PDA

View Full Version : UK Landing Sites.Manchester.

Hover Bovver
15th Sep 2003, 23:59
Anyone know of any close sites to Manchester United Football Club (Old Trafford). Its for use by a twin.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Hover Bovver

Jed A1
16th Sep 2003, 00:12
Barton airfield is about the best. Fuel available and only a two minute drive away.

Otherwise I know a couple of local factories in Trafford Park have let the occaisional machine land in the car parks before. Probably more to do with their business tough.

Vfrpilotpb
16th Sep 2003, 02:53
There's a cricket field very near too!;)

Helinut
16th Sep 2003, 04:03
There are or were several landing sites a tiny bit closer to Old Trafford than Barton (including the cricket pitch which is horrible as a landing site IMHO). If my recollection is correct, most/all of them are tight sites within a congested area. This means you will need a twin and the special CAA permission to land at such a site. This is really only a practical proposition for a commercial operator. It requires that one of your "approved" staff does a site survey which is submitted to the CAA. In due course, they will/may send you a permission. If you have an AOC, the turn around is a few days - if not the GA department take forever.

Much better to use Barton which is friendly and usable by singles - see the normal sources for more info. Check your hours of use against their operating hours though.

Squadgy
2nd Oct 2003, 22:33
Bit late commenting on this one, Barton can extend opening hours for commercial heli ops - think you can arrive and depart 0800-2300L (usual hours 0900-SS), lighting, RFFS and FIS can be provided - not too much charged to opearte out of hours either - check :

http://www.bartonaerodrome.co.uk/pilot_info_heliops.asp

for more info

ACX
4th Oct 2003, 18:54
"This is really only a practical proposition for a commercial operator. It requires that one of your "approved" staff does a site survey which is submitted to the CAA. In due course, they will/may send you a permission. If you have an AOC, the turn around is a few days - if not the GA department take forever."

A number of private operators use the cricket ground with the Permission of the CAA.

You need to speak to the GA Dept. I have never had any problems and they are always very helpful. They will normally turn around same day if required. For private flights I have never been asked to carry out or provide a site survey. As I understand they make their decision based on the OS maps and if needed aerial photographs. They also look carefully at the pilots experiance and whether the site is fit for a single or twin.

Even after a Permission has been issued the final desicion is left to you as the pilot on the day. A standard condition of their Permission is that "the helicopter can alight clear without danger to persons or propety on the surface in the event of an engine failure"

ACX