PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started?

Spinningtop
22nd Sep 2003, 03:29
Hello,
I'm currently studying for my A2s (A Levels) and I am looking at pursuing a career as an aircraft maintenance engineer (particulary Helicopters as I have a deep interest in them), but I'm abit confused as to the best route into the industry.

Is it best to get a degree first?
Get an apprenticeship (do companies do apprenticeships)?

Where can I get more information on license (JAR66 etc)
What other options?

I'm studying Maths, Physics, Product design, general studies and doing an AS (half A Level) in Further Maths.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Spinningtop
23rd Sep 2003, 04:22
I have read other post on here but they all seem to relate to people who have started a degree etc and now are wondering if they need it when they could be getting experience 'on the job'. I'm trying to get a open idea before deciding on a specific route, someone must be able to help. I am seeing the careers advisor this week but I need some background knowledge before hand to make sure of the routes avialable so I can make suggestions if they are unclear on anything.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Sep 2003, 05:22
It's not my normal area of Engineering, so I'm reluctant to give specific advice - there are many here far better qualified to than me. But, whilst waiting for them, take a look at the various careers information on the website of the RAeS at www.raes.org.uk which may be helpful.

G

Spinningtop
23rd Sep 2003, 21:17
Thanks Genghis the engineer!!
The careers section helped me get ideas of the routes in to the industry but they all seem to be from a theoretical background, whereas on here I hoped to get a more practical basis )i.e personal experience, engineer etc)

thanks for the reply.

JAFCon
25th Sep 2003, 01:08
Trythe following web Site its for AST Perth

www.airservicetraining.co.uk

Spinningtop
25th Sep 2003, 04:39
Thanks for the link JAFcon.

avoman
25th Sep 2003, 17:29
Look at City of Bristol College for its JAR 66 B1/B2 cours(es)