View Full Version : Lost my mail!

Evening Star
17th Sep 2003, 15:31
Help!

Apple Mail in OS X 10.2.

I have two email addresses I can use, with one being my main address, although route both through the same ISP account (main reason of two addresses is that it allows recipient of business email to see a business address). Last night, for the first time since getting the Mac, had to send something from the business address, so set up the separate account within Mail. Managed to send the email but then noticed that every email in my inbox was duplicated. Thought it best not to tamper with it so closed mail and went off for a think.

Decided that needed to find out why secondary account caused such mayhem, so opened mail later and got a warning message saying mail was locked by user (me!) on local. Had a choice of read only, quit or open anyway. Quit did as advertised on the box. Read only got itself tied up in knots, while opening anyway allowed me to remove the secondary account. Noticed that messages no longer duplicated. Closed Mail. Reopening later found inbox and sentbox empty. Cannot find my lost mail anywhere. Other mailboxes (email moved from in or sent, in other words not requiring my attention) are unharmed. As you can imagine I am not a happy bunny :{:{. While I can cope with losing a fair amount in both boxes (who needs the jokes really?), there are a couple of important messages I would like to retrive.

One interesting thing is that I connected to my ISP and ran get mail, whereupon a random 20 of the lost emails reappeared, including a few although not all of the important ones.

Cannot find solution in help files, although now know that what I should have done was set up both address as separate items in default account. Well, that counts as wise after the event.

Any suggestions as to how I retrieve the lost email?

Not feeling quite so smug about the Mac just at the moment :ouch: :* !