PDA

View Full Version : Yeovilton Airshow 20 Sep

jockspice
18th Sep 2003, 17:45
Leading on from the Leuchars Airshow thread, has anyone any comments about the Yeovs show? Are you coming, what are you bringing, is it going to be a good day, what is the programme like etc etc. After comments would be good too.
I know the bloke who is putting the junglie assault at the end together and he hasn't had much sleep over the past three weeks, due to contractor snags, planning, clearences, replanning, late entries, planning again, cancellations and such! Isn't having a contractor in charge supposed to take all of the nause out of planning such an event?:{
Working day for us all day too - hope it doesn't rain!:cool:

Navaleye
18th Sep 2003, 20:29
If that's on then I'll be there.

Gainesy
18th Sep 2003, 20:53
Hi Jock,
Got any further details re entry price/ flyprog etc please?

Navaleye
18th Sep 2003, 21:04
It doesn't have a detailed schedule of events as yet.

snafu
19th Sep 2003, 03:33
Only that 0730 is a bloody early turn-to!

jockspice
19th Sep 2003, 14:40
0730? Not if you need to park a car! One car park (750) for the whole working station will make for a grand bun fight.:}

The Nr Fairy
19th Sep 2003, 21:57
And if anyone's walking past a particularly challenging but nicely decorated burger van, stop and say hi !

DamienB
20th Sep 2003, 03:32
Navaleye - 'big' apparently means... 5 of them. :{

pulse1
21st Sep 2003, 02:53
Just got back from Yeovilton. My thanks to all the aircrew who took part but my special appreciation to the pilots of the Firefly, the Sea Vixen and, above all, the crazy Lynx pair.

While I would prefer to see the Vixen in traditional miltary colours, I thought the present colour scheme does emphasise what a beautiful aeroplane it is, so nicely displayed too.

I hope that the two Tornados and the Hawk got down alright. The last I heard was that the Tornados were getting low on fuel while the runway was being cleared of the "battle" debri, and the Hawk pilot was getting rather bored.

Brian Dixon
21st Sep 2003, 03:46
I have to agree, Pulse.

A stunning day. Thank you to everyone involved for making the day what it was.

All displays were excellent, but as you say - the Lynx pair........ :ooh: Outstanding.

Regards, and thanks again.
Brian

BLW Skylark 4
21st Sep 2003, 06:36
As all have said, an excellent day - congratulations and grateful thanks to all involved.

Static was disappointing but I guess this is the reality now of the 21st Century and overstretched armed forces.

Particular highlights for me were the Lynx pair (saw them @ RIAT but they still get better!), the German Navy Tornado and the Junglies at the end.

I shot a couple of hundred high quality digital photographs of the show and especially the Lynx pair, the Junglies and other bits and bobs. If any of the participants want copies of any of these, drop me a line and I will sort out a CD for you. The Lynx pilots may especially like a couple of the photos, as will the loadies on several of the Junglies!

Quite a long drive tho there and back in one day - shame I had to leave, the party looked almost up to RIAT standards!

Paul.

Bill O'Average
21st Sep 2003, 11:15
No doubt the crabs could be picked out by their general civilian turnout. Growbag sleeves rolled up, long hair and grey toecapped flying boots. Tut, standards!!

Airshows, PC formality or a good excuse for a pi55up?

jockspice
23rd Sep 2003, 05:21
This air show wasn't quite the all day party that many may be used to. No aircrew tent, accomodation far away from the base and lack of incentive for people to turn up and display are some of the gripes I have heard. Some have even said they wont come to another Yeovs air show.
Anyone else had any problems?:sad:

Reichman
23rd Sep 2003, 06:24
I completely disagree. I displayed at the weekend and had a thoroughly fantastic time. Arrived on the Fiday and departed Sunday. Navy hospitalty just as good as the previous 4 shows I've done there. Accom is always a bit of a problem at Yeovilton as there is none nearby, so there isn't really anything that can be done about it.

I'll definitely be back next year (which is more than can be said for RIAT)

Reichman

hairyclameater
23rd Sep 2003, 19:40
"Static was disappointing but I guess this is the reality now of the 21st Century and overstretched armed forces"

Re this comment
this may be true - there are fewer aircraft around than before and whats left are mainly dull and boring grey. However the static could have been spiced up in several ways ;
1. As advertised the event celebrated 91 years of Naval aviation and 100 years of powered flight. Neither were well represented in the static- Some museum pieces could have been dragged out as they have been before - it would have been great to see Scimitar, Phantom, Gannet, Buccaneer ,"real" CVix (rather than that Red Bull monstrosity) etc etc rather than those PFA and light jobs which dont belong at a military show!
2. Sitting up at Kinloss for an exercise doing nothing over the w/e were 6 Super Etendards, French and German Atlantics, Dutch and US P3s and a French Navy E2, whilst at Marham on an exchange visit were 4 Italian AMX's (2 had gone to Coltishall for the equally dissapointing Jag bash) Come on guys surely a phone call could have diverted some of these to attend!!??
3. The based assets could have been arranged to show a better reflection of what goes on - just one SHAR on static!? surely one from each squadron and various weapon fits - we're not gonna see them for much longer.

Sure Yeovilton aint what it used to be but with a bit of imagination I'm sure a better static could have been arranged.

I only attended the Friday and a note here- If your'e arranging a public photo call at £15 per head, it would be nice to be able to photograph the aircraft! i.e. Several aircraft had covers on , the barriers were up, funfair and burger bars blah blah blah

I supose we should be thankful it took place at all, but with so few shows on these days, then each should be an event of note!!

:rolleyes: