PDA

View Full Version : display flying

hairyclameater
19th Sep 2003, 06:28
Dear All

My first posting and I'm already asking for something for nothing!!

I am researching the noble art of display flying during the groovy 1970s.

I'm sure there are a few still sprightly 50 and 60 somethings(!) that can recall throwing around anything from a Chipmunk to a Belfast or a Gnat to a Vulcan. I really am interested in noting the actual sequences flown for each type - something I know that may well be lost in the ether now, but any small glimmer of that brilliantly timed, exquisitely executed and QFI adoring display would be great!

This goes out to any non UK bods- Starfighter shakers, F5 4 point rollers, Mirage manouverers etc etc- the more the merrier.

can give email address if rqd if you've got lots to say
:D

Zlin526
19th Sep 2003, 06:45
Hairy Clam Muncher,

Might I suggest you also post this on both the Private flying & Aviation Nostalgia forums. Military pilots are not the only 'aces' who get to fly air displays these days; indeed, if it wasnt for civilian air displays, the military wouldnt get to fly in many!:yuk:

Zzzzzzzzzzzlin 526

tonybliar
20th Sep 2003, 00:36
if it wasnt for civilian air displays, the military wouldnt get to fly in many!

Now there is a sure indication of an over-stretched military that cannot find time to show off.

alexis_lambert
22nd Sep 2003, 15:19
Wish i could have been around to witness the 70's. I would have loved to have witnessed Ormond Haydon-Bailiie.

The only pilots i know of who might give a good story or two are Ray Hanna, Stephen Grey, Brian Smith, James Black and Tony Bianchi to name a few but then i don't think any of those look here. John Farley does come on here though and he might be able to give some help.

John Farley
24th Sep 2003, 00:13
Depending on how serious you are and how much you can justify your research, try the SBAC.

Before an aircraft can fly at the Farnborough air display (today and yesterday) a written description of all aspects of the proposed sequence has to be lodged well in advance of the show period for use by the Flight Operations Committee. Most of the members of this committee then go on to act as the Flying Display Control Committee during the display period.

IF and it is clearly a big if, the SBAC archive this material you might get approval to look at it.

Ethel the Aardvark
25th Sep 2003, 23:34
Regarding flying displays, back in 87 i saw a great show in Wiltz south east Belgium. most countries contributed and I was at Luxembourg airport when the italian, french, british and even the portuguese displays teams showed up in preparation for the event. Very good Harrier and A10 fly past.
However I am at a total loss over the significance of Wiltz as a venue and wonder if anyone can shed some light on its history and is it still an ongoing show today.