PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian BAC ONE-ELEVENS

mrshubigbus
24th Sep 2003, 18:49
Can anyone tell me if any 1-11s are still flying in Nigeria? The fleet was grounded last year after the EAS crash. Does anyone know where all the 1-11s are? As many as 60 aircraft are in the country presumeably most of them are stored or derelict. Any news or sightings of any of these classic old machines would be appreciated.

BAe 146-100
24th Sep 2003, 23:02
Hi,

mrshubigbus, I read that Albar-ka Airlines, Chanchangi Airlines and Savannah Airlines still operate the BAC 1-11 in Nigeria.

BAe 146-100

Boss Raptor
25th Sep 2003, 19:35
Savannah havent operated for nearly 2 years...

At least 1 Albarka 1-11 written off in the freak storm at Abuja last year

Chanchangi 1-11 grounded and due to be replaced by B737-200s', aircraft at Kaduna along with the Hold Trade hulks

Okada's fleet strewn across Benin airport derelict, ADC's broken up years ago in the UK

rest all grounded anyway, EAS, Kabo, Oriental, GAS not sure where the aircraft are situated

Treetopflyer
25th Sep 2003, 23:54
Drop by the Medavia maintenance facility on Luqa Airport in Malta (LMML). You'll see at least six BAC111s, former British World & Albarka Air. They have been bought up by Libyan Arab Airlines and are presently being refurbished.:ok:

chuks
10th Oct 2003, 14:59
In the wake of the Kano crash the Nigerian authorities imposed a ban on the use of the BAC 1-11 for public transport flying.

There is one last example still flying as the private transport of an airline operator, I think.

Most of the rest are scattered about here and there, usually minus the engines or else having been crashed at some time in the distant past.

For instance, Jos Airport has one just sat there on the edge of the ramp still in its Okada Airlines paintjob, up on a wooden cradle since the nosegear fell victim to a late round-out.

Port Harcourt has two, but way out in the bush, along with a 707-320 minus its engines.

Lagos has lots, too many to count.

Benin was the home base for Okada Airlines. We used to amuse ourselves by trying to guess how many, as a wager between self and co-pilot. The correct number was something like 12, as I remember. There was one that was hard to spot. (I had, of course, cheated by walking around one day doing an exact count. One must keep one's edge over these young whippersnappers coming up from behind.)

For a while there was one parked right by the side of the main highway in Sokoto, minus its gear. The plug overwing exits were open with various indigenes sat taking their ease in the cabin, just watching the world go past on the highway. Now there is something you don't get to see every day! Someone must have got a tiny bit lost, landing at the wrong airport and then wiping the gear off in a ditch before slithering under a high-voltage line that just cleared the fin. Amazing luck.

If you really like looking at old junk then check out Sao Tome. There you can see a couple of Constellations which must be left over from the Biafra War.

Just be careful walking around gawking at old airplanes, since they often make a nice shady place for someone to relieve himself. Watch your step! I found that out to my cost when admiring a Beagle on practically my first day in country. I was looking up at this relic when I thought, 'What's that smell?' Doh!

BAe 146-100
10th Oct 2003, 17:40
Hi,

Drop by the Medavia maintenance facility on Luqa Airport in Malta (LMML). You'll see at least six BAC111s, former British World & Albarka Air.

Some intresting pics of the BAC-1-11's at Malta.

Libyan Arab Airlines:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/437516/M/

British World Airlines:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/436396/M/

Albarka Air Services:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/435165/M/

BAe 146-100 :)

coopervane
12th Oct 2003, 05:23
While on the subject of old airliners in Africa, does anyone know what became of the ex BA Trident 3's that went down there?
Think they went on the 9Q req but cant remember.

I was told that they were bought as freighters but with no cargo do, must have been interesting.

I dare say they are wrecks by now but any news of a pic would be nice.

Coop & Bear

Gordinho
5th Nov 2003, 00:19
The private one could be Kabo's. Even though the old man has passed on the company is still flying.