PDA

View Full Version : Skytrans recriutment

spottyface
21st Sep 2003, 10:55
:ok: I have just recently got my CPL and have hit the highway to get a job.

My instructors and other people in the industry had geared me not to read to much into arragance and people laughing at my 250 hours when applying for a job ( GOOD ADVISE ).

I dropped through Cairns and most operators did not want to know me, I just got "leave your resume" and no feedback at all if i was suitable to join there operation.

I went to Skytrans who i now know that i am way below there requirements and the guy in recruitment who had just signed off an early start was available and spent almost an hour with me, as is i was going to get a job there.

They seem a very professional outfit, I was told to write a letter and keep them informed of my career, they even took my resume and told me they would speak to other operators on the airport for me.

Does anyone know what they are like to work for ??? they seem like a nice crew and company!!!!

404 Titan
21st Sep 2003, 18:47
spottyface

Skytrans are a very professional outfit. When I last spoke to a mate of mine there, they had 20 odd pilots and a similar number of aircraft. All multi engine piston and turbine. New starts there are based in the Straits on a roster of two weeks on Horn Island and two weeks working in Cairns until you move up the seniority list and a full time base comes up in Cairns. They will work you hard doing both RPT and charter. You will be expected to pull your weight and be a team player. Oh and there is also a gentleman’s agreement when you join that you will stay at least 12 months. The only exception to this I believe is if you land a job at Qantas, Virgin Blue or Cathay.
:)

spottyface
21st Sep 2003, 18:59
Thanks 404,

they seem to be something right, it makes me want to work in an organisation like that.

The recruitment dude said at last count they are at 27 pilots and the conditions are above the award.

there aircraft looked brand new.

404 Titan
21st Sep 2003, 19:07
spottyface
there aircraft looked brand new.
No they’re not brand new unfortunately. In some cases, far from it. They are just very well maintained.
:)

spottyface
21st Sep 2003, 19:45
I thought of it from a passengers perception, seeing some of the aircraft down here that people get on.

It looks really really good.

Is the 404 nice to fly ????? i have a mate who is now at flight levels but said the 404 was the best piston aircraft to fly and very stable for what it is.:ok:

404 Titan
21st Sep 2003, 21:50
spottyface

It has been a number of years as well since I last flew a C404. They were a very simple and delightful aircraft to fly. The only thing you had to be careful with was engine handling with the GTSIO-520. No negative torque on the prop or you could destroy the gearbox. Also you had to baby the nose wheel assembly on the ground due to it being fragile if in the wrong hands. All in all it was a big pussycat.
;)

o1genesis
22nd Sep 2003, 01:51
The 404.............

Fast?.................Not really.
Endurance?............Pretty damn good.
Engines?.............Better take care of 'em
Landing.............How can you get it wrong?

Gotta love trailing link!
:D
Definately one of cessna's better inventions. Go the GTSIO! Go the trailing link. C404 has to be one of the better aircraft invented in its time. Why else would they call it a Titan?

nomorecatering
22nd Sep 2003, 14:43
Does anyone know their experiance requirements. is it the usual 1500 TT with 500 ME??

Torres
22nd Sep 2003, 15:17
But how much better the C404 would have been with IO720's. :ok:

Queentual
23rd Sep 2003, 00:52
Yep, worked for Skytrans during the mid 90's and they are a great outfit. Back then, no pressure to do anything outside the rules as they employed a full time admin girl who rostered you within the duty limits. The Regional airlines regard Skytrans Pilots highly, and like me, the next job from there was a four engined jet with CX. This is all too comman with Skytrans due to the proffessionalism and experience you gain from them. Oh, and the excellence of the then Chief Pilot Rob A.

Bagot_Community_Locator
23rd Sep 2003, 07:10
And where is Rob these days ?

Is the one he was in Darwin and flew for Kakadu Air ?

spottyface
23rd Sep 2003, 07:43
folks,

just having a look at the information given to me from there recruitment guy. Rob is still the chief pilot pilot which adds up to what you said "queentual" it was said to me that the best thing about working there was the stringent pressure to obey the rules and no politics allowed at all.

They said to me as you have anyone who leaves there goes onto bigger and better things.

I reccomend having a look at there website skytans.com.au it shows you everything also if you are in the area drop in no matter what your hours the guys where really helpful.:)

slice
23rd Sep 2003, 09:36
Bagot - Not bloody likely!!:} :}

wb727d
23rd Sep 2003, 13:09
skytrans requires
2000 total
400 multi
50 night
3 renewals

applications through staffcv

spottyface
23rd Sep 2003, 13:28
Thats the requirements.

I suppose if you have got the hours they would put polish on them.

if anyone wants the recruitment guys names, i will list them. "Not sure if this is against the rules but only new to the industry". I here they are going to be interviewing again soon.

I was told they have 4 dudes awaiting start with QF in easter next year.

from what i saw "if you have the time get in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Spotty. Let's keep personal names out of the discussion, please.

W

spottyface
25th Sep 2003, 21:03
No worries thats the rules,

Does anybody have any experience with there interviews or have any friends that have.

Would be good to know????????????????????????????????:ok:

23 Metros In a Row
25th Sep 2003, 21:50
only rule for an interview is be prepared BUT BE YOURSELF, cause thats who they are employing.

Far Q
28th Sep 2003, 06:15
:E Spotty face I have to let you know that if you get a job with Skytran that you will work hard but you will be working with a great bunch of people! I was lucky enough to have worked with skytrans for almost 3 years and it was the best ga job I ever had.
I was looked after really well and they always appreciated the hard work that we all put in! I cant recommend them highly enough. Get out there and build those hours and keep in touch with. Good luck. :cool: :ok:

spottyface
2nd Oct 2003, 16:19
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For all your replies, its good to know that there are some companies doing it right.

Maybe my time will come to work for them but from what i saw it would be a great experience.

if anyone gets an interview or employment with them could you kindly let us know what goes on.

Mainframe
2nd Oct 2003, 19:33
Spotty

Mate, you would probably have been treated right at the big 4 in Cairns, and the Victorian operator up there as well.

As I have posted before, Cairns is NOT where you start, it's where you cap off your GA Career before going to the big fella's.

You need to go North west or North, Kunnunurra, Wyndham, Broome, Darwin, Arnhemland, Qld Northwest and Gulf, build your hours to get to work for the big 4 in the Torres Straits ( The Cairns Big 4).

The Straits will give you some of the best flying you can get in Oz, and Cairns, without any doubt what so ever will be the best possible place in Australia to live and work in GA.

Great flying, Great companies,
( yes, they all pay the award or above)
and Cairns not only has Macka 's, KFC and Pizza Hut, but Myer and everything else the big cities have, and for the southerners, cheap Qantas or Virgin fares home coz its a tourist destination.

However, as the nice man probably told you, you need 2,000hrs total and 500 / 750 multi to be considered for a start in Cairns, your last GA job and your best.

Dont give up, go fly the Bungles, or Numbulwar, or Elcho Island, or for Kakadu Bob, get your hours, then make a serious try for Cairns when you meet the minimums.

And tell the school that sold you the dream how it really works, NO Multi anywhere till you have 1,000 hrs, and no Cairns till you have 2,000 hrs and 500 multi, because they dont tell you that, they just want to clean out your bank account and B/S you about your prospects.

It's a tough game, but it's worth it if you get lucky, make the effort, be professional and put up with some poverty , tough times and great times.

Just Don't give up.

Visualise the dream and make it happen.

Keep smiling, keep trying and good luck, you'll get there !

slice
3rd Oct 2003, 15:45
Mainframe - did you work for Kaka Bob? If so when?

We may have crossed paths.:E

DustySlim
3rd Oct 2003, 17:05
I worked for skytrans in the late 90's, I now fly shiny orange jets in europe and I still reckon Skytrans was the best job I've had.
They are a very professional outfit and the flying was great. Yes you work hard, but hey, I have flown 105 hrs with my present company in the past 30 days and to this day skytrans is the only company I have worked for that have delivered what they promised at the interview. You would go a long way to find a nicer bunch of people to work for.
Dont expect to wonder in and land your first job there though. As they say you have to eat a bit of sh*t before you get to the gravy!:ok:

spottyface
11th Oct 2003, 13:22
again thankyou for all your replies, I do really appreciate all your comments.

MAINFRAME thanks it would be nice to live the dream one day, and to enjoy the road there as well.

I have just been reading about pilots being stood down outa YSSY. Already i can see that once you have the hours to progress you are then faced with the situation of GOOD GEAR verses STABLE COMPANY.

I was in the position not long ago ( OUTSIDE OF AVIATION ) with a company having to down size and persuing legalities about dismissal.

My thoughts go to the guys in YSSY.

But the reaction from this post has been positive, start applying there you never know.