PDA

View Full Version : Catalina

High Altitude
22nd Sep 2003, 06:40
What a fine looking bit of aviation history.

Painted red & white. Currently sitting in front of Pearl for all pax to see as we taxi out. Oh and great view from my office to Boomerang...

HA.

p.s. Anyone know the history of this fine aviating machine?

Torres
22nd Sep 2003, 13:58
HA. What registration? Didn't think there were any left on the Oz register.

High Altitude
22nd Sep 2003, 14:20
I would have to get out of my chair to see the rego...

Will watch the news tonite as it will be on CH9.

Pseudonymn
22nd Sep 2003, 16:33
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/09/10/1063191457691.html
No longer a flight of fancy for the big Cat

By John Huxley
September 11, 2003

'After a series of bureaucratic delays, border crises, monsoonal storms and mechanical problems that forced crew to make an emergency landing at a remote airstrip in France, a historic Catalina flying boat has finally started its sentimental flight to Sydney.

'Despite a last-minute delay to replace corroded nose-wheel bearings, the patched-up plane left Arcachon in France on Monday afternoon. After stops in Italy and Greece, it is now heading towards the Middle East on the most circuitous section of its 20,000 kilometre trip.

'Captain Bruce Simpson, a Sydney-based Qantas pilot, and his four crew including co-pilot Donna Porter, plan to fly the plane in a series of 12 hops - the longest lasting 10 hours - through the Middle East, India and South-East Asia before a scheduled arrival in Darwin on September 22.

'It is hoped to over-fly Sydney before the end of the month, though original plans to put down on Rose Bay, just as Catalinas did in the past, have been abandoned because of damage to the undercarriage from the plane's emergency landing last year.

'"We still have to run the gauntlet of the weather, but the important thing is that after all the problems we are on the way," Bob De La Hunty, president of the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS), said. "We're now keeping our fingers crossed."

'HARS is joint organiser - with the Seaplane Pilots Association - of the Catalina Project which paid $700,000 for the 58-year-old plane after a four-year, worldwide search for a suitable model. It had been used as a water bomber in Portugal.

'Organisers feared after last year's mishap that the plane, call-sign CAT VH-PBZ, would have to be dismantled and shipped back to Australia in crates. But several months of repairs in Arcachon have made it air-worthy - if not sea-worthy - again.

'"The Cats are part of the nation's aviation heritage," said Mr De La Hunty, who with Phil Dulhunty, of the pilots association, has been a driving force behind the plan to bring back to Australia what will be the only working model of the nostalgic plane.

'"They played a vital role, both in peacetime and in war, and are fondly remembered by anyone who saw them on Rose Bay or served with the 'Black Cats' at Rathmines [Lake Macquarie]. Now, future generations will be able to experience the thrill of seeing them fly again."

'The Catalina will land at Albion Park, near Wollongong, where it will undergo further restoration before joining the rest of the HARS collection there.'

Sounds like she is on schedule, then. :ok:

Next stop for Black Cat is Coffs, with short hop to go
By John Huxley
September 22, 2003

http://www.smh.com.au/ffxImage/urlpicture_id_1064082867923_2003/09/21/news-catalina.jpg

It still needs to be painted the correct colour, but the Black Cat has finally landed. About 8.30 last night, Catalina flying boat CAT VHPBZ touched down at Darwin Airport after an arduous, adventure-filled 13-day flight from France.

The arrival in Australia of the historic, 60-year-old Catalina is the culmination of several years' planning by local aircraft enthusiasts, who were determined to bring home a fully operational version of a plane that played a crucial role in the nation's civil and military aviation history.

A worldwide search resulted in the $700,000 purchase last year of the plane, which was being used as a water-bomber fighting fires in Portugal.

When the plane was damaged while making an emergency landing at a remote French airfield due to hydraulic problems during a test flight, Catalina Project organisers feared it might have to be dismantled and shipped home in boxes. Fortunately, a team of engineers were able to make the plane airworthy for its 20,000kilometre "ferry flight" to Australia, which began two weeks ago.

Yesterday's leg began in Bali.

"It's been a real adventure," Bob De la Hunty, president of the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS), said last night.

"In India, the problem was paperwork. In the Middle East, it was the need to avoid high-risk airspace. In Thailand, it was searching out the right fuel and waiting for a new radio to be installed."

The plane and crew, under the command of Bruce Simpson, are due to continue south to Coffs Harbour tomorrow.

Plans for the Catalina to land at Rose Bay, where the flying boats were once a familiar sight, had to be abandoned because it is not seaworthy. However, it will fly over the old Catalina base at Rathmines, on Lake Macquarie.

The Black Cat is expected to reach its final destination, Albion Park, near Wollongong, later this week. It will join the HARS collection of historic aircraft.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/09/21/1064082870467.html

ITCZ
23rd Sep 2003, 08:11
coey Donna Porter -- of AirNorth, 1994-1996?

scramjet
23rd Sep 2003, 17:46
This Catilina landed in Cairns just after 1600 today. Likes fantastic

assymetric
23rd Sep 2003, 18:05
I believe it is from SPAIN and will be based at the museum in Wollongong next to the Connie.

criticalmass
23rd Sep 2003, 20:24
Every time I take off at YWOL I get a really good view of the HARS collection and I'm looking forward to seeing the Catalina join the venerable "heavy metal" at Albion Park. Rock on!

(Just sorry I probably won't be flying the day it will most likely arrive...I hate that!)

Feather #3
24th Sep 2003, 07:43
Assymetric ,

It's from Portugal in this life. However, being Chilean registered created yet another HARS hurdle to cross; transferring a Chilean registered a/c, located in Portugal, to the Oz register. Happily now VH-PBZ [unless a Ppruner can persuade the holder of -PBY to swap??:hmm: ]

C/mass ,

Be around Sunday pm when 'the fleet' returns from CH.

G'day ;)

pithblot
24th Sep 2003, 10:26
gottom 2 dollar

Hey bloke,

I don't know the girl in question but your words are so brave that I think you should at least put your name to them.

Give us the benefit of knowing who you are, you hero. You sound like the sort of whinging wimp who would slap a woman.

Your profile says that you are a pilot/engineer. Struth I hope not.

bush mechanics
24th Sep 2003, 14:32
Pithblot you have no Idea!!Soo maybe you should stop the old gums from flappin.I do know this girl.Her sort gives lots of other lady pilots a bad name.Ive had the pleasure of working with a few chick pilots and some of them would run rings around some guys,Probaly you!!Wimp!!I dont think soo .one day we could meet and you never know.Finally ,slaping women I dont think soo mate.By the way what is the type !!!

Disco Stu
24th Sep 2003, 19:29
Was tinkering with GG's car (the roller skate on steroids) this afternoon when I heard a soft burbling sound. To my pleasure the Cat flew over me on her way south.

Thanks.

Disco Stu

imabell
25th Sep 2003, 05:54
up in the sky...... it's a bird!!!, it's a plane!!!, no, it's a cat.

overhead maroochy, wednesday afternoon. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

i had the pleasure in my younger days of tooling around the carribean sea with my father in a cat, (and a sandringham), island to island, sitting in the blister watching the world go by, laying in the sun on top of the wing in the lagoon at st john. then drinking lots of cruzian rum. i had a really gooooood time.

rum, women and airplanes that took off from the sea. is their anything else???

bigmuzb
25th Sep 2003, 08:32
G'day

She is in Coffs Harbour for the weekend, for the Coffs Aero clubs' birthday bash.

The local paper said that Connie is coming as well, guess we'll have to wait and see if that happens. Hope so; if two radials are good then four are great!

Arrived at 4pm yesterday, much quiter than I had expected, but somehow slow and graceful. Well done to the HARS people for making it happen.

Cheers
Muz

Feather #3
29th Sep 2003, 09:01
Apologies for the no-show yesterday; carby trouble. Hope to get away Saturday next. Better stuck in Coff's than Calcutta!!

Thanks to SY ATC for expediting Connie's substitution at the Rose Bay celebrations [and the 'scenic' chap at Long Reef awaiting a CLNC who let us through!:) ]

G'day ;)

Bendo
4th Oct 2003, 22:43
Rumour has it (via Craig P Justo, purveyor of fine rumours) that the Cat will be in Scone on Sunday Morning on its way to WOL.

Herc H model due 1045

see you all here

BPW

Feather #3
5th Oct 2003, 05:25
Sorry, CH dct WOL.

Enjoy Scone!!:)

G'day

criticalmass
5th Oct 2003, 18:22
VH-PBZ arrived YWOL after attending the Nowra Family Day Sunday 5th October. Looked slow, sounded slow and was slow but what a distinctive shape and silhouette. Sounded like a quieter DC-3 - less engine noise and more "whistling" from the props. Lovely!

A welcome addition to the HARS collection and makes me glad to fly at YWOL.

Nice one guys! :D