PDA

View Full Version : BA Emergency Landing at Gatwick - 22nd Sept

mac_scott
23rd Sep 2003, 17:09
Anyone got any info on the Emergency landing at Gatwick yesterday AM (22nd Sept, around 10:00 AM).

I was inbound on the BA2903 from Manchester and we did a couple of "orbit left" somewhere before turning on to finals.

FO came on the speaker and told us this was due to an plane behind us that had a fire on board and had to do an emergency landing. Later told that the aircraft had not cleared the runway. Then 5 mins later that the runway was clear.

On landing I could see a BA 737 at the far end of the parallel taxiway with fire trucks but no smoke/fire. On the taxi in we were told by the Captain that the emergency plane had landed OK all on board were safe. I was told in the arrivals that it was the BA flight from Pisa?

Sounds like everything worked like clockwork and a good job was done by all on-board and on the ground :D

Mac

FlyboyBen
23rd Sep 2003, 19:38
Sounds like you've got all the info you need. What else do you want???

mac_scott
23rd Sep 2003, 19:55
Just interested Flyboyben.

I do a lot of business miles and this is the first time I've been held for an emergency landing....

So naturally curious as to what happened, etc....

SilentHandover
24th Sep 2003, 00:14
The information you have seems to cover the situation totally, aircraft got airbourne from Gatwick going to Pisa, returned with a smell of burning in the cockpit. The aircraft made what looked like a perfect landing, called vacating, and stopped at the junction of the Northern runway and J. Runway remained closed in case of an emergency disembarkation. Runway was reopened as soon as we knew that the situation on board was under control.

To confirm it was a 737-400.

Edited to add a/c type.

hobie
24th Sep 2003, 03:32
it would be interesting to know the model of the 737 and nature of the problem .... we all learn from others misfortunes and in that way may avoid a similar problem in the future .... its just the way it works .....

cheers .... hobie ....

mac_scott
24th Sep 2003, 03:35
Silenthandover

Thanks for the info. All seemed to be very professionally handled from where I was, both on my flight and as we passed on the ground.

BAe 146-100
24th Sep 2003, 03:42
Hi,

it would be interesting to know the model of the 737

A 737-400 normally operates this service.

BAe 146-100

hobie
25th Sep 2003, 02:00
thanks 146 .... cheers ... hobie

TINBASHER99
25th Sep 2003, 03:08
I belive the aircraft was G-DOCT 737-436. Burning smell in aircraft reported.
Had just had both heat exchangers replaced on maintenance input. These could cause burning smell if debris/dust gets hot (as they do) Not a lot more info yet.

BAe 146-100
25th Sep 2003, 03:28
Photos of aircraft doing normal things can be posted on Airliners.net Thanks

I'm not joking sir
25th Sep 2003, 20:17
What made it more sporting for us was that we'd just had an XLA div back with engine probs making it our 2nd F/E in 10 mins! Almost identical set of circumstances to those a few weeks back - Spooky!:eek:

mac_scott
25th Sep 2003, 21:12
2 in 10 mins - must be some sort of record.

Amazing thing from my point of view given this is my flight only ended up 20 mins late (by my watch)!

Top marks on what must have been a busy (if interesting) morning!

Mac.

PS: Did the fire guys get time to park up or did they just go from one call too the next :-)

I'm not joking sir
26th Sep 2003, 03:36
From one to the other - no volleyball that morning!!:) :)

Whalerider
26th Sep 2003, 06:04
There was also a third emergency less than an hour later - morning shifts like that we can do without - phew ! :eek: :eek: