in the FARs. The FAA prefers that we send them their way to sort out logbooks and etc. Though I have herd there are FAA examiners located in Europe that can do check rides and rating conversions. Oh, there is a document on the CAA website that might help. It deals with flying in the states and the new rules involved for JAA pilots.

Good Luck

dorosenco
25th Sep 2003, 07:21
Capt. Manuvar,

Check my website www.passion2fly.com link "FAA Conversions". Everything is in there !

No,
For a JAA PPL conversion to FAA PPL you don't have to do anything. Just get your "Verification of Authenticity" done and come to the US to have your FAA PPL issued.

Regarding you Instr/CPL flight training, check out my "Flight Training" link. It says everything about how using your overseas hours towards your FAA licenses.

Good Luck

send me a private e-mail at [email protected] for additional informations ...

Capt. Manuvar
25th Sep 2003, 21:01
Thanks guys for the replies, i'll try to search around :uhoh: