PDA

View Full Version : Money, money, money

Steve76
20th Sep 2003, 22:05
Since reading the NZ CFIT report I go to thinking about how much we all get paid for the stuff we have to do.

Does anyone know what the wages are like in NZ and OZ currently for EMS/SAR pilots? What would that lady have been earning?

To kick things off:

Working EMS in Ontario Canada on twin, IFR op's with plenty of NVFR and IFR the starting wages are $35-38K for a cojoe and $59 - 60 for a Captain.
I think the upper level (more company time...) for cojoe is about $49 and the captain is $70 ish...
Work is pretty much 2 days, 2 nights and 4 off. Holidays are two weeks a year and we get health and pension assistance (although we pay a token amount each month...) Taxation is a bastard at about 50% for Captain.

I really should know but I never pay that much attention:rolleyes:

How does this compare to the rest of the planet? :\

Watchoutbelow
20th Sep 2003, 23:21
$18 an hour for CFI,
Work is 7 days a week, only a couple of hours a day if lucky,
You would be doing well to get a holiday,
Upper level is around $20 per hour.
No pension, No Health Insurance, No Bonus.
Must pay for all essentails, Uniform, Headset etc.

High Nr
21st Sep 2003, 06:37
EMS/SAR crews are normally full time salaried people therefore the annual salary is more relevant.

Due a fairly strict seniority system within most major operators, the salary can vary considerably for the same task.....eg, two Captains working at the same base can vary by A$10K or so, based soley on their employment period with that operator.

In round figures:

A Captain with ATPL, IR, with 10 years plus with the operator will be somewhere around A$70 - 80K.

- Home every night
- OZ has a good National Medical System [even thou the politicians try and screw it]
- The employer must take out insurnace [pension] and the employee can add to this amount at the pretax stage...good system.
- Little work with good machines - fairly boring lifestyle.
- Normally good weather [normally].

The only other section of the Oz Industry [legal] that pays more is either touring to places like Timor [CHC] or Offshore [CHC and Bristow]....once again, depending on who you are, that can be somwhere A$90 - 105K, which includes all the extra allowances to compensate for the negative aspects of touring.
Tours are normally 2 weeks On / 2 weeks Off.

Captain Lai Hai
21st Sep 2003, 16:30
What about single pilot day VFR ,home every night, very good maintanance on SA315B AS355N and H500ER stay at home on standby if there is no bookings on rosterd days on and a straight boss.
AUD $ 130K per annum minimum,in the hand,at current exchange rates.

Old Man Rotor
27th Sep 2003, 22:34
Yes....but you have to live in Hong Kong!!!!!