PDA

View Full Version : Done the PPL!...

Pilot16
16th Sep 2003, 05:06
Passed the Skill Test just yesterday!! :O :cool:

Now comes the hour building...I'll probably be doing it over a year along with college... Any tips on how to structure the hour buliding? I know I have to do a 300nm route with two stops...

P16

Charlie Zulu
16th Sep 2003, 05:33
Hi Pilot16,

Congratulations on passing your PPL! Great feeling, eh?

You might as well start studying for your ATPL's as it'll a good few months for the CAA to get there act together and get your nice new shiney brown folder with "JAR-FCL Private Pilots Licence" written upon it sent out to you. They'll cash your cheque within a day or two though. <laughs> ;)

Anyway when you do get your PPL in your hands then for hour building I wouldn't just burn holes in the sky.

Use it fo practice VFR navigation. For that is what the JAA CPL test involves (its basically like a JAA PPL Skills Test but to stricter standards).

Practice holding headings precisely as well as height. Get trimming the aircraft as second nature (you'll know what trimming an aircraft means when doing your IR!). Have a checkout (a think you need an endorsement nowadays) on an complex type as having experience in say an Arrow will do wonders for when it comes to your CPL training (the test is on a complex aeroplane).

Do an aerobatics course to make you feel a lot more confident in the airframe.

Get some tailwheel time...

Do some flying abroad.

Take friends / family flying - for lunch to Le Touquet / Jersey maybe?

Above all just enjoy your flying!

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu

No. 2
16th Sep 2003, 21:51
Agree with Charlie Zulu about the VFR nav. It's a great way to build you're confidence and ideal preparation for the CPL skills test. Go and visit some new airfields and try and push yourself a little. Though a word of warning would be to start gently-you don't want to go mad and do the 300Nm straight off!

No. 2

silverknapper
16th Sep 2003, 22:06
Well done mate

Carlie Zulu - with all your spare cash please could I have a tail dragger rating, and an aero course!!!! (joking!!)

Dear Santa

I've been a good boy this year.......................

SK

Charlie Zulu
16th Sep 2003, 23:17
Hi SK,

I've been pretty lucky with an aeros course...

A friend in the group Beagle Pup I fly is a CPL/FI and has been on an Aerobatic Instructor course (he did his CPL/FI for fun quite a few years back). Only need to pay for the flying time oh plus a few beers down the pub!

The only problem is trying to get the aeros course done at the same time we're both of work! Do'h!!!!

I'm going to practice what I preach as well and get some tailwheel time. But before I do I'm saving for the Multi Addon to my FAA CPL/IR. (I'm poor now!).

My letter is being sent to Santa:

---
Dear Santa,

I've been a very good boy this year and have eaten all my greens. Please may I have some training in your sleigh? If you'd prefer not to loose an engine for practice after takeoff, training in an Extra 300 would be a very nice alternative.

Richard.
---

:-)

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu

Pilot16
17th Sep 2003, 07:48
thanks for the advise everyone...especially Charlie Zulu...I would like to start on my ATPL, but Id like to do it residential...as I'm planning on a degree at univrersity next year, im finding it real tough fitting the ATPL...

I thought about Air Transport Operations by City uni, but those fees were, my :ooh:

Foundation Degree in avation Management and Operations a possibity...

So is BSc Aviation Management. but this would mean a long wait till the ATPL

silverknapper
17th Sep 2003, 14:31
Why not forget the degree then? It would be a lot trying to do a degree and fit in time for ATPL's.

Unless you did an arts degree.................

Pilot16
17th Sep 2003, 17:32
silverknapper,

If you have read around, a degree is being highly advised by most Prruners.

silverknapper
17th Sep 2003, 18:20
Yes I have read around thank you. While I agree with 99% of opinions here, I think that at your stage, with a PPL in hand and a definite direction you would be better served doing the groundschool. People who I suggest go to uni are the ones who "quite fancy being a pilot" but seem to:
a. have no real idea of whats involved
b. not been near an aircraft
c. Can see themselves with other career possibilities
This is only my opinion. I went to uni to do aero eng and consider it a waste of the 4 years. My ambitions hadn't changed and I had wasted time and considerable effort on quite a tough degree which I naievly (???) thought would make me a good candidate for an airline job. The good point was that it made the bank more amenable to lending me bags of cash.

Cheers

SK

buzzc152
17th Sep 2003, 18:34
I must agree. I went to uni with every intention of becoming a pilot (albeit an RAF one so hence uni and uni air squadron). Had I known though before that I would end up going to the commercial world I wouldn't have bothered with uni (though I don't regret it). It's 3 years gone that I could have spent doing my flying/ATPL's etc. Result is I'm now 26 and still working on CPL/IR, where as I'm sure if I hadn't gone to uni I would have completed flying training years ago.

Still, I had a good time at uni and probably wouldn't be earning the money I do now without a degree. 6 of one hald a dozen of another really.

Good luck

ps, if you haven't already it is probably worth getting your class 1 medical...... just to make sure they'll be no nasty suprises later.

FlyingForFun
17th Sep 2003, 18:50
It's definitely worth going to uni, IMHO. It gives you a broader range of knowledge to put on your CV. It provides a good fall-back for you if, for example, you loose your medical at any point in your career. Besides which, it's a fun experience, you'll mature more than you ever imagined, and come out a completely different, generally better, and more employable person.

FFF
-------------

Pilot16
17th Sep 2003, 19:32
Thanks very much for the replies, really helpful.

Didnt mean to sound rude silverknapper, if so, sorry.

Theres always a mixed opinion on this. Its deffinately true that doing a degree will add years...Together with the ATPL/CPL will make me older...

It boils down to me at the end of the day... :uhoh: