PDA

View Full Version : PPL flying in Zambia

Irishwingz
21st Sep 2003, 21:39
Anybody tell me whats the situation if I wanted to rent a single in Vic falls (Zambia) and flyit around for a few days - Lusaka/Livingstone etc? This would be on an SA PPL.

Are there clubs in Vic falls, is there much red tape?

Appreciate any guidance!

Flying Bean
22nd Sep 2003, 02:25
You mean Livingstone in Zambia. Vic Falls is in Zimbabwe.
Nothing in Livingstone.
Long shot, but you could try talking to Bert Grove at Staravia in Lusaka. (I think it is [email protected]). The Flying Club is long gone but I think Bert has some contacts with the smaller singles still around.
Getting a RSA PPL validated takes a couple of days, no real hassle.
It might be worth while trying the flying club at Harare, but I think the fuel situation is now pretty bad. Have these numbers but I dont know if they are still valid (09 2634 308063 308139).
We steer clear of Zim most of the time now. Even overflight is a hassle.
Good Luck:uhoh:

George Tower
22nd Sep 2003, 06:54
Irishwingz

If you're going to be flying around that part of the world all I can say is that I'm a tad envious. Have you perhaps thought about hiring an a/c from jo'burg or Pretoria - that way there's no need to mess about with the licencing issues etc.

There used to be a flying club at Bulawayo but given the situation in Zim I'm not sure what the current state of affairs is with them. (Bulawayo Flying Club Tel: +263 9 70186).

There is a website dedicated to GA is South Africa (www.aeropages.co.za) which has some good links on it as well as a forum such as this. The only problem is that it doesn't see, to be working at the moment so perhaps try in a few days.

Best of luck & hope your plans come right.

GT

Irishwingz
24th Sep 2003, 23:36
George/Bean

Hows it?

Thanks, wasnt really planning on going into Zim at all, Though I still think that Vic falls are also in Zambia (its a border right?) The contacts are good so I may call Bert in Lusaka. I am an avid reader of aeropages so I may drop a message into there.

On a side note your Castle Milk Stout is lovely (and strong!) and I've been enjoying SA immensley since I got here!

Flying Bean
25th Sep 2003, 03:32
Yes. As a Zambian Operator I think George has the best idea. Hire an aircraft from RSA and go from there. But get one of the Professional Companies in RSA to get your clearances. Whoever you hire from will give you the contacts. You will also need extra excess insurance.
Steer clear of Zim, mainly due to the fuel problem.
Yes you are right on your geography.
Vic Falls Town is in Zim. Livingstone in Zambia, but the actual Victoria Falls links the two towns with a spectacular bridge,border post linking the two.