PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Slim Dusty

Thread Bear
19th Sep 2003, 21:30
A true Australian legend left us today...

http://www.slimdusty.com.au/graphics/Slim2001.jpg

Redwings
19th Sep 2003, 21:40
It's sad to hear about his death. Even though I'm nearly 20, I was shocked to hear the news. I agree with you Thread Bear about him being a true Australian legend, but I don't think he'll leave us.

the wizard of auz
19th Sep 2003, 21:57
As far as I can remember back, slims been an ozzie icon. he will be sadly missed by most of us in the bush........ but will live forever in his music.
cya old mate. :sad:

Thread Bear
19th Sep 2003, 22:08
Yes, undoubtedly the King of Australian Country Music. His contribution will certainly live on.

I think it's great that he will be given a state funeral.

Kaptin M
20th Sep 2003, 03:35
Truly a Great Australian whose name must be known by probably every Australian for 2 or 3 generations.

As sad as it is that Slim has now left us, there seems (to me) to be something "fitting" that he and Johnny Cash should pass on within about a week of each other.
They both provided great C&W music in individual styles that made them outstandingly unique individuals.

AA SLF
20th Sep 2003, 14:04
Agree with ya Kaptin M - tis a sad, sad day for music lovers everywhere in the world . Both parties will be sadly missed. They ain't makin 'em like these folks anymore, I am feared to say ......:{

criticalmass
21st Sep 2003, 18:33
Australia has produced few truly great men but Slim stands head and shoulders above most. He shines like a lighthouse in a sea of mediocrity.

Slim was of the people, for the people and clearly identified himself with every genuine Australian. His music was universal and spoke to something deep inside each of us.

In his 66 years of music he achieved more to unite us than a thousand politicians passing a million pieces of legislation enacted into law for a geological age.

He will truly be missed, but as long as we can reproduce images and sound, his legacy will live on. Farewell, a truly great Australian. We might never see his like again.

OzExpat
22nd Sep 2003, 17:04
I really can't add anything to all that has been said so far. It's a fair measure of Slim Dusty's popularity and generational appeal that there's been so many great tributes to him on ths thread already. I grew up listening to his music and will always know it. I will remember him every time I hear one of his songs and he will live on that way for me.

RIP Slim Dusty and David Gordon Kirkpatrick.

Sperm Bank
23rd Sep 2003, 18:03
Word has it EMINEM is changing the words of his original mega hit "Slim Shady" to "Slim Dusty". The great man can now live in the minds of a whole new sub culture.

I think old Slim would see the funny side of that with the sense of humour he posessed.

Farewell digger!

Aileron Roll
24th Sep 2003, 18:08
Can anyone confirm that the man himself was actually born in New Zealand ?

DustySlim
25th Sep 2003, 16:56
Elvis may have been the king of rock and roll but Slim Dusty was definently the King of country music. He was Australia personified.
A very sad day.:(

Torres
26th Sep 2003, 13:57
Aileron Roll. Don't think so, mate!!!

"Born David Gordon Kirkpatrick on June 13, 1927 in his beloved Nulla Nulla outside of Kempsey, NSW, Slim took his "show name" in 1938 ahead of his first recording in 1943."