PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft washing

320DRIVER
27th Nov 2000, 15:33
Is external washing of aircraft a maintenance procedure, i.e. laid down in the AMM to be carried out by qualified personnel?

Genghis the Engineer
27th Nov 2000, 17:55
Surprisingly not, it is certainly a skilled job, but there's no specific qualifications for the job.

G

aviatorpk
27th Nov 2000, 21:07
A washed aircraft saves fuel.

320DRIVER
27th Nov 2000, 21:38
Wouldn't like too see a person without an aviation background directing a high-pressure water jet into the air data ports :)

spannersatcx
28th Nov 2000, 00:48
That's why all ports/probes etc are blanked first. Just got to make sure they all come off again after the wash!!

320DRIVER
28th Nov 2000, 02:27
That's exactly what I meant. If it were a maintenance procedure, I would guess that there would be a jobcard to prepare the aicraft before washing, and then to ensure that all blanks etc. are removed on completion.

spannersatcx
28th Nov 2000, 15:35
320Driver, there are or should be aircraft wash prep and post wash work cards that WILL be signed by an authorised/approved person. The actual task as such is normally carried out by companies with dedicated a/c wash teams, although they are not likely to be a/c mech/tech or eng. Depending on the type of wash it may neccessitate, landing gear and/or flying control re-lubrication.
Post wash card should include checking all the ports/probes etc.

Maint99
1st Dec 2000, 10:48
Amen to that, Spanners. At one company I worked for, the guys washing the a/c were the same guys cleaning the lunchroom. Knew about cleaning...knew $hit about aircraft!!

They washed one, one night, and decided to cover the static ports with masking tape, which when soaked becomes nearly invisible when on a titanium surface. They forgot to remove it, and it was missed on subsequent walk-arounds. At the time, there was no work card in force for washing the a/c. The a/c went flying with a full load of pax. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif F/O noticed no increase in indicated altitude, but noticed the trees were getting smaller!! Capt declared an emergency, a/c landed safely. Luckily, wx was cavok.

Just proves a point... NO-ONE should be allowed to do ANYTHING to an aircraft without the proper training. By the way, the company , at the stern insistance of Transport Canada, had a work card done up the next day!!
---------------------------------------------

"You want it on the gate for WHEN??"

Genghis the Engineer
1st Dec 2000, 13:23
It might be usefully reserved as a duty for badly behaved techs. Better still, as a duty for pilots who have transgressed.

I used to work next to an airfield fire station, where the chief fireman seemed to use washing the fire engines in that way to good effect.

G

Smurfjet
1st Dec 2000, 21:27
Jus one question from little planes flyer, how do you miss the static ports? I take lots of care to theck all my instruments probes!!

Regards

InitRef
1st Dec 2000, 23:02
Smurfjet - In relation to dangers highlighted above -
After washing an AeroPeru 757, workers did not remove adhesive tape that obstructed static ports. Occurred in 1996 near Lima, Peru. 70 people perished in that accident.

Not washing per se but improper or lack of procedures wrt ports, Birgenair 757 of Puerto Plata in Dominican Republic (c 1996) stalled due to incorrect airspeed warnings - subsequently causing the crew to ignore stall warnings. The probable cause of obstruction was surmised to be mud/debris from small insect(s) introduced to the pitot tube during the 20 days that the a/c was on the ground. The pitot-static system was not verified prior to re-introduction to service.

Smurfjet
2nd Dec 2000, 01:04
InitRef-

Maybe I wasen't clear :) I asked how can you miss to check the ports during the walkaround? I only do it on cessna and pipers, would like to hear from the bigger guys...

Luftwaffle
2nd Dec 2000, 01:31
Smurfjet, the static ports on a 757 are too high above the ground to be verified clear on a simple walkaround.

All day breakfast
2nd Dec 2000, 04:13
In the bad old days (sorry that's good!), I washed Pipers at the weekends in return for flying. It'll take years to wipe out that debt! I missed the static ports because I'd probably be flying the beauty the next day.

Fast Jet Wannabe
3rd Dec 2000, 03:33
KLMuk have by far the safest attitude to washing their aircraft - they just don't bother!

Speaking from a STN based point of view that is.

FJW.

lymanm
3rd Dec 2000, 13:09
Actually, there in the US, there IS a legal requirement to wash the aircraft prior to maitenance. When doing an annual or 100 HR FAR Part 43, Appendix D:

(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection shall, before
that inspection, remove or open all necessary inspection plates, access
doors, fairing, and cowling. He shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and
aircraft engine.

Now, I'm not sure how this translates into airline maintenance (part 121 ops)... Now, of course, whether this reg is put into practice is another issue altogether!!!!

Cheers

WenWe
5th Dec 2000, 05:50
Don't think I've seen any aircraft being washed with pitot/static ports covered at my base (this includes most independant & charter operators as well as Big Airways).
Lubrication is only needed post-washing if the L/G or slat/flap mechanisms have been cleaned, washing all the grease out.

Nightstop
5th Dec 2000, 13:21
FJW, KLMuk aircraft at ALL bases are washed regularly. However, the blue/white FK100 is more prone to soiling of the starboard vertical stabaliser than other aircraft in the fleet due to APU exhaust efflux. The yellow 146's and 737's look brilliant as the sun rises over deepest Essex, don't you think?

100LL
9th Dec 2000, 04:12
I don’t know whether its me but I think that you spot a whole lot more when you wash Aircraft especially when maintenance is being carried out.
I agree with Genghis “as a duty for pilots who have transgressed”.

“Remember Aircraft belong to the Engineers PILOTS ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO USE THEM IF THEY PROMISE TO BE Careful”

[This message has been edited by 100LL (edited 09 December 2000).]

Fast Jet Wannabe
14th Dec 2000, 03:10
Nightstop,

Yes I have to admit that the Buzz fleet really do look very smart and always clean in their yellow livery. My comment about the F100's was made very tongue-in-cheek.

Happy flying!

FJW.

Genghis the Engineer
14th Dec 2000, 19:00
Talking about my own puddlehopper here, rather than a grown up aeroplane, I always do a thorough visual before washing it. Dirt is a superb developer for the grease that secretes in fatigue cracks.

Once I've found a gearbox close to departing the aircraft, and on another occasion an intake filter bracket with a fatigue crack. Neither problem was easily visible on a clean aircraft.

G

Dr. Red
18th Dec 2000, 16:35
I remember hearing that aircraft should be coated in a thin film of Cod Liver oil after cleaning, for maximum efficiency (no sh*t, that's what I heard)

Any truth to this?

SchmiteGoBust
21st Dec 2000, 13:21
I must say Fast Jets comments about KLMuk rings a bit true. The ones at Manchester do appear to be grubbier than other airlines.It's probably the paint sceme showing it up more!!