View Full Version : Spinny thing?

Controller to be!!!
14th Aug 2001, 04:51
Hello All,

This may be a weird question but I guessed this would be the best place to post.

In a jet engine what is the correct techincal name for the cone that spins in the middle or the turbine?

Thanks a lot

CTB!!! :)

14th Aug 2001, 05:40

Kermit 180
14th Aug 2001, 09:42
Does the 'spinner' hold anything together, is it for aerodynamic (airflow into the blades) reasons, or is it cosmetic (like a spinner over a CSU hub on a piston aeroplane)? Just interested to know what, if anything, it achieves.

Kermie http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/stuka2.gif

[ 14 August 2001: Message edited by: Kermit 180 ]

14th Aug 2001, 19:23

As far as I am aware, it's mostly an aerodynamic thing although it may also cover the fasteners holding the fan-hub to the shaft, depending on how the engine manufacturer built the thing in the first place.

14th Aug 2001, 20:49
Also known in some circles as a 'rotating fairing'. On most RR engines the spinner is protected against ice build up by a solid rubber tip which vibrates naturally to break up and dislodge ice immediately it starts to form.

14th Aug 2001, 23:39
Huh! And I always thought that rubber thingy was to make it softer to the body parts on impact... ;)

15th Aug 2001, 15:35
Kermie - the spinner on some piston installations can be very important for providing proper cooling airflow through the intakes. Similarly on a jet the spinner smoothes the intake airflow.


Kermit 180
17th Aug 2001, 14:01
Thanks for enlightening me guys.

Kermie http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft/stuka2.gif