PDA

View Full Version : Is There A List Of Which Qantas Flights To NZ Are Cheaper?

airsupport
16th Sep 2003, 12:14
Interesting article in the news this morning, that says Qantas are operating flights across the Tasman, using normal Qantas Aircraft, but being Crewed by NZ Crews on less salary and conditions than their Australian Crews.

These are separate flights to the "normal" Qantas flights, so how do you find out which are which?

Obviously the fares will be cheaper on the ones Crewed by the NZ Crews, won't they? :rolleyes: :confused:

topend3
16th Sep 2003, 12:53
usually, if operated by a subsidiary will say in the booking "operated by Jetconnect " which is the nz QF subsidiary, not sure if it does though, i think it says for qflink flights though.

airsupport
16th Sep 2003, 13:22
I was just wondering whether or not the fares on these flights would be less, because of the lower costs, or whether Qantas will just make extra profit by using these NZ Crews? :confused:

At least when Air NZ use lower cost Crews, they charge less for the fares, and call it Freedom Air, they don't pretend they are normal Air NZ flights.

tobzalp
16th Sep 2003, 14:00
I have just researched this with a very relaible source (not qantas) and this is the same as any code share. You go and buy a ticket from Qantas. You get the differet advance purchase discounts and specials that have certain seats allocated. You may very well find that you are seated next to a person who booked on a partner airline and may have paid very much more or very much less for the ticket booked at exactly the same time on the same day. The crew cost is not factored in at the actual ticket sale level to the public (I know that this statement is going to get misinterpreted), by this i mean that they don't go " well that 2.30 melbourne aukland flight is flown by kiwi pilots who are cheaper so lets knock a buck twenty of the price of all the tickets on that one"

Plus it would make absolutley no sense to make them cheaper. The cheaper labour is a cost cutting measure. if the prices were discounted to reflect the cheaper crew cost then the entire exercise is a waste of time.

airsupport
16th Sep 2003, 16:22
Okay, that is what I was curious about.

So the public will not benefit, Qantas (Australian) staff will suffer, just to line the pockets of Qantas. :(

apacau
17th Sep 2003, 06:45
With a launch fare of $149 one way including all taxes BNE-CHC, you'd have to say Pacific Blue is the cheapest across the Tasman.

Chocks Away
17th Sep 2003, 15:26
cheap flights? ...fill your boots fellas. Yes it's happening at QF also.

Qantas to simplify fares, adopt single class on Tasman
Dateline: Wednesday September 17, 2003

Qantas said it will move to a single-class cabin product and introduce a "simpler, more flexible fare structure" on its transtasman flights beginning next month.

"In a highly competitive environment, and particularly on short-haul trips between Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch, there is not sufficient demand for business class," Executive GM-Sales and Marketing John Borghetti explained.
The carrier, which operates 111 weekly services between Australia and New Zealand, will reconfigure the 737-300s used on its transtasman routes in a move that will result in a 9% increase in capacity. The all-economy flights will launch Oct. 15.

On that same day, Qantas's new fare package will go into effect. It includes one-way fares that can be mixed and matched as well as the removal of minimum stays including Saturday-night restrictions, advance purchase conditions and seasonal surcharges. One-way fares will be priced from A$243 ($162), comprising a base fare of A$179 and A$64 in taxes. The Sydney-Auckland return fare will start at A$451, down from A$675 currently.--Loren Farrar

airsupport
17th Sep 2003, 15:42
Cheaper flights now from Qantas. :confused:

They are doing this for the public of course. ;)

Just a coincidence I guess that Pacific Blue seats went on sale today. :rolleyes:

Also covers the period that Air NZ have lowered their fares, with the coming introduction of their Airbuses onto the route. :rolleyes: