PDA

View Full Version : Why are some slf so rude?

radeng
15th Sep 2003, 21:59
Last night, I flew to ARN from LHR. I know airline food isn't the best in the world, but I've never before seen someone in business class eating sandwiches out of a bag....Still, the real amazement for me was the American guy next to me. When offered extra bread, he did say 'no thanks'. That was the only time he said thankyou to the CC serving him, and he never once said 'please' when asking for anything.

Radeng saying 'please may I have champagne?' got two bottles though!

So just how do the CC put up with these people?

I also figure I'm flying too much when BA cabin staff recognise me from previous flights......

Pax Vobiscum
15th Sep 2003, 23:53
Hi radeng - I know what you mean. I suppose the simple answer to your question is: "because SLF are people"! If you want to do a job with a substantial 'service' element to it, part of the job description is the ability to deal with sh1theads, while smiling sweetly and murmuring "How may I help you, sir?" (such people are usually, but not always, male).

I could never do that, which is just my weakness, I guess :D - hats off to those that can!

Avman
16th Sep 2003, 03:08
It's not in the American culture to say "please" when answering a question such as, "what would you like to drink Sir"? "Gimme a beer" or, "beer" is all you can expect. They're not being rude (that's our perception), it's just their way. Same with some other nationalities. We might say lots of pleases and thank yous in Britain but how often does a shop assistant say goodbye or bye bye when you leave? Here in Holland it's perfectly natural. Different countries, different cultures. That's all.

Wot No Engines
16th Sep 2003, 16:59
I regularly end up eating sandwiches that I take myself - not because I want to be rude, but because all airlines struggle to cope a food allergy I have - all that is safe is a vegan meal, which I have never found satisfactory, so I take my own, and if the regular meal is no good for me (it is often fine), I eat my own.

Avman,

have to agree with your comments - I work for an American company, am Brittish and live in Australia - I now speak 3 languages that are quite different, but they all seem to be called English :hmm:

I regularly do see rude pax - they seem to fall into 2 camps. Those who are paying themselves for their annual holiday and expect to be treated like royalty and feel let down when they aren't, and suits who drink too much and think they own the world.

Catching flights like many commuters catch a bus or train, the fact I get a better service (even on no-frills) is a bonus.

Final 3 Greens
17th Sep 2003, 01:46
I dont know why, but the CC do a pretty good job of remaining professional.

I couldnt do their job.

Self Loathing Freight
17th Sep 2003, 02:51
Saying please and thank-you is part of American culture. My mother and father taught me to say please and thank-you, just as I and my contemporaries are teaching our children. You have been unfortunate to meet rude people who just happen to be American.

SLF

PAXboy
17th Sep 2003, 07:05
There's a thread running in Cabin Crew about what it takes to be a good Pax. It covers similar ground, as you may imagine. My pennyworth is there, as you may imagine. ;)

carbootking
20th Sep 2003, 01:49
try being in lost property u want to see rude people there especially when rynair tell them to come to us to get rid of them.

reynoldsno1
23rd Sep 2003, 05:53
having lived for a while in the US, have found that Americans tend not to say "please" and "thankyou" when they are using a service or establishment and paying for it. There is a logic here - why should you say "please" for something you're paying for? it isn't necessarily being rude. Whenever I paid for a beer (please), I would always say thank you on receipt - and inevitably get a "pardon me?" as a result... I gave up being "polite" in the end.

rupetime
23rd Sep 2003, 15:45
I worked directly with the public for various airlines in my "junior" years and im glad i did as now i know exactly how rude some people can be - i tolerate no one now and let them get on with it but from an early working age it really tainted my view on humans.

rrt

Tony Flynn
23rd Sep 2003, 16:58
This is one of those life experiences that aren't confined to aircraft cabins. I started my working career behind a bar at 15 years old having lied about my age in a violent town in North Wales. I learnt very quickly that some of the customers were really nice, most you gave what they wanted and didn't even notice them and the bad ones were rude, violent, ignorant people with no regard for anyone else. Later, before starting my own company I worked as a retention officer for a central London cable tv company.This unnamed company was world class at pissing people off! my job was to talk to and visit people wanting to disconnect form the service, needless to say, when my phone rang it wasn't good news. So what I worked out was there are several types of rude people -

1/ Mr and Mrs superior lifeform - unhappy with life, thinks deserves better and society has cheated them from success and afluence that surely should be theirs - probably reads paper during safety demo - no please and thank you here. Twenty to forty something who thinks you should treat them especially well because he has some worthless degree in ironing or something.

2/ The Tabloid reader - loud and opinionated but when seperated from the pack lacks the self confidence that allowed him to be such a prick earlier - wears a football shirt to travel, usually an England one to mark himself out to others as a member of what he believes is the master race. Breathes through mouth.

3/ Mr and Mrs tight but affluent - a real pain in the arse this one, enjoys life's little luxuries but has no intention of paying for them.
Rules are for other people - commonly found pushing into queues, demanding upgrades etc, "I'll never travel with you lot again - your chairman is a a friend of mine" etc etc. everything is negotiable for these people.

There are more types but not many, most are just subtypes of the one's above and nationality is no barrier, these prick exist in every country. I found that a nightclub, a cable tv system and probably an aircraft cabin are just miniture worlds with ever IQ and social class within.

NEVER GIVE THESE PEOPLE CREDIBILITY OR ALCOHOL - both are a catalyst!

Rant over - good luck guys, at least I can pick my customers nowadays
Tony Flynn

ps. Hope to see some of you on ba 2167 9th october, I'm the quiet one down the back with loads of please and thank you!