PDA

View Full Version : 402 skid at delara

Dj Dave
20th Sep 2003, 20:46
Anyone got any info behind the Hardy 402 that skidded past the fence at Delara (bulman) N.T. last thursday arvo??

i go there my self, not the easiest strip, esp with 800 metres, is that enough for a takeoff in a 402 loaded ? (don't know their performance)

If that was an abort due tu engine problems then it looks like the pilot did i good job at not hitting the treeline 70 metres past where the aircraft is lying.

Hope everyone got out unhurt.

WhiteRat Wannabe
21st Sep 2003, 19:40
DJ Dave,

800m is enough for both a c and b model, but without looking in the AFM i would say definately not for a fully loaded one. Especially the B, chews up a bit of runway.

Cheers
WRW

compressor stall
22nd Sep 2003, 13:41
It might be enough to get to a 50 foot height according to the AFM, but that does not mean that it's enought to keep accelerating and climbing with the loss of one engine.

Better off the end of the strip into the scenery at 20 knots than upside down into the ground at Vmca 2nm away, or level into the tops of the trees just above the stall 5 nm away.

Don't have the AFM handy, but I seem to remember that 800m meant about 2600kg MTOW. And then it was scary with trees at the end. For the clinic run we used to do we'd limit the pax/weight on board - 4 pax min fuel.

I thought Delara/Bulman was 900odd? And is there still the gravel trap between the runway and the taxiway?

And is the dentist's chair in the back room of the clinic any more comfortable?

CS

P.S. WRW...why was my head so sore on Friday morning? :}

Dj Dave
22nd Sep 2003, 16:43
Last wet season we measured it to be at 800. it used to be 1000 metres before 2002, so our company charts showed.

They upgraded the clinic, new desks, chairs, paint, even new troopies ! It sheits all over the Ngukurr clinic now.

Dj Dave

compressor stall
23rd Sep 2003, 15:40
Ah..that makes sense! I didn't think my memory was that badly affected by the drink when I was in Katherine... :}

I actually found the best way to sleep in that dentists chair for 5 hours without feeling sore for a week afterwards! :ugh:

Used and Abused
23rd Sep 2003, 19:13
Was in there today.

Had a bit of a geez around. No sign of left wheel or leg (torn off maybe). Left wing locker was fairly knackered and the leading edge of the left elevator was fairly smashed up. Left engine and prop already removed.

Don't know what caused it. Looks as if the left wheel/leg was ripped off and hit the elevator and the aircraft was rested or skidded on the rear of the locker.

bush mechanics
23rd Sep 2003, 19:31
I was told it hit a ant hill.They are replaceing the wing.

thinking pilot
24th Sep 2003, 06:29
Has the pilot lost his job like many in the past.

Fission
25th Sep 2003, 12:02
Hear that he has been shown the door - good luck for the next job.

Though after that I think that Q will be hunting him down !!

Fizzy

slice
25th Sep 2003, 18:26
Fission - check your PMs;)