PDA

View Full Version : Flight Screening

jas21
18th Sep 2003, 06:45
Hi everyone, I have passed the first stage of pilot selection for the SSO Pilot Army. I have been recommd for Flight screening in Tamworth.
Does anyone who has been to flight screening recommend any kind of training before going up there. I have a GFPT but no aeros.

Thanking you in advance

shaablamm
18th Sep 2003, 08:28
jas21, I know that alot of the instructors like the idea of some flying experience, at least 5 hrs. You aren't in that category however, being a GFPT holder. I think you know the answer, get down to your local aerobatic school and do some aeros. Not a rating just some experience.

I would suggest concentrating on basic stuff like wing overs, spins, inverted flight and some high 'g' manouvres. Just to get conditioned a little for two reasons mainly. One so that you are a little more comfortable with this type of flying and therefore you can concentrate on what the instructor wants to see and two, so you don't puke on him or her.

Maybe you could get some of that Aero exp in a tail dragger too. This will help you when you get on the CAP10.

Obviously this all costs money and it will only give you a small advantage and they do, of course, take all this in to consideration and would expect you to perform a little better than the average so it could work against you too. Contradictory, maybe but I think you have to decide what's best for you.

Good luck.

jas21
18th Sep 2003, 13:17
thanks for the info.

I'm just a bit concerned about motion sickness etc and want to get an idea;

I did all my training in YMMB. Have moved up to Sydeny, any recommendations on taildragger aeros training in Sydney?

shaablamm
18th Sep 2003, 13:42
Go and see Jim at Camden. He works at the school that flies the Citabrias (great tail dragger at a reasonable cost). I don't know what the school is called as I haven't been there for a few years but he still works there.

As for BK, well I suppose you could go and see the Sydney Aerobatic School but I don't know much about them. I believe alot of the instructors there are ex military. Maybe somebody else will guide you here as I've been out of the system for a while. Hope all goes well.

plear crop
20th Sep 2003, 15:55
Jas21, Go to Schofields Flying Club, ask for an instructor named Anthony. Check out http://www.schofield-flying-club.com.au

He's ex-RAAF and helped me pass flight screening. I am now at Pt Cook doing OTS. He will help you out in both tailwheel and aeros. I heard that he's helped quite a few students get through flight screening too.

Anyway, best of luck mate.. hope to see you around the traps!