PDA

View Full Version : How tuff is Aero BEng

McCroskey
21st Sep 2003, 00:00
Just a quick question.

I'm a pilot really but I've decided to get a degree as a back up and aero engineering had always interested me and I somehow managed to convince the Uni to give me a place but the problem is my A levels were 8 years ago and I know I'm not too sharp or up to speed on my maths. How difficult and demanding is a aero degree and do you think that I'm committing academic suicide.

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Sep 2003, 06:10
Yes!

Mine was about a 50 hour week for three years, and quite a few late nights brushing up my maths in the first year. Virtually everybody needs remedial maths - even those who (like me) had fairly recently left school/college with very good grades.

Not academic suicide - but it'll be a big challenge. Best of Luck.

If you want to be prepared for this, I'd suggest going to a good University bookshop (or Amazon) and buying a good "Engineering Mathematics" textbook and starting to work through it well before you start if you can. There are many, and most of them are good, but if you want a recommendation try Engineering Mathematics, by Stroud (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0333919394/qid=1064216320/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/202-4970909-5310208) , which I've personally found very good when brushing up on something important but rarely used like second order differential equations or complex integrals.

G

McCroskey
23rd Sep 2003, 18:29
Many thanks Genghis, I've just bought a copy of Engineering Maths by Stroud, its what the Uni recommends too.
Looks like I'll be burning the midnight oil for a while then.:(