PDA

View Full Version : American Airlines

dfearns
18th Sep 2003, 03:45
I will be flying with American Airlines next April, from MAN to Chicago. Never been to america before, and also have never flown long haul. Just wondered if anyone could let me into what to expect from the flight. The website says we are on a 767-300. Just lookin for some opinions on the airline and the service.

Going to America on a theatre tour with a show! Doing lots of internal flying, any ideas on what the internals are like? Going to:

Chicago
Cleveland
New York

Flying from one 2 the other, and then back to chicago for the flight back to manchester!

Just lookin for opinions on the airline and service they provide.

Thanks in advance!

GlueBall
18th Sep 2003, 09:16
Leg room's OK if you're travelling coach; nice adjustable leather headrests that keep your head in place. But inflight service is nothing to write home about; BA inflight service is superb when compared with AA's. BA cabin attendants work harder.

BrightonGirl
18th Sep 2003, 10:20
I've always tended to like AA more than Delta and United, but I'd be hard-pressed to say why. And I've never flown either of them internationally.

You could go to www.seatguru.com (sorry, don't know how to link) and check out their planes' configurations.

They do have, as they advertise, "more room in coach." I'm pretty short, but even I notice the difference flying coach between AA and the other two biggies. And I swear their coach seats are a smidge wider than Delta's. That said, I've never been on one of their 767's.

Flying internally, we're all still trying to get used to arriving at the airport extra early to go thru the enhanced security checks. Don't know whether they do this in the UK, but here they open your luggage (in your presence) before checking it to the hold.

I always found Chicago a rather impersonal city; but it's plenty big, with lots of sights to see while you're there. And it shouldn't be very cold by April.

Never been to Cleveland. I suspect I haven't missed much, but perhaps you'll correct me in a few months time.

New York, of course, is one of the most wonderful cities in the world. Small geographically, but just huge in every other way. I've always loved the light in New York -- the way it shines on the buildings. Used to live there and miss it awfully. So much to see you won't be able to do it all. And the people who live there are amazing. They're tough, and thus some people find them cold or caustic. But it's not really true. Great city.

Do get a couple of guide books to go thru before you leave, and pick out a few things in each city that you don't want to miss.

What an exciting trip!!

Ozzy
18th Sep 2003, 19:18
In flight service leaves lots to be desired. If you are in coach and like to have drink plan on spending $5 per drink.

Ozzy

AerSligo
20th Sep 2003, 01:05
Agree with comments above regarding inflight service - pretty poor overall and the 763 does not have seatback TVs unfortunately...
bmi also operate the route and wipe the floor with AA...nice new A330s...seatback entertainment...and the list goes on...
Hope you still have a super trip though!

dfearns
20th Sep 2003, 01:57
wot u mean the 'on board service leaves a lot to be desired'??

as in its crap lol? or just could b improved dramatically?

what are AA like safety wise? I wanted to fly with BMI but they were to expensive for our budget sadly!

thanks in advance

Globaliser
20th Sep 2003, 05:28
Safety wise you don't need to worry about AA.

Cabin service in economy, however, is (in my experience of AA trans-Atlantic) largely a matter of going through the motions at the set piece times. bmi have been getting themselves a good reputation in this department and, inevitably, quality costs money once the market finds out about it.

newarksmells
22nd Sep 2003, 02:32
Chicago's a wonderful city. Friendly people, great food if you like Steaks and pizzas. Head on downtown to Michigan Avenue (The Magnificent Mile) and once you come across the Marriott, go through the hotel and take a right and then and immediate left and you'll find Pizzeria Uno and Pizzeria Due. Both busy places with often a wait of an hour to get in. The Pizza's so thick, they serve it with a knife and fork...heavenly.

Cleveland, visit Jacobs Field and the Rock n'Roll hall of fame. Airport is pretty nasty though in my opinion.

As for New York, if you have time, change your destination to EWR (Newark). It's closer to NYC than LGA or JFK and it is far easier to the city from Newark than it is from La Guardia or Kennedy...and much quicker too. Simply take the monorail from the terminal to the rail station. Trains to Penn station leave every 15 minutes and the cost is $11:00. It drops you off in midtown Manhattan.

When in New York, divide your trips up into sections. Downtown contains the site of the WTC, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Little Italy (to die for), Chinatown (next to Little Italy), The Hudson River, Battery park, Tribeca etc. Midtown, centered around Times Square contains the Thetare District, Rockerfeller Plaza, NBC, CNN, FOX, Times Square, Radio City Music Hall, Sixth and Fifth Avenues and lots of shopping. Uptown is Central Park, the Lincoln Center, Soho and Noho. Enjoy the city, the people, the food. If you don't like crowds, NYC is not the place for you.

E-mail me if you need more info.

BrightonGirl
24th Sep 2003, 07:37
I'd forgotten about the pizzas. Yes, "Chicago Style" pizzas (as they have come to be called) are deep-dish, very good.

And there's another food that I'd forgotten about --- which I was told when I lived nearby was exclusively Chicagoan: white-chocolate covered pretzels. Nowadays that doesn't sound too good to me, but as I recall, they were good back then.

And I seem to recall a casual restaurant somewhere near the Loop (as part of downtown is called, because of the loop made by the overhead train) called Flo's. Had fabulous deep-dish pies. The blueberry and the pecan were outstanding.

AA safety no question; have as much faith as you would in BA.