PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Chtr rates v's Pilot pay

shaablamm
18th Sep 2003, 13:36
Opinions please.

Would companies, government depts, individuals etc etc stop using charter flights as a means of doing business if there was a substantial price rise throughout the charter industry, therefore allowing the G.A sector to pay pilots properly. At least the award?

Obviously there would be an immediate downturn but in the long run?

More obviously there is alot more to it than this but when was the last official costing and rise done in G.A to allow for even the standard growth rates within our economy?

THREEGREENS
20th Sep 2003, 10:39
Agencies and government departments would pay more IF everyone raised their prices together BUT that is extremely unlikely AND the chances of any increase being passed on to the pilots is very remote!:} It's not really about increasing prices to pay reasonable and fair wages; it's more about pilots not 'slutting' themselves and working for nothing.:\
On the other side of the coin; weren't you on the board of an orgainsation that was renowned for not paying pilots and continues to underpay them to this very day?:{ No point whinging and whining when you have been a party to the same scandalous behaviour that you are now deriding eh?

shaablamm
21st Sep 2003, 18:59
Hey THREEGREENS you and a few others over there at the gong have persisted in assuming that I am who u think I am. YOU ARE ALL WRONG, I am not and have never been on the board as you say of that particular organisation. You have mixed me up with three different people. WRONG, WRONG and WRONG. Just leave it now will ya.

Now to the topic. Yes it would be nice if pilots would not sell themselves short. You are right, however when was the last time you looked at the award for a junior grade three instructor or single engine daytime charter pilot. You may aswell go and work in the greengrocer if you want to fly the nest as such. The problem is compounded by young pilots, especially instructors, who live with there parents and are willing to work for free because they can and the parents think that it will get little Johnny ahead that little bit quicker.

As I said in my post, I think if there was a price hike and possibly a complete overhaul over a period of years then things would be better. Yes, some companies would go under and pilots would become redundant but that would just prove that the way things are can't be self sustained unless everybody keeps raping the system as they are now.

THREEGREENS
22nd Sep 2003, 15:47
To quote an old arabian saying:
"You can paint a garbage bin....but it's still a garbage bin!"

Unless you have changed your name, you are the same Gary Cri**le as you were last week. (Refer to the above quote for clarification.):O

shaablamm
23rd Sep 2003, 08:03
Nope, wrong. I would suggest you cease in trying to ID me. Funnily enough a mate actually knows who you are talking about.

THREEGREENS
23rd Sep 2003, 16:06
Nice try Gary...........tell someone who cares!:}

grrowler
24th Sep 2003, 10:05
Anyway, back to the topic...

I don't see that it would even require that much of a price hike.

Say you bump up the charter rate by only $10/ hr and pass it on to the pilot. That's a tiny increase in your customers prices, and an extra 100 bucks going to someone doing 10 hrs week. It would make a big difference to my lifestyle anyway!

You can't tell me customers are going to balk when they're told there charter is going to cost (say) $2550 instead of $2500.

So where's the problem? Operators would pocket the extra profit and continue to pay their pilots the same... yep that's right! Or maybe I'm just being cynical :rolleyes:

squire
24th Sep 2003, 12:05
Anyone ever heard of UNION's ????? I know its an old concept but unless ya stand together ya gonna get porked but good by any employer with no scruples. Ya cant blame everyone else the problems cos everyone wants to further there own career an fark everyone else. If ya form a union at least you have some say in industry standards:E

THREEGREENS
24th Sep 2003, 13:17
Squire,
It evidently has been tried before but couldn't get off the ground because no-one bothered to join. Why Not you ask? A damned fine question and anyone with the answer; let's hear it. I know that if we had a union for GA (Instructors, charter guys and gals etc) I for one would join immediately so I might be able to earn what I am supposedly worth.:O
Grrowler,
You too are right but what has happened to all the increases wev'e seen over the years.....? None (or very little) has made its way into the pilots pockets because we are not seen as a significant cost to the operators (unlike fuel, maintenance etc).Look at parachuting drivers....parachuting has gone up hundreds of $s over the past few years (especially with tandem ops)and the drivers still get NOTHING for their efforts.:uhoh:
Until we ALL speak up and ask for a fair days pay, NOTHING WILL CHANGE!:\ It's not really fair to call the operators unscrupulous either because the bottom line is that WE HAVEN'T DEMANDED a fair and proper wage for our efforts and qualifications. If we did, then maybe things just might change!

squire
24th Sep 2003, 13:41
So lets get the ball rolling with a new thread titled "who wants a union 4 GA". I'm sure the results will be interesting eh comrades!;)