PDA

View Full Version : Michael O'Leary New Longest Leg

lowfaresbuster
16th Sep 2003, 17:35
Ryanair has announced a direct Stansted (STN) to Tampere (TMP) today: according to the timetable 3 hrs outbound, and return 3 hrs 10 mins.

This is his longest leg yet.

Hard to do 2 returns per day on that distance- it's a bit of a change in the business plan...

from Ryanair.com...

News Release
NEW RYANAIR ROUTE BETWEEN UK AND FINLAND
LONDON-STANSTED – TAMPERE FOR £29.99
Ryanair, Europe’s No.1 low fares airlines, today (17 September) announced a new daily route DIRECT between London-Stansted and Tampere, Finland with fares starting from £29.99 including taxes. This is the airline's 133rd route across Europe.

Announcing details of the new route, Lotta Lindquist, Ryanair’s Sales Manager for Scandinavia said: “Ryanair’s low fares arrived in Finland with the opening of our Stockholm-Tampere route in April 2003.

To date, over 5m passengers have taken advantage of Ryanair’s low fares in Scandinavia and we expect to carry 80,000 passengers annually on this new route. This will be a huge boost to local tourism and will create many new jobs in the region.

Ryanair Passengers Save 95%
FINNAIR (1) Ryanair Low Fare (2) Saving
£570.90 £29.99 95%
Tax inclusive fares as quoted on September 15, 2003.
1. London Heathrow to Tampere via Helsinki. 2. London-Stansted Direct to Tampere

“The route starts on October 30 and passengers can expect to save over 95% on the fares charged by High Fare airlines like Finnair. Better yet, Ryanair is No. 1 for punctuality and offers has a direct route to Tampere from London, so passengers will get to London quicker than anyone else.”

Timetable
Flight From Depart Arrive Days
FR 2194 London-Stansted 15:15 20:15 1234567
FR 2195 Tampere 20:40 21:50 1234567

FlyLowCost
16th Sep 2003, 18:47
Yes, it's five minutes longer than the STN-PMO route.

Let's see if it will work, since the NYO-TMP route isn't performing well. They reduced from two to one the number of daily flights between Skavsta and Tampere, but people who working there they still see very poor load factor.

Departures Beckham
16th Sep 2003, 20:51
We already have Flying Finn operating the STN-HEL route once daily, but I can't remember what the loads are like (hopefully FJW or Timz will fill us in).

Are Helsinki and Tampere close?

JW411
16th Sep 2003, 21:08
Not if you are walking!

sparkymarky
16th Sep 2003, 23:16
Bodes well for PIK, which can look a bit isolated on the Ryanair route map.

charterguy
17th Sep 2003, 02:30
It's yet another Ryanair p1sstake. :mad:

Tampere-Pirkkala is 176 km from Helsinki (approx 2 hours by car). That's further than Heathrow to Birmingham. Yet these 1diots refer to it as Helsinki-Tampere !!!

I am sure most pax would sooner pay an extra 20 quid to land at a real airport. They would save more than 20 quid by not having to hire a car.

CG

MarkD
17th Sep 2003, 05:56
charterguy

FR are not claiming Tampere to be Helsinki. Read it again and take your time!

Jordan D
17th Sep 2003, 06:00
What's at TMP for people to there?

Jordan

chippy63
17th Sep 2003, 15:32
It's near an attractive lake area, got a uni, and a Lenin Museum.

Wing Commander Fowler
17th Sep 2003, 19:10
Errmm......

Lowfaresbuster says:

Hard to do 2 returns per day on that distance- it's a bit of a change in the business plan...

Who other than a few within the management of the company would claim to know the "Business Plan" for FR?

"Hard to do 2 returns per day on that distance"??? They DO have more than one aircraft you know........

Hmmm....

:zzz:

MarkD
17th Sep 2003, 20:05
Nokia has a unit in Tampere... and the town of Nokia is 15km away.

PAXboy
17th Sep 2003, 21:13
I doubt that FR are changing their biz model. They have made large amounts of money by NOT changing it.

If they were to change, what better way than incremental change by slowly extending the range of sectors?

The information that Nokia is close to hand is, I suggest, the key piece of information.

FlyLowCost
17th Sep 2003, 22:51
I have been in both Tampere and Nokia and except a small unit in Tampere there isn't nothing concerning with the Nokia Group.
The town of Nokia just has the same name, nothing else.

Howevere there are many factories in the Tampere area.

lowfaresbuster
18th Sep 2003, 16:51
Wing Commander Fowler

Who other than a few within the management of the company would claim to know the "Business Plan" for FR?
possibly every journalist/analyst that O'Leary divulges this information to. As well as every shareholder that gets an annual report!

"Hard to do 2 returns per day on that distance"??? They DO have more than one aircraft you know........

I mean they will not get 2 return legs per day from the one same aircraft on this route- which has been a fundamental model of their business. I think you knew what I meant there- but persist in being pedantic- do you work for FR?

brabazon
18th Sep 2003, 17:25
More fundamentally, if Ryanair can't extract a significantly higher yield per passenger on such a route with its associated higher time and distance related costs (navigation, fuel, maintenance etc) then surely it makes more sense to operate the aircraft on a shorter route.

Frankfurt_Cowboy
19th Sep 2003, 04:29
And here's me thinking it was a post honeymoon revelation from the new Mrs MoL!!

AJ
19th Sep 2003, 05:19
We'll see if the airline can make a go of it - some business potential, but essentially another 'pioneer' route for the flying harps.

The company will try to create new markets where some potential has been id'd but this hasn't always worked, and in those few cases, the aircraft are simply redeployed to boost frequencies on more profitable routes.

Afaik, the airline isn't making any connections with Helsinki.

Bear in mind that low-cost carriers elsewhere are currently experimenting with longer sectors where vaguely feasible.

Can't blame them for trying.

I personally thought they were bonkers flying to Hahn (couldn't even find the damn place in an atlas), but they've since turned it into a hub operation, so it just goes to show what is possible out there, provided you offer some low enough fares.

With regards to Flying Finn - all I know is that their fares aren't that competitive; last time I checked it was £135 for there & back (STN-HEL). You can fly for a few bob less on Finnair. Having said that, last time I passed through the airport the flight's check-in was doing brisk trade.

Remember buzz tried the HEL route for a while, but they couldn't make a go of it in the end. Shame - £60 all-in to Finland was pretty good....(rather boring city though)

Wing Commander Fowler
19th Sep 2003, 05:37
Lowfaresbuster - what does it matter who I work for the fact remains that MOL is NOT likely to explain the finer detail of his business plan to Quote:"every journalist/analyst" despite your thoughts to the contrary..... He strikes me as being a VERY shrewd cookie and you can more or less bank on VERY FEW PEOPLE knowing the whole plan.

Yes I know you meant "they will not get 2 return legs per day from the one same aircraft on this route" and they don't actually practice that on many of their route structures as it stands. Few aircraft do double rotations to the same destination - most will do a rotation to one destination and then a rotation to another. This aircraft that will do the TMP could quite easily follow that up with a dublin or a tellytubbyland for that matter. The fact that you don't understand that tells me you DON'T work for FR....... It does tell me however that you have a fairly well developed chip on your shoulder - I am not the pedant here so don't be so prickly.

Tom the Tenor
19th Sep 2003, 08:23
Last Wednesday evening the Mrs and I had a long flight back from Rome CIA to Stansted with Ryanair and because of the strong headwind the flight took just a little over 2 hours, 25 minutes. Same aircraft with same crew continued on to do a roatation to Cork. Wished we could have been on it but we returned the next day instead. Sounds like good use of the aeroplanes to me. :8

FlyLowCost
19th Sep 2003, 15:02
Here a point about Ryanair operations:

- European base (HHN, NYO, CRL, BGY) plus SNN

all planes fly 8 sectors per day (4 round trip). Every crew fly 4 sectors (2 round trip) per day.
The plane leaves from its base and go back every roundtrip.
Turnaround time is 25 minuti. In the middle of the day when they chage the crew the turnaround is 50/60 minutes.

- DUB:

a mix of 8, 10, 12 sectors per day. So some crews fly 3 roundtrip.

- PIK:

one plane flies 10 sectors, the others 8.

- LTN:

the only B732 uses to do 10 sectors.

- STN:

one plane, a B732 do 10 sectors on the STN-PIK.
All the others a mix of 6, 8 sectors.
When you have 6 sectors, usually one is the longest, like PMO, CIA, MJV, one is about two hours like GSE, TSF, BGY, GRO, and the last one is a short one like ORK, MST, NRN, HHN.

Wing Commander Fowler
19th Sep 2003, 17:00
Well that sorts that one out then....... next thread please!

;)