PDA

View Full Version : Kemble - Red Arrow Pilots Info

Scare Hawk Pilot
23rd Sep 2003, 02:46
Having visited Kemble on numerous occasions, I've become interested in to the history of the Airfield.
I new that the Red Arrows were based there for a fair while. But I was saddened to hear that during a period 1969 to 1978 no fewer than 7 Pilots died as a result of crashes at Kemble!
A sad statistic - but I would like to know some info on the guys themselves, did anyone out there know them?

I have managed to get their names -
F/Lt's Jeremy Bowler, John Haddock, Colin Armstrong, Ewan Perreaux, John Lewis and W/Cmdr Dennis Hazell AFC

hjc
25th Sep 2003, 14:20
Not wishing to doubt you but I am very surprised at the number of fatalities you describe over that period, not least because I can only find details of one fatal crash at Kemble in that time scale:

3rd March 1978 Gnat T1 XR981 (both crew killed while performing aerobatics).

HJC

Aha. Make that two:

XR573 of the CFS (which is why I didn't pick it up first time) crashed on 26/3/69 having hit a tree. Pilot killed. That one was on loan to the Reds.

HJC

Aha. Make that two:

XR573 of the CFS (which is why I didn't pick it up first time) crashed on 26/3/69 having hit a tree. Pilot killed. That one was on loan to the Reds.

HJC

Indeed I have now found the other crash and that does make 7 fatalities, as you say:
20/1/71 XR545 and XR986 collided during practice as Synchro pair. All four crew killed.

Hopefully the dates of these incidents might at least help in your quest. Sorry for the multiple replies.

I sit corrected!

HJC

teeteringhead
25th Sep 2003, 17:12
Johnnie Haddock and John Lewis were the two pilots killed in the midair. Both had been QFIs at Syerston when I was training there in '68/'69. Don't think I flew with Haddock (must try and find Vol 1 of Logbook!), but I did fly one trip with Lewis - the high level dual famil - up to FL380 unpressurised! Before QFIing he had done an exchange with the FAA, on Vixens I think.

Strangely I remember the pre-flight walkround ... John Lewis recommended stroking and talking to the jet "just like you would a horse or a sports car". And I have done ever since. And then there was the aileron roll in the climbing lane........

Happy days.:D :D

alexis_lambert
25th Sep 2003, 18:05
Even though not alot has been mentioned about it, on sunday 28th Delta Jets are having an open day at Kemble. At the past open days they have held a Red Arrows reunion for ex-Kemble members of the team. I haven't met any pilots there yet but a few groundcrew usually turn up.

Scare Hawk Pilot
3rd Oct 2003, 03:41
Thanks guys, especially Teeteringhead, for your replies!