PDA

View Full Version : CAL Chances

arob
16th Sep 2003, 07:10
Can anyone please tell me what are the minimums to get a CAL Interview? I have seen some companies ask for 500 hrs in type (747-400) and nothing else. I have heard 1000 in type etc. Some donīt even mention total time wanted. Their web page also shows different minimums

I have a 747-200, and 747-400 type rating with about 750 PIC on the 400 and 8900 hrs total time..... do I stand a chance?

Thank you

fender
16th Sep 2003, 09:19
Ofcourse you do!!!
Why? Do you have 2 heads or something?

Jim Morehead
17th Sep 2003, 03:20
AROB

<<<Do you have 2 heads or something?>>>

The previous guy wanted to know this...

I have MOREHEADs and they hired me!!!!

Where are you in the application process?

Jim MOREHEAD

arob
17th Sep 2003, 04:53
I am only worried about my total jet time PIC which is 750 total, however I have 1300 hrs more on smaller aircraft. I have seen guys not get called for interviews with far more hours PIC on jets.

According to the CAL website they want 2000 PIC on jets. Is that a hard requirment MR Morehead?

Congratulations on getting hired with CAL.:ok:

As of right now I am waiting to hear back from the headhunter.

Jim Morehead
17th Sep 2003, 05:45
AROB...

Let us know what you hear. In the meantime, I see what I can find out.

flyingcrazy
17th Sep 2003, 10:20
Jim M,
I got +2500 hrs with +2300 jet hrs, but not type rated on any CAL's aircrafts. What do you think about my chances to get invited for an FO position?
Thanks in advance.

FC

fender
17th Sep 2003, 12:16
All anyone can suggest to those who are seeking employment with CAL is apply and wait. The best I can figure is that all applications are considered equally. Just because you have 15000 hours with Checking and Training background does not make you any more attractive for a CAL position than someone with 2500 hours.
CAL are more interested in a diverse background of experience with people who are likely to stay on, not use them as a stepping stone.
If you are really interested in a career with CAL, your CV will probably reflect it, don't you think?
Good luck and keep smiling.

Jim Morehead
18th Sep 2003, 04:29
Fender is right.

If you want the job APLLY and keep hounding them. No two sets of qualifications are the same. They are hiring and they are filling classes. How fast? I don't know, but I should get an idea when I get back to TPE on the 19th. See ya in the crew room about 6:00pm.

fender
18th Sep 2003, 11:38
Hey Jim, see you next week.

Hachiouji-shi
19th Sep 2003, 19:17
Alright, so when is the next intake or interview expected to be?
Thanks...

flyingcrazy
19th Sep 2003, 21:20
Thanx Fender, Jim. :ok:

FC

Jim Morehead
19th Sep 2003, 22:41
On the question of interview and intake, the process is relatively continuous. There was a new pilot class that started on Monday and I would apply if I wanted the job no matter what my qualifications.

I think CAL has either bought or leased another unexpected A340 next month. From what I could find out talking to these wayward pilots tonight in the crew room, there may be an oversupply of Airbus pilots right now,but excesses don't last too long.

777Efoh
19th Sep 2003, 23:36
Hi Jim,

With regards to basings, what other bases are there besides the Taipei base?

Also would the remuneration be different for the various bases?

If I am based elsewhere other than Taipei, would I get an x number of consecutive days off per month?

Thanks in advance for the answers...

arob
20th Sep 2003, 04:48
Hey Jim

Thanks for putting out all the info. It is always helpful to hear it from someone inside the company.

I am still waiting to hear back from CAL to find out whether or not I get an intreview.

Cheers

arob

fender
20th Sep 2003, 07:52
Latest is, more A340s on their way maybe 500s for Ultra Long Haul???
Bases in Europe and USA and perhaps OZ definately on the cards. Continuous courses running and yes consecutive 8 days off/month.
Some flexibility required by you on rare occassions so,don't start complaining 2 weeks after being checked to line that you got asked to fly on a day off, will you.
All facilities are good and everyone has been quite helpful.
You fly back to home base on days off on seat available basis which on rare occassions causes some inconvenience.

Jim Morehead
20th Sep 2003, 11:14
CAL has Captain bases in LAX,SFO,YVR, and AMS. Everyone else is based in TPE to my knowledge. 744 is the only base that I know of to have pilots based outside of TPE.

I understand that there are some First Officers that do get longer layovers outside of TPE on 744,but not the 8 days that Captains receive. 8 days goes pretty fast, trust me.

777Efoh
20th Sep 2003, 11:33
Thanks for the replies.

So am I right to say that expat FOs who are based in TPE on the 744 do get to go back to their respective countries 8 days per month?

fender
20th Sep 2003, 14:14
Depends if agreed upon by CAL when you are employed but usually, Y.E.S. you can go home for your 8 days off.
sheeesh!!

Dynasty 744
21st Sep 2003, 18:44
Interesting to note that IAC are offerring 8 days off at base i.e Taipei, whereas direct entry gets 8 days off AND a space available to get home. Also the IAC pay is about us$400 short of the direct entry pay!! A little bit of negotiation is required here if you go through IAC me thinks!

Hachiouji-shi
23rd Sep 2003, 13:08
So, Arob (and others), how long have you been waiting for them to invite you for an interview since the day you applied?

arob
23rd Sep 2003, 16:07
Hachiouji-shi

I have been waiting for 8 days now. As soon as I hear something back I will let you know. I guess it must take a few days for CAL to review the application.

see ya

arob

gtaflyer
25th Sep 2003, 03:40
hi Jim:

just thought i let you know I got 2 emails today from cal including a 10 page application form, it seems to go on and on but i filled it all in and sent by post . will let you know the outcome.:D

P24BA
25th Sep 2003, 07:03
When I was with CAL I think we had bases in San Fran, Vancouver & Los Angeles - P1s only.