PDA

View Full Version : FAA ATP examiners

canileb
24th Sep 2003, 04:37
Hi,

I hold a FAA com and would like to do my FAA ATP but I do not want to have to go to the US (visa hassle) so does anyone know if there is a FAA examiner somewhere in Africa (or anywhere else but the U.S. for that matter)?

Thanks!

V1 Rotate
25th Sep 2003, 00:23
Try Tony Smitt

V1

canileb
25th Sep 2003, 19:12
Thanks! How do I get a hold of him?

B Sousa
26th Sep 2003, 00:36
A word of caution for those who are looking for a Designated Examiner in a Foriegn Country. Some, who hold licenses from the U.S. are pulling the wool over some eyes. That is to say check His/Her FAA credentials before you lay out big money. Our licensing is much simpler than most and is easy to falsify. A Pilot from the U.S. will have a simple card which in fact is his/her license. A CFI will have two, one a license and one will be an Instructors license. Both are only valid when accompanied by a current FAA medical and proper logbook endorsements. A CFI can give Currency and Bi-Annuals, but only a Designated Examiner can issue a new license or add-on rating. They will have a certificate issued by the FAA to indicate they are Designated Examiners.
It is rumored that some folks are running around Africa with false or expired documents, so employers and prospective pilots should be aware.
You may be able to verify someones status by email to www.faa.gov however its a big organization where emails and many other things get lost in the shuffle. If you are in South Africa and have a question as to a Pilot/Instructors status with the FAA. You should be able to verify it through the CAA in Pretoria.
I also would check with FARS about obtaining an FAA License in a foriegn country. I think I saw something that prohibits the initial issuance outside U.S. Soil.

This is not to question the above named here, I dont know him. Its to let folks know that some in the states cheat also and it saves you time and money to have this ahead of time.
Good Luck

canileb
26th Sep 2003, 16:23
Very good point. Thanks.

V1 Rotate
27th Sep 2003, 07:10
Tony Smitt is very much a genuine examiner.
I am sure anyone at Lanseria will know how to get a hold of him.

V1 Rotate

B Sousa
27th Sep 2003, 13:41
V1 Since you know Tony, maybe I can ask you some questions about Designated Examiners. I had heard that they have to give initial Checks on U.S. Soil. I dont know if that applies to one rated and going for another initial in the sense that the question asked here was about going from Comm to ATP. It would be worth checking out with FAA unless you have your handy FAR/AIM. I cant find it.
Also since its an FAA ride Im sure it would have to be done in an "N" numbered aircraft. Correct??
Also most all pilots show up in www.landings.com I cant seem to find Tony. Doesnt mean anything. Also clarifying that you know for sure he is a D.E., not just a CFI??

bluesafrica
27th Sep 2003, 17:26
I know that ATP check ride is possible to do in Canada, at least. Maybe requires some advance paperwork with FAA. As well FAA type ratings can be done in any registry.
Blues

C4
29th Sep 2003, 03:16
To my knowledge it must be done in a US (N) registered aircraft.. Had to come to the US to do it..
Never looked back!!!!!

B Sousa
29th Sep 2003, 05:24
So we do have a couple different answers which tells me before I would lay out cash. I would get the official answer from the FAA....

C4
29th Sep 2003, 09:03
The answer lies in the FAR's.. In part 61... 61.45 to be exact..

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_14/14cfr61_00.html

Follow the white rabbit for the answer!!!! IE: LOOK AT (2)(ii) below

§ 61.45 Practical tests: Required aircraft and equipment.

(a) General. Except as provided in paragraph (a)(2) of this section or when permitted to accomplish the entire flight increment of the practical test in a flight simulator or a flight training device, an applicant for a certificate or rating issued under this part must furnish:

(1) An aircraft of U.S. registry for each required test that --

(i) Is of the category, class, and type, if applicable, for which the applicant is applying for a certificate or rating; and

(ii) Has a current standard, limited, or primary airworthiness certificate.

(2) At the discretion of the examiner who administers the practical test, the applicant may furnish --

(i) An aircraft that has a current airworthiness certificate other than standard, limited, or primary, but that otherwise meets the requirement of paragraph (a)(1) of this section;

(ii) An aircraft of the same category, class, and type, if applicable, of foreign registry that is properly certificated by the country of registry; or
etc, etc, etc...:ok: :ok:

V1 Rotate
29th Sep 2003, 19:14
B Sousa,

Sorry mate, can't answer you on that. I've always done all my stuff in the States.
One of the problems these days is that the goal posts regarding verification and background checks are moving all the time.
It is best to have a good working relationship with an FAA FSDO.

V1 Rotate

B Sousa
30th Sep 2003, 04:24
Thanks C4, but dont detonate on me as it also says "at the discretion of the examiner " When dealing with the F, A, and A that can be a loaded question today....
For the most part, im sure if its in da book, it wont be a problem.... Im on da phone right now to get one of maybe fifty opinions as to "on foreign soil".

AAND they said. If you have the FAA Designated Examiner and he is authorized to issue an ATP. He can do it in Timbuctu if he wants too......So I must have been dreaming.....should be the end of this rambling......

C4
30th Sep 2003, 05:24
Bert,

I agree with you.... But when it is "bucks in the pocket" at his discretion is POWER..
Smiles
C4